How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt - VMS

This is a discussion on How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt - VMS ; If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow key to recall the previous command. I then use ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.

    The following sequence "control I" worked once for me. It probably was
    an accident.
    :-)

    The top left side of my show system command says VaxVMS V5.5...

    Chris

  2. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    On Sep 22, 2:34 pm, Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    > Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    > key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    > go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    > rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    > insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    > forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.
    >
    > The following sequence "control I" worked once for me. It probably was
    > an accident.
    > :-)
    >
    > The top left side of my show system command says VaxVMS V5.5...
    >
    > Chris

    Chris,

    I do not have a VAX/VMS 5.5 system to check this on, but depending
    upon your terminal, you should be able to reset the terminal width
    using SET TERMINAL/WIDTH=132. The cursor editing keys will then be
    usable for a longer line.

    Personally, I would create a command file and edit it using the
    editor. It is safer, and usable beyond the present login session.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    In article <9d7c724a-1af6-490e-87fb-209b57ddb05d@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Christopher Lusardi writes:
    >If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    >Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    >key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    >go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    >rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    >insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    >forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.
    >
    >The following sequence "control I" worked once for me. It probably was
    >an accident.
    >:-)
    >
    >The top left side of my show system command says VaxVMS V5.5...
    >
    >Chris

    Recall; ctrl H (goes to beginning of line); arrow-key to where you need
    to add charaters; ctrl-A to insert; enter characters; carriage-return to
    enter amended command.

    Example:

    $ ! this is a real long command line but I forgot to add two characters
    $
    $ ! this is a real long command line but I forgot to add two characters
    -------------------------------cursor here ----------------------------^
    type ctrl-H
    $ ! this is a real long command line but I forgot to add two characters
    --^-----cursor here
    type arrows to move cursor
    $ ! this is a real long command line but I forgot to add two characters
    ------------------^-----cursor here
    ctrl-A to insert
    $ ! this is a really long command line but I forgot to add two characters
    type carrage-return

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  4. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    > Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    > key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    > go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    > rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    > insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    > forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.
    >
    > The following sequence "control I" worked once for me. It probably was
    > an accident.
    > :-)
    >
    > The top left side of my show system command says VaxVMS V5.5...
    >
    > Chris

    Personaly, I always have SET TERM/INSERT in my login.com...
    Or (if on another system) use when needed.

  5. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    > If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    > Vax prompt I am forced to do the following.

    If the command exceeds one line on the screen, then VMS is pretty bad at
    handling it. You need to erase characters from the end until the cursor
    moves to the last character on the line you need to edit. Then delete
    enough characters at end of line to make room for insertion. Then use
    the left arrow to move the cursor (without deleting) to the area where
    you need to insert characters, A to start inserting, insert your
    two characfters, then E to get to end of line, and then retype the
    complete remainder of the line which you had to erase.

    Old cisco switches have better command line editing than VMS.

    SET TERM/WIDTH=132 will allow you to recall the command on a longer line
    (132 instead of 80) and this makes its editing easier. Once done, you
    can set term/width=80 again.

    VMS 5.5 lacked certain recall buffer functionality which was added later
    on. On recent versions of VMS, you could RECALL/output=myfile.txt then
    edit myfile.txt and then RECALL/input=myfile.txt which would reload
    the recall buffer with your corrected command.

  6. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    In article <9d7c724a-1af6-490e-87fb-209b57ddb05d@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Christopher Lusardi writes:
    > If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    > Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    > key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    > go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    > rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    > insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    > forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.

    You need the all-important control-A. Or "set terminal/insert". Or
    both.

  7. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    On 23 sep, 21:29, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <9d7c724a-1af6-490e-87fb-209b57ddb...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups..com>, Christopher Lusardi writes:
    >
    > > If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    > > Vax prompt I am forced to do the following. I have to use the up arrow
    > > key to recall the previous command. I then use the left arrow key to
    > > go to the start of the error that I typed. I then retype the entire
    > > rest of the command. This takes a long time! Is there an easier way to
    > > insert blanks in a previous command and then begin typing the
    > > forgotten letters in the newly created blanks.

    > * *You need the all-important control-A. *Or "set terminal/insert".*Or
    > * *both.

    I prefer control-A, control-H and control-E.
    Most importantly, control-R to chack the result beforehitting
    return :-)

  8. Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Christopher Lusardi wrote:
    >
    >>If I forgot to enter a few letters in an extremely long command at the
    >>Vax prompt I am forced to do the following.

    > If the command exceeds one line on the screen, then VMS is pretty bad at
    > handling it. You need to erase characters from the end until the cursor
    > moves to the last character on the line you need to edit. Then delete
    > enough characters at end of line to make room for insertion. Then use
    > the left arrow to move the cursor (without deleting) to the area where
    > you need to insert characters, A to start inserting, insert your
    > two characfters, then E to get to end of line, and then retype the
    > complete remainder of the line which you had to erase.
    >
    > Old cisco switches have better command line editing than VMS.
    >

    > SET TERM/WIDTH=132 will allow you to recall the command on a longer line
    > (132 instead of 80) and this makes its editing easier. Once done, you
    > can set term/width=80 again.
    >
    > VMS 5.5 lacked certain recall buffer functionality which was added later
    > on. On recent versions of VMS, you could RECALL/output=myfile.txt then
    > edit myfile.txt and then RECALL/input=myfile.txt which would reload
    > the recall buffer with your corrected command.

    Another method, if you are on a terminal that supports cut&paste (VT420,
    VT520, DECterm, some VT emulators), is to recall and erase as per JF's
    instructions, and then cut & paste the remainder of the line (if it's
    still on the screen!) But be careful about pasting a carriage return
    if there is more than one remaining line! (and be sure to go to end
    of line before pasting, or it will try to insert the remainder in the
    middle.)

    If you have a wide enough screen (works with DECterms and Kermit-95,
    I don't know about other emulators), /width=132 isn't the upper limit.
    I think you can go as wide as 255 characters, but if you set the
    terminal width wider than the physical screen width, you'll need to
    deal with left-right scrolling as well.

    Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  9. Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article <5UeCk.1038$MN3.360@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, John Santos writes:

    > Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!

    I've filed multiple formal enhancement requests for this and other DCL
    deficiencies over the years.

    I've never even had any clarification back from anyone other than the
    support people who logged the requests.

    I personally put things like this into the "will never happen" category.

    I switch between Linux and VMS on a daily basis and DCL is really dated
    compared to the capabilities in bash. Yes, I know that there's an older
    version of bash available for VMS, but we are talking about the
    capabilities of the native CLI environment here, which for VMS is DCL.

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  10. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    "Simon Clubley" wrote in
    message news:92cjqbPYDj7K@eisner.encompasserve.org...
    > In article <5UeCk.1038$MN3.360@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, John Santos
    > writes:
    >>
    >> Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!
    >>

    > I've filed multiple formal enhancement requests for this and other DCL
    > deficiencies over the years.
    >
    > I've never even had any clarification back from anyone other than the
    > support people who logged the requests.
    >
    > I personally put things like this into the "will never happen" category.
    >
    > I switch between Linux and VMS on a daily basis and DCL is really dated
    > compared to the capabilities in bash. Yes, I know that there's an older
    > version of bash available for VMS, but we are talking about the
    > capabilities of the native CLI environment here, which for VMS is DCL.

    I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.

    It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    CLI (PowerShell).

  11. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    John Vottero wrote:

    > I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.
    >
    > It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    > CLI (PowerShell).

    As I recall, the problem with the line editing is with the terminal
    driver which would need a major update to handle command lines longer
    than the screen width.

    I am not sure that this requires a "replace DCL".

  12. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article <48da6b62$0$12361$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > John Vottero wrote:
    >
    >> I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.
    >>
    >> It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    >> CLI (PowerShell).

    > As I recall, the problem with the line editing is with the terminal
    > driver which would need a major update to handle command lines longer
    > than the screen width.

    Fine, so fix the problem within DCL if there's no-one left within VMS
    Engineering who can fix the driver.

    > I am not sure that this requires a "replace DCL".

    Other missing features not in DCL, but in bash:

    Automatic retention of command history, including the automatic merging of
    just the new commands from that session into the command history file.

    Tab based filename completion.

    Command history searching is much more elegant in bash. Hit Ctrl-R, type a
    few characters found anywhere in the command, which starts an immediate
    search through the command history, and just keep hitting Ctrl-R until the
    required command is found.

    No way to search the help library. (Yes, I know that's not really a bash
    function, but on VMS, HELP is considered to be part of DCL.)

    These don't require a "replace DCL" action, but they are the things that
    I find _extremely_ frustrating when switching from a bash shell to a DCL
    session.

    However, providing an additional CLI/scripting environment with VMS would
    allow the additional types of features seen in other environments, but for
    now I would be happy with just the above been added to DCL.

    Simon.

    PS: While I'm on my wishlist, a HP supported Python on VMS, that I can log
    support calls against, would be _very_ nice.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  13. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On 24 Sep 2008 08:36:01 -0500,
    clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) wrote:

    >In article <5UeCk.1038$MN3.360@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, John Santos writes:
    >>
    >> Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!
    >>

    >I've filed multiple formal enhancement requests for this and other DCL
    >deficiencies over the years.
    >
    >I've never even had any clarification back from anyone other than the
    >support people who logged the requests.
    >
    >I personally put things like this into the "will never happen" category.
    >
    >I switch between Linux and VMS on a daily basis and DCL is really dated
    >compared to the capabilities in bash. Yes, I know that there's an older
    >version of bash available for VMS, but we are talking about the
    >capabilities of the native CLI environment here, which for VMS is DCL.
    >
    >Simon.

    If you are on Windows, XLNT (http://www.advsyscon.com) is a decent DCL
    CLI for Windows. If the VMS folks would at least do that much for
    normal DCL on VMS, it would be a great step forward.

  14. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Sep 24, 12:28*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > John Vottero wrote:
    > > I agree. *HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.

    > > It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    > > CLI (PowerShell).

    > As I recall, the problem with the line editing is with the terminal
    > driver which would need a major update to handle command lines longer
    > than the screen width.
    >
    > I am not sure that this requires a "replace DCL".

    Search comp.os.vms on Google Groups for

    TERMINAL DRIVER LONG LINES

    and you'll set that it *is* the terminal driver.

    AEF

  15. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article , clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) writes:

    > Automatic retention of command history, including the automatic merging of
    > just the new commands from that session into the command history file.

    Command history retention in files has security implications.

    > Tab based filename completion.

    Yep.

    > No way to search the help library. (Yes, I know that's not really a bash
    > function, but on VMS, HELP is considered to be part of DCL.)

    With hierachical help, searching is not as often needed. I find
    VMS HELP much easier than man -k when I need to find something and
    don't know where it is. I keep trying to learn "info" for just
    that reason.

    > These don't require a "replace DCL" action, but they are the things that
    > I find _extremely_ frustrating when switching from a bash shell to a DCL
    > session.
    >
    > However, providing an additional CLI/scripting environment with VMS would
    > allow the additional types of features seen in other environments, but for
    > now I would be happy with just the above been added to DCL.

    DCL on VAXen was pretty well hacked up. Porting it to Alpha was a
    major piece of work. I think VMS Engineering should freeze DCL for
    upward compatability and create a new CLI.

    And please don't base it on cryptic languages like C.

  16. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article <5a1490b0-336e-4228-bae3-d003bd8d5de5@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:

    > and you'll set that it *is* the terminal driver.

    The terminal driver only provides single-line editting. Any
    program that doesn't take detailed control of the terminal can
    use it. DCL and SMG provide that plus multi-line recall. Any
    program using SMG can make use of that, but DCL doesn't use SMG.

    And DCL could provide it's own built in editor with much more
    power than the terminal driver. After all, EDT and TPU do.

    But I think DCL should be frozen and VMS should move on.

  17. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    Simon Clubley wrote:
    > In article <5UeCk.1038$MN3.360@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, John Santos writes:
    >> Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!
    >>

    > I've filed multiple formal enhancement requests for this and other DCL
    > deficiencies over the years.
    >
    > I've never even had any clarification back from anyone other than the
    > support people who logged the requests.
    >
    > I personally put things like this into the "will never happen" category.
    >
    > I switch between Linux and VMS on a daily basis and DCL is really dated
    > compared to the capabilities in bash. Yes, I know that there's an older
    > version of bash available for VMS, but we are talking about the
    > capabilities of the native CLI environment here, which for VMS is DCL.
    >
    > Simon.

    Please remember that DCL IS a Command Line Interpreter and NOT really a
    programming language! I know it has been used to write applications but
    it's certainly not the primary purpose. There are certainly better
    tools available for writing most applications.

    If you want to write applications in your CLI, try Solaris or Linux.

    I think you would probably be happier with COBOL!

  18. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    John Vottero wrote:
    > "Simon Clubley" wrote in
    > message news:92cjqbPYDj7K@eisner.encompasserve.org...
    >> In article <5UeCk.1038$MN3.360@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, John Santos
    >> writes:
    >>>
    >>> Sure wish they would fix this (editing wide lines)!
    >>>

    >> I've filed multiple formal enhancement requests for this and other DCL
    >> deficiencies over the years.
    >>
    >> I've never even had any clarification back from anyone other than the
    >> support people who logged the requests.
    >>
    >> I personally put things like this into the "will never happen" category.
    >>
    >> I switch between Linux and VMS on a daily basis and DCL is really dated
    >> compared to the capabilities in bash. Yes, I know that there's an older
    >> version of bash available for VMS, but we are talking about the
    >> capabilities of the native CLI environment here, which for VMS is DCL.
    >>

    > I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.

    Have you tried BASIC? Or COBOL?

  19. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > John Vottero wrote:
    >
    >> I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.
    >>
    >> It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    >> CLI (PowerShell).

    > As I recall, the problem with the line editing is with the terminal
    > driver which would need a major update to handle command lines longer
    > than the screen width.
    >
    > I am not sure that this requires a "replace DCL".

    I'm quite sure you are right! Any command that cannot be fully
    expressed in 132 characters should probably be placed in a .COM file and
    executed from the file.

  20. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    AEF wrote:
    > On Sep 24, 12:28 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> John Vottero wrote:
    >>> I agree. HP needs to replace DCL with a modern CLI/scripting environment.
    >>> It's another example of OpenVMS falling behind, even Windows has a better
    >>> CLI (PowerShell).

    >> As I recall, the problem with the line editing is with the terminal
    >> driver which would need a major update to handle command lines longer
    >> than the screen width.
    >>
    >> I am not sure that this requires a "replace DCL".

    > Search comp.os.vms on Google Groups for
    >
    > TERMINAL DRIVER LONG LINES
    >
    > and you'll set that it *is* the terminal driver.
    >
    > AEF

    Since the available terminals generally do not support more than 132
    characters per line, there is little point in supporting command line
    editing for longer lines!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast