How can I tell a file marked nobackup was backed up without ignore=nobackup ? - VMS

This is a discussion on How can I tell a file marked nobackup was backed up without ignore=nobackup ? - VMS ; In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes: > Here it is. Put this in your EDTINI.EDT: > > ! kill quoted-printable > DEFINE MACRO KQP > FIND BUFFER KQP > INSERT;s|=FC||w > INSERT;s|=DF||w I'm sure real EDT ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: getting rid of quoted printable

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de
    (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    > Here it is. Put this in your EDTINI.EDT:
    >
    > ! kill quoted-printable
    > DEFINE MACRO KQP
    > FIND BUFFER KQP
    > INSERT;s|=FC||w
    > INSERT;s|=DF||w

    I'm sure real EDT wizards could do this more elegantly.

    With EDT, you can easily input any character via its code, so it's easy
    to extend the table:

    PF1 PF1 KP3

    To see a table of codes, type (at the DCL command line)

    HELP FORTRAN CHAR

    This gives you two charts, 0--127 and 128--255, but in hex. (That
    shouldn't be a problem for real programmers, though.) Note that the DEC
    multinational character set (which is the second table above) is ALMOST
    the same as ISO-Latin-8859-15.

  2. RE: How can I tell a file marked nobackup was backed up without ignore=nobackup ? ignore=nobackup ?ignore=nobackup ?

    > Well yes, in the backup container.
    > Do you still have the container?
    > Backup / list [/full] does not show it, but it knows it.
    >
    > I just hacked up a quick tool to display that flag.
    > I don't pretend to understand a backup container (like do I worry
    > about blocksize?), but this first part seemed easy.
    > Code appended below.

    I have not studied the backup saveset format either, but I did notice that
    if you do a BACKUP/LIST/ANALYZE/FULL then search the listing file for the
    text "FLAGS = %X'00000020'" you will find files that are marked
    NOBACKUP. I never looked to see what the flag shows if you do the backup
    with /IGNORE=NOBACKUP.

    Peter Weaver
    www.weaverconsulting.ca www.openvmsvirtualization.com
    www.vaxvirtualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com
    Winner of the 2007 OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Award for System
    Management/Performance

  3. Re: How can I tell a file marked nobackup was backed up withoutignore=nobackup ? ignore=nobackup ?ignore=nobackup ?

    On Sep 24, 10:10 pm, "Peter Weaver"
    wrote:
    > > Well yes, in the backup container.
    > > Do you still have the container?
    > > Backup / list [/full] does not show it, but it knows it.

    > > I just hacked up a quick tool to display that flag.
    > > I don't pretend to understand a backup container (like do I worry
    > > about blocksize?), but this first part seemed easy.
    > > Code appended below.

    > I have not studied the backup saveset format either, but I did notice that
    > if you do a BACKUP/LIST/ANALYZE/FULL then search the listing file for the
    > text "FLAGS = %X'00000020'" you will find files that are marked
    > NOBACKUP. I never looked to see what the flag shows if you do the backup
    > with /IGNORE=NOBACKUP.
    >
    > Peter Weaverwww.weaverconsulting.ca http://www.openvmsvirtualization.com...ualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com
    > Winner of the 2007 OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Award for System
    > Management/Performance

    I know that the listings produced by BACKUP journal files will say
    "data not copied" for the .SYS files in the MFD, but I never checked
    what it does for files marked "no backup". Of course, this doesn't
    help the OP.

    AEF

  4. RE: How can I tell a file marked nobackup was backed up without ignore=nobackup ? ignore=nobackup ?ignore=nobackup ?

    In article <2244F1A54F4A4B10B33DC9A790175382@CHARONLAP>, "Peter Weaver" writes:

    > I have not studied the backup saveset format either, but I did notice that
    > if you do a BACKUP/LIST/ANALYZE/FULL then search the listing file for the
    > text "FLAGS = %X'00000020'" you will find files that are marked
    > NOBACKUP. I never looked to see what the flag shows if you do the backup
    > with /IGNORE=NOBACKUP.

    The header in the listing shows exactly the backup command you used.