How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt - VMS

This is a discussion on How do I add 2 letters to a long command at the prompt - VMS ; On Oct 22, 9:23*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote: > Alan, > > I copied a file to your EISNER account default. *It is called: > > GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM > > It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 69 of 69

  1. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Oct 22, 9:23*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > Alan,
    >
    > I copied a file to your EISNER account default. *It is called:
    >
    > GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM
    >
    > It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL
    > command line recall info similar to RECALL/ALL. *This procedure
    > shows how easy it is to get this using DCL. *You can modify the
    > procedure to do what you may want in addition to its accessing
    > the recall buffer.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    Thanks, VAXMAN. I tried it today and it works great!

    AEF

  2. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article , AEF writes:
    >On Oct 22, 9:23=A0pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> Alan,
    >>
    >> I copied a file to your EISNER account default. =A0It is called:
    >>
    >> GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM
    >>
    >> It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL
    >> command line recall info similar to RECALL/ALL. =A0This procedure
    >> shows how easy it is to get this using DCL. =A0You can modify the
    >> procedure to do what you may want in addition to its accessing
    >> the recall buffer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=

    >SIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=

    >ction
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=

    >NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =

    >outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=

    >right
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    >Thanks, VAXMAN. I tried it today and it works great!

    I put a slight modified version in your directory a little while ago.
    I didn't handle cases where a command string can get broken into two
    pieces in the recall buffer.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Oct 23, 4:20*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , AEF writes:
    >

    > >On Oct 22, 9:23=A0pm, VAXman- *@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > >> Alan,

    > >> I copied a file to your EISNER account default. =A0It is called:

    > >> GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM

    > >> It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL
    > >> command line recall info similar to RECALL/ALL. =A0This procedure
    > >> shows how easy it is to get this using DCL. =A0You can modify the
    > >> procedure to do what you may want in addition to its accessing
    > >> the recall buffer.

    > >> --
    > >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=

    > >SIS(dot)COM

    > >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=

    > >ction
    > >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.. (=

    > >NJSC)

    > >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =

    > >outside
    > >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=

    > >right
    > >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    > >Thanks, VAXMAN. I tried it today and it works great!

    > I put a slight modified version in your directory a little while ago.
    > I didn't handle cases where a command string can get broken into two
    > pieces in the recall buffer. *
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    Thanks again.

    AEF

  4. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 at 11:17 -0700, AEF wrote:

    > $ TYPE RECA.COM
    > $ pipe recall/out=x.lis ! ; search x.lis sea
    > $ @RECA
    > $ DIR/SIZE X.LIS
    > %DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
    > $

    I don't remember all that has gone on in the past on this thread, but
    as I recall RECALL/OUT in a command file does not create an output
    file. It does not on Eisner and it does not on my 7.1 system. Did
    anybody ever say that this had been made to work?

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  5. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article , Rob Brown writes:
    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 at 11:17 -0700, AEF wrote:
    >
    >> $ TYPE RECA.COM
    >> $ pipe recall/out=x.lis ! ; search x.lis sea
    >> $ @RECA
    >> $ DIR/SIZE X.LIS
    >> %DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
    >> $

    >I don't remember all that has gone on in the past on this thread, but
    >as I recall RECALL/OUT in a command file does not create an output
    >file. It does not on Eisner and it does not on my 7.1 system. Did
    >anybody ever say that this had been made to work?

    I wrote a DCL program to do it.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 at 19:13 -0000, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article , Rob Brown writes:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 at 11:17 -0700, AEF wrote:
    >>
    >>> $ TYPE RECA.COM
    >>> $ pipe recall/out=x.lis ! ; search x.lis sea
    >>> $ @RECA
    >>> $ DIR/SIZE X.LIS
    >>> %DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
    >>> $

    >> I don't remember all that has gone on in the past on this thread, but
    >> as I recall RECALL/OUT in a command file does not create an output
    >> file. It does not on Eisner and it does not on my 7.1 system. Did
    >> anybody ever say that this had been made to work?

    > I wrote a DCL program to do it.

    Yes, you said that on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 at 01:23 -0000,
    VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG:

    > I copied a file to your EISNER account default. It is called:
    >
    > GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM
    >
    > It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL
    > command line recall info similar to RECALL/ALL. This procedure
    > shows how easy it is to get this using DCL...

    It sounds to me like you are saying that you did not use the RECALL
    command, but did something else that provides the same information.
    Am I misunderstanding you?

    If not, then I stand by my previous statement: RECALL/OUT does not
    work inside a command file. In fact I will expand my previous
    statement and say that RECALL/ALL does not work either. It appears
    that there is no recall buffer when you are in a command file that is
    accessible by the RECALL command. Here is a demonstration on EISNER:

    $ show system/noproc
    OpenVMS V8.3 on node EISNER ...
    $ show time
    25-OCT-2008 23:39:15
    $ recall/all ! commands in recall buffer
    1 show time
    2 show system/noproc
    $ @tt: ! start a command file
    _$ recall/all ! recall buffer is empty!
    _$ show time ! do a command
    25-OCT-2008 23:39:32
    _$ recall/all ! recall buffer is still empty!
    _$ Exit
    $ show time
    25-OCT-2008 23:40:00
    $ recall/all ! outside of command file there are
    1 show time ! commands in the recall buffer
    2 @tt: ! but not what I did inside the command
    3 show time ! file
    4 show system/noproc

    So if you used the DCL RECALL command in GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM,
    I would sure like to know what the difference is between what you are
    doing and what I am doing.

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
    Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

  7. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article , Rob Brown writes:
    >On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 at 19:13 -0000, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> I don't remember all that has gone on in the past on this thread, but
    >>> as I recall RECALL/OUT in a command file does not create an output
    >>> file. It does not on Eisner and it does not on my 7.1 system. Did
    >>> anybody ever say that this had been made to work?

    >> I wrote a DCL program to do it.

    >Yes, you said that on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 at 01:23 -0000,
    >VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG:

    >> I copied a file to your EISNER account default. It is called:
    >>
    >> GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM
    >>
    >> It uses SYMBOL (which is installed on EISNER) and gets the DCL
    >> command line recall info similar to RECALL/ALL. This procedure
    >> shows how easy it is to get this using DCL...

    >It sounds to me like you are saying that you did not use the RECALL
    >command, but did something else that provides the same information.
    >Am I misunderstanding you?

    Correct! No RECALL/ALL but DCL code which walks through the DCL recall
    buffer to effect the same.

    >If not, then I stand by my previous statement: RECALL/OUT does not
    >work inside a command file. In fact I will expand my previous
    >statement and say that RECALL/ALL does not work either. It appears
    >that there is no recall buffer when you are in a command file that is
    >accessible by the RECALL command. Here is a demonstration on EISNER:
    >
    > $ show system/noproc
    > OpenVMS V8.3 on node EISNER ...
    > $ show time
    > 25-OCT-2008 23:39:15
    > $ recall/all ! commands in recall buffer
    > 1 show time
    > 2 show system/noproc
    > $ @tt: ! start a command file
    > _$ recall/all ! recall buffer is empty!
    > _$ show time ! do a command
    > 25-OCT-2008 23:39:32
    > _$ recall/all ! recall buffer is still empty!
    > _$ Exit
    > $ show time
    > 25-OCT-2008 23:40:00
    > $ recall/all ! outside of command file there are
    > 1 show time ! commands in the recall buffer
    > 2 @tt: ! but not what I did inside the command
    > 3 show time ! file
    > 4 show system/noproc
    >
    >So if you used the DCL RECALL command in GET_COMMAND_LINE_RECALL.COM,
    >I would sure like to know what the difference is between what you are
    >doing and what I am doing.

    I've copied the command procedure to your default directory on EISNER.
    The procedure uses my SYMBOL program to obtain some values for several
    system constants but you could look them up and hard-code them. Using
    SYMBOL only eliminates having to do the lookup for each release of VMS.

    I'd love to post the procedure here but I won't; I will explain why not
    on EISNER.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  8. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 at 07:33 -0000, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article
    > , Rob Brown
    > writes:

    >> It sounds to me like you are saying that you did not use the RECALL
    >> command, but did something else that provides the same information.
    >> Am I misunderstanding you?

    > Correct! No RECALL/ALL but DCL code which walks through the DCL
    > recall buffer to effect the same.

    Neat!

    > I've copied the command procedure to your default directory on
    > EISNER.

    Got it, thanks.

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
    Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

  9. Re: Enhancing DCL, was: Re: How do I add 2 letters to a long

    In article , Rob Brown writes:

    >On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 at 07:33 -0000, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> In article
    >> , Rob Brown
    >> writes:

    >>> It sounds to me like you are saying that you did not use the RECALL
    >>> command, but did something else that provides the same information.
    >>> Am I misunderstanding you?

    >> Correct! No RECALL/ALL but DCL code which walks through the DCL
    >> recall buffer to effect the same.

    >Neat!
    >
    >> I've copied the command procedure to your default directory on
    >> EISNER.

    >Got it, thanks.

    Excellent. Have fun with it.