DS10L running hot - VMS

This is a discussion on DS10L running hot - VMS ; I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions what else to ...

  1. DS10L running hot

    I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to
    overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around
    55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does
    anyone have any suggestions what else to look for?

  2. Re: DS10L running hot

    Michael Moroney wrote:
    > I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to
    > overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around
    > 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions what else to look for?

    You can look back at my posts on how I modified my DS10Ls to reduce
    their temperature.

    In particular, look at the ar path from the blower, through the CPU and
    more importantly, beyond the CPU. On the front side, there is a flexible
    plastic tab that is meant to curve towards the back to direct the hot
    exhaust towards the back.

    There is hot air that leaks back into the main area even when the tab is
    properly set. adding a second tab that is a little higher will block the
    gap between the original tab and the top "ceiling", reducing the leakage
    of hot air back into the main area. The same applies to the raised board
    that separates the hot air exgaust from the PCI card area. So air leaks
    through the top portion because of a gap with the ceiling of the CPU
    exhaust section.

    Also, make sure that the CPU blower draws air only from the front
    portion and not the back. Right behing the blower is the hot air
    excausted by the CPU which loops back because it is being sucked by that
    tiny fan.

    You can also increase airflow in and out of the unit by cutting off the
    metal "grills" that reduce airflow through the tiny fans.

  3. Re: DS10L running hot

    Michael Moroney wrote:
    > I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to
    > overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around
    > 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions what else to look for?

    What's the room temperature?? Blowing hot air through a hot machine is
    not as helpful as cold air would be! Where is the machine installed?
    If it's in a rack with other machines, perhaps the air inside the rack
    is a little too warm!

  4. Re: DS10L running hot

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Michael Moroney wrote:
    >> I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to
    >> overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around
    >> 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does
    >> anyone have any suggestions what else to look for?

    > You can look back at my posts on how I modified my DS10Ls to reduce
    > their temperature.
    >
    > In particular, look at the ar path from the blower, through the CPU and
    > more importantly, beyond the CPU. On the front side, there is a flexible
    > plastic tab that is meant to curve towards the back to direct the hot
    > exhaust towards the back.
    >
    > There is hot air that leaks back into the main area even when the tab is
    > properly set. adding a second tab that is a little higher will block the
    > gap between the original tab and the top "ceiling", reducing the leakage
    > of hot air back into the main area. The same applies to the raised board
    > that separates the hot air exgaust from the PCI card area. So air leaks
    > through the top portion because of a gap with the ceiling of the CPU
    > exhaust section.
    >
    > Also, make sure that the CPU blower draws air only from the front
    > portion and not the back. Right behing the blower is the hot air
    > excausted by the CPU which loops back because it is being sucked by that
    > tiny fan.
    >
    > You can also increase airflow in and out of the unit by cutting off the
    > metal "grills" that reduce airflow through the tiny fans.

    Altering the machine will void any warranty that might be in effect.

  5. Re: DS10L running hot

    re: warrantee: I doubt any DS10Ls are still on warrantee.

    Another thing to check is that the air inlets in the front are not full
    of lint and dust bunnies. There are 2 layers that hinder air-flow in the
    front, the plastic grill and then the metal grill.

    Another thing to check is that on the power supply side, the grill on
    the side is clean. Air is drawn there by the power supply.

  6. Re: DS10L running hot

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > re: warrantee: I doubt any DS10Ls are still on warrantee.

    Not under warranty as new but used machines are sometimes sold with a
    warranty! The term is generally short, say 90 days, but it may still
    be of value to the new owner.

    It is possible that the engineers who designed the cooling system were
    incompetent! It's easier, however, to believe that YOU are out of YOUR
    mind if, indeed, you were ever IN it!

  7. Re: DS10L running hot

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > It is possible that the engineers who designed the cooling system were
    > incompetent!

    They had restrictions imposed on them such as needing to use a standard
    DS10 motherboard, limited budget (none) and probably a lot of
    constraints due to laws etc. If there had been updates to the product,
    perhaps you would have seen some changes to the cooling design inside.

    Also, remember that this was pitched at some large customers (such as
    the sanger institude for genome project) and these machines ran in
    climate controlled rooms with cold air being sucked from the front.

    > It's easier, however, to believe that YOU are out of YOUR
    > mind if, indeed, you were ever IN it!

    Do you have any technical suggestions specific to the DS10L ?

    I took mine apart and checked out how air flowed inside. And my fixes
    reduced temperature by 3C right away (however, had I not fixed a flap
    that was wrongly oriented in the CPU hot air exhaust, the original
    temperature may have risen far more than what I saw.

  8. Re: DS10L running hot

    "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    >JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Michael Moroney wrote:
    >>> I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to
    >>> overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around
    >>> 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does
    >>> anyone have any suggestions what else to look for?

    >> You can look back at my posts on how I modified my DS10Ls to reduce
    >> their temperature.

    This isn't a matter of trying to reduce the temp. by a degree because I
    can. The thing is running excessively hot. Something's wrong.

    It's in an non-airconditioned room, under a desk, with enough airflow space
    around it on all sides. It'll power off on a hot day, yet even today it's
    still running hot (we almost had a frost last night and I don't have the
    heat on yet)

    >Altering the machine will void any warranty that might be in effect.

    This is a freebie Islandco "prize" from almost two years ago (thanks Dave).
    No warranty.

  9. Re: DS10L running hot

    Michael Moroney wrote:

    > This isn't a matter of trying to reduce the temp. by a degree because I
    > can. The thing is running excessively hot. Something's wrong.

    My machines run at between 40 and 44. They used to go to 46-47 before
    my modifications. And this is in a normal non-airconditioned room. The
    temperature varies by about 1 between summer and winter.

    If the platic strips that "guide" the airflow are not set up properly,
    then you will have very hot CPU air circulating back into the main airea
    and being sucked by the CPU blower again. Remember that that blower has
    more CFM than the tiny fans combined.

  10. Re: DS10L running hot

    On Sep 19, 1:40*pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    wrote:
    > It's in an non-airconditioned room, under a desk, with enough airflow space
    > around it on all sides. *It'll power off on a hot day, yet even today it's
    > still running hot (we almost had a frost last night and I don't have the
    > heat on yet)

    Open it up (very easy to do) and clean it out. It may have sucked in
    a bunch of dust bunnies being close to the floor.

    Not that I'm saying you keep a dusty house ...

    :-)

  11. Re: DS10L running hot

    FrankS wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 1:40 pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    > wrote:
    >> It's in an non-airconditioned room, under a desk, with enough airflow space
    >> around it on all sides. It'll power off on a hot day, yet even today it's
    >> still running hot (we almost had a frost last night and I don't have the
    >> heat on yet)

    > Open it up (very easy to do) and clean it out. It may have sucked in
    > a bunch of dust bunnies being close to the floor.
    >
    > Not that I'm saying you keep a dusty house ...
    >
    > :-)

    Even in a clean computer room, a computer tends to act like a vacuum
    cleaner bag. Dust gets in and doesn't come out again. Vacuuming out
    the case or blowing it out with canned air is part of the annual
    maintenance!

  12. Re: DS10L running hot

    FrankS writes:

    >On Sep 19, 1:40=A0pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    >wrote:
    >> It's in an non-airconditioned room, under a desk, with enough airflow spa=

    >ce
    >> around it on all sides. =A0It'll power off on a hot day, yet even today i=

    >t's
    >> still running hot (we almost had a frost last night and I don't have the
    >> heat on yet)

    >Open it up (very easy to do) and clean it out. It may have sucked in
    >a bunch of dust bunnies being close to the floor.

    >Not that I'm saying you keep a dusty house ...

    It's actually 2' off the floor.

    Since I had a spare blower assembly/heatsink I decided to remove the
    blower/heatsink. There was dust in there. Also a plastic tab at the air
    input was in the wrong position. After putting it back together (with the
    old heatsink/blower) it's running about 10 C cooler. Not as cool as it
    should be but much better.

  13. Re: DS10L running hot

    Michael Moroney wrote:

    > input was in the wrong position. After putting it back together (with the
    > old heatsink/blower) it's running about 10 C cooler. Not as cool as it
    > should be but much better.

    If you were at 55 and it is now 45, then it is a normal temperature.

+ Reply to Thread