EFI Console - VMS

This is a discussion on EFI Console - VMS ; I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console connected from an Alpha using SET HOST/DTE TTA0 it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with garbage. What should be the terminal settings ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. EFI Console

    I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    connected from an Alpha using
    SET HOST/DTE TTA0

    it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    garbage. What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?

    Tom

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: EFI Console

    On Sep 18, 4:22*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    > connected from an Alpha using
    > SET HOST/DTE TTA0
    >
    > it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    > garbage. *What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?

    Which port are you connected to, the CONSOLE port on the rx itself or
    the management processor?

    This anyway, I've got a null modem cable hooked up to the CONSOLE port
    (not the MP) and this is the terminal settings shown by VMS once
    logged in (the other end is an OS X box running ckermit):

    $ show term
    Terminal: _OPA0: Device_Type: VT100 Owner: SYSTEM

    Input: 9600 LFfill: 0 Width: 80 Parity: None
    Output: 9600 CRfill: 0 Page: 24

    Terminal Characteristics:
    Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
    No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase Tab
    Wrap Scope No Remote No
    Eightbit
    Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    No Modem No Local_echo No Autobaud No Hangup
    No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
    No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No
    Fallback
    No Dialup No Secure server No Disconnect No Pasthru
    No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer
    Port
    Numeric Keypad ANSI_CRT No Regis No
    Block_mode
    Advanced_video No Edit_mode DEC_CRT No
    DEC_CRT2
    No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No
    Ansi_Color
    VMS Style Input Backspace

    On a related note, does anyone know how I get the MP to act as the
    OPA0: VMS console?

    Sampsa

  3. Re: EFI Console

    wrote in message

    On a related note, does anyone know how I get the MP to act as the
    OPA0: VMS console?

    At the EFI menu, select the boot options and change the default
    input/output/error devices from the UART on the BMC console to the other
    UART which is part of the MP. VMS will then use that device. Personally, I
    connect to all my MP's via IP using PuTTY and only use the serial line the
    first time to config the MP lan device.

    John

  4. Re: EFI Console

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:31:10 -0700, John Reagan
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >
    > On a related note, does anyone know how I get the MP to act as the
    > OPA0: VMS console?
    >

    > At the EFI menu, select the boot options and change the default
    > input/output/error devices from the UART on the BMC console to the other
    > UART which is part of the MP. VMS will then use that device.
    > Personally, I
    > connect to all my MP's via IP using PuTTY and only use the serial line
    > the
    > first time to config the MP lan device.

    John, maybe you know, when in the efi shell, the prompt always appears in
    the
    same location in the window (connected from TTA0 on an alpha to the 232
    console
    port of the 2600) and overwrites what was there. How do you get it to
    properly
    scroll, and turn off the annoying reverse video.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  5. Re: EFI Console

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.uhr7ajy0hv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    > John, maybe you know, when in the efi shell, the prompt always appears in
    > the
    > same location in the window (connected from TTA0 on an alpha to the 232
    > console
    > port of the 2600) and overwrites what was there. How do you get it to
    > properly
    > scroll, and turn off the annoying reverse video.

    No, I just swear under my breath and use 'cls' to clear the screen.

    John

  6. Re: EFI Console

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:15:46 -0700, John Reagan
    wrote:

    > "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    > newsp.uhr7ajy0hv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    >> John, maybe you know, when in the efi shell, the prompt always appears
    >> in
    >> the
    >> same location in the window (connected from TTA0 on an alpha to the 232
    >> console
    >> port of the 2600) and overwrites what was there. How do you get it to
    >> properly
    >> scroll, and turn off the annoying reverse video.

    > No, I just swear under my breath and use 'cls' to clear the screen.
    >
    > John

    Sure miss SRM.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. Re: EFI Console

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:15:46 -0700, John Reagan
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    >> newsp.uhr7ajy0hv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    >>> John, maybe you know, when in the efi shell, the prompt always appears
    >>> in
    >>> the
    >>> same location in the window (connected from TTA0 on an alpha to the 232
    >>> console
    >>> port of the 2600) and overwrites what was there. How do you get it to
    >>> properly
    >>> scroll, and turn off the annoying reverse video.

    >> No, I just swear under my breath and use 'cls' to clear the screen.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >Sure miss SRM.

    I've patched the HP in the initial:

    HP OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Operating System, Version Vmaj.min

    to output c.

    As soon as VMS boots, the screen is back to normal.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  8. Re: EFI Console

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:22:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    > connected from an Alpha using
    > SET HOST/DTE TTA0
    >
    > it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    > garbage. What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?
    >
    > Tom

    I connected a pigtail to to the MP port and to that a cable
    from TTA0 on an Alpha, nothing.

    I have the terminal at 9600-N-8-1, should it be something else?
    Same cable works on the console port (not on the MP)

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  9. Re: EFI Console

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:17:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:22:57 -0700, Tom Linden
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    >> connected from an Alpha using
    >> SET HOST/DTE TTA0
    >>
    >> it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    >> garbage. What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > I connected a pigtail to to the MP port and to that a cable
    > from TTA0 on an Alpha, nothing.
    >
    > I have the terminal at 9600-N-8-1, should it be something else?
    > Same cable works on the console port (not on the MP)

    I also note that whereas the light comes on the NIC on the system, the
    one on the MP remains black. I wonder if I have a bad MP?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  10. Re: EFI Console

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:22:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >> I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    >> connected from an Alpha using
    >> SET HOST/DTE TTA0
    >>
    >> it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    >> garbage. What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > I connected a pigtail to to the MP port and to that a cable
    > from TTA0 on an Alpha, nothing.
    >
    > I have the terminal at 9600-N-8-1, should it be something else?
    > Same cable works on the console port (not on the MP)

    Nothing generally means that nothing is being written to the port!
    9600/8/N/1 is the default but someone could have set the port to
    something else.

  11. Re: EFI Console

    Try this.

    1) Make sure you have a serial cable hooked to the console port on the 3
    connector pig tail

    2) From Alpha set host/dte to TTA0

    3) Press the reset button for the MP console it is next to the connector for
    the 3 port cable

    4) If the MP is working that should output a prompt on the console port I
    forget the
    exact syntax something about complete reset. That wipes every setting
    in the MP
    out and takes them back to the factory default.

    Forrest

  12. Re: EFI Console

    On Sep 24, 11:17*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:22:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    > > I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    > > connected from an Alpha using
    > > SET HOST/DTE TTA0

    > > it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    > > garbage. *What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?

    > > Tom

    > I connected a pigtail to to the MP port and to that a cable
    > *from TTA0 on an Alpha, *nothing.
    >
    > I have the terminal at 9600-N-8-1, should it be something else?
    > Same cable works on the console port (not on the MP)
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    Try resetting the MP; there is a little button on the back to do that.
    Also, you might need to put a null modem cable between the two
    systems, both are DCE I think. I definately had to using a PC serial
    port. Once you reset the MP, you can assign it an IP address and do
    away with the serial cable, except in emergencies.

    Also, once you get into the machine, go into the EFI Boot Option
    Maintenance Menu and select your terminal to be VT100. It is probably
    set to either ANSI or VT100+. Be sure to set standard in, stadout and
    error to all be the same. The MP consoles are
    the ones that have both "PCI" and "UART" in them; the console serial
    port just says UART. The VGA port just says PCI. You will probably
    need to be sure you do not have a keyboard and mouse plugged in to IPL
    andload VMS.

    Lastly, if you have not upgraded the firmware, it is (at least to me)
    a bit of a nerve wracking task, but doing it is well worth the time
    and effort. The machines I received here had very old firmware in
    them. You have to upgrade it in stages, four separate stages I think,
    and at least the first one will probably have to be via FTP. Do not
    trust a USB DVD drive until you have the firmware updated!
    You can wind up with a dead machine if something goes wrong on the
    firmware upgrade. There isn't any failsafe, as in SRM.

    Note that once you have it all running, the firmware, EFI and MP, is
    really nice and a pleasure to use.

    -Paul

    The MP ports are the ones that say

  13. Re: EFI Console

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:16:57 -0700, forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam
    wrote:

    > Try this.
    >
    > 1) Make sure you have a serial cable hooked to the console port on the 3
    > connector pig tail
    >
    > 2) From Alpha set host/dte to TTA0
    >
    > 3) Press the reset button for the MP console it is next to the connector
    > for
    > the 3 port cable
    >
    > 4) If the MP is working that should output a prompt on the console port
    > forget the
    > exact syntax something about complete reset. That wipes every
    > setting
    > in the MP
    > out and takes them back to the factory default.

    I had already tried all that. Also the LED on the MP ethernet port is not
    lit. Should it be? The circuits get warm.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  14. Re: EFI Console

    If there is power to the system you should get at least on LED on
    the LAB connector for the MP. If there is no LED looks like you
    may have a non-functional Management Processor module.

    Forrest

  15. Re: EFI Console

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:32:06 -0700, PR wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 11:17*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:22:57 -0700, Tom Linden
    >> wrote:
    >> > I got one of those RX2600 and in trying to talk to the console
    >> > connected from an Alpha using
    >> > SET HOST/DTE TTA0

    >> > it keeps trying to refresh the screen and eventually ends with
    >> > garbage. *What should be the terminal settings on the Alpha?

    >> > Tom

    >> I connected a pigtail to to the MP port and to that a cable
    >> *from TTA0 on an Alpha, *nothing.
    >>
    >> I have the terminal at 9600-N-8-1, should it be something else?
    >> Same cable works on the console port (not on the MP)
    >>
    >> --
    >> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    > Try resetting the MP; there is a little button on the back to do that.
    > Also, you might need to put a null modem cable between the two
    > systems, both are DCE I think. I definately had to using a PC serial
    > port. Once you reset the MP, you can assign it an IP address and do
    > away with the serial cable, except in emergencies.
    >
    > Also, once you get into the machine, go into the EFI Boot Option
    > Maintenance Menu and select your terminal to be VT100. It is probably
    > set to either ANSI or VT100+. Be sure to set standard in, stadout and
    > error to all be the same. The MP consoles are
    > the ones that have both "PCI" and "UART" in them; the console serial
    > port just says UART. The VGA port just says PCI. You will probably
    > need to be sure you do not have a keyboard and mouse plugged in to IPL
    > andload VMS.

    Couldn't find that, I was in the shell> prompt so did an exit and now it is
    outputting continuosly

    System Configuration Menu. Select an Option

    EFI System Configuration Menu

    System Configuration Menu. Select an Option

    and is unresponsive

    Got out an back in (this from set host/dte on an alpha)

    %REM-E-PORTRXERR, port receive error
    -SYSTEM-W-DATAOVERUN, data overrun

    > Lastly, if you have not upgraded the firmware, it is (at least to me)
    > a bit of a nerve wracking task, but doing it is well worth the time
    > and effort. The machines I received here had very old firmware in
    > them. You have to upgrade it in stages, four separate stages I think,
    > and at least the first one will probably have to be via FTP. Do not
    > trust a USB DVD drive until you have the firmware updated!
    > You can wind up with a dead machine if something goes wrong on the
    > firmware upgrade. There isn't any failsafe, as in SRM.
    >
    > Note that once you have it all running, the firmware, EFI and MP, is
    > really nice and a pleasure to use.
    >
    > -Paul
    >

    > The MP ports are the ones that say

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  16. Re: EFI Console

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:42:20 -0700, forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam
    wrote:

    > If there is power to the system you should get at least on LED on
    > the LAB connector for the MP. If there is no LED looks like you
    > may have a non-functional Management Processor module.

    I will check that when I get to the office. I was referring to the MP
    ethernet
    port.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  17. MP Solved WAS EFI Console

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:58:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:42:20 -0700, forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If there is power to the system you should get at least on LED on
    >> the LAB connector for the MP. If there is no LED looks like you
    >> may have a non-functional Management Processor module.
    >>

    > I will check that when I get to the office. I was referring to the MP
    > ethernet
    > port.
    >

    >> Forrest

    Turns out that the printed ribbon cable with the small connect
    to the monitor board was loose. Now I can see the MP.

    However, coming from the alpha over tta0 with set host/dte
    the screen continually refreshes and the up down arrows down do
    anything.

    Here are the TTA0 settings

    Terminal: _TTA0: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: No Owner

    Input: 9600 LFfill: 0 Width: 80 Parity: None
    Output: 9600 CRfill: 0 Page: 24

    Terminal Characteristics:
    Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
    No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase No Tab
    Wrap Scope No Remote Eightbit
    Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    No Modem No Local_echo Autobaud No Hangup
    No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
    No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
    No Dialup No Secure server Disconnect No Pasthru
    No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer Port
    Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No Block_mode
    No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
    No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No Ansi_Color
    VMS Style Input Backspace

    I also tried from a W2K box using hypeterm and similar crap.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  18. Re: MP Solved WAS EFI Console

    At 09:35 AM 9/25/2008, Tom Linden wrote:
    >On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:58:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:42:20 -0700, forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If there is power to the system you should get at least on LED on
    >>>the LAB connector for the MP. If there is no LED looks like you
    >>>may have a non-functional Management Processor module.

    >>I will check that when I get to the office. I was referring to the MP
    >>ethernet
    >>port.
    >>

    >>>Forrest

    >Turns out that the printed ribbon cable with the small connect
    >to the monitor board was loose. Now I can see the MP.
    >
    >However, coming from the alpha over tta0 with set host/dte
    >the screen continually refreshes and the up down arrows down do
    >anything.
    >
    >Here are the TTA0 settings
    >
    >Terminal: _TTA0: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: No Owner
    >
    > Input: 9600 LFfill: 0 Width: 80 Parity: None
    > Output: 9600 CRfill: 0 Page: 24
    >
    >Terminal Characteristics:
    > Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
    > No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase No Tab
    > Wrap Scope No Remote Eightbit
    > Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    > No Modem No Local_echo Autobaud No Hangup
    > No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
    > No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
    > No Dialup No Secure server Disconnect No Pasthru
    > No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer Port
    > Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No Block_mode
    > No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
    > No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No Ansi_Color
    > VMS Style Input Backspace
    >
    >I also tried from a W2K box using hypeterm and similar crap.

    Is your firmware at the latest rev? I found the EFI terminal emulation
    increased markedly in quality once I upgraded mine.

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  19. Re: MP Solved WAS EFI Console

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:52:01 -0700, Dan O'Reilly wrote:

    > At 09:35 AM 9/25/2008, Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:58:57 -0700, Tom Linden
    >> wrote:

    >>> I will check that when I get to the office. I was referring to the MP
    >>> ethernet
    >>> port.

    >> Turns out that the printed ribbon cable with the small connect
    >> to the monitor board was loose. Now I can see the MP.
    >>
    >> However, coming from the alpha over tta0 with set host/dte
    >> the screen continually refreshes and the up down arrows down do
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> Here are the TTA0 settings
    >>
    >> Terminal: _TTA0: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: No Owner
    >>
    >> Input: 9600 LFfill: 0 Width: 80 Parity: None
    >> Output: 9600 CRfill: 0 Page: 24
    >>
    >> Terminal Characteristics:
    >> Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
    >> No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase No Tab
    >> Wrap Scope No Remote Eightbit
    >> Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    >> No Modem No Local_echo Autobaud No Hangup
    >> No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
    >> No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
    >> No Dialup No Secure server Disconnect No Pasthru
    >> No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer
    >> Port
    >> Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No
    >> Block_mode
    >> No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
    >> No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No
    >> Ansi_Color
    >> VMS Style Input Backspace
    >>
    >> I also tried from a W2K box using hypeterm and similar crap.

    > Is your firmware at the latest rev? I found the EFI terminal emulation
    > increased markedly in quality once I upgraded mine.

    I was having trouble talking to it, but following Pauls formulae I reset
    to VT100

    > ------
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this
    > |
    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary
    > |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't."
    > |
    > | http://www.process.com |
    > |
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

  20. Re: MP Solved WAS EFI Console

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:58:57 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:42:20 -0700, forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If there is power to the system you should get at least on LED on
    >>> the LAB connector for the MP. If there is no LED looks like you
    >>> may have a non-functional Management Processor module.
    >>>

    >> I will check that when I get to the office. I was referring to the MP
    >> ethernet
    >> port.
    >>

    >>> Forrest
    >>>

    >Turns out that the printed ribbon cable with the small connect
    >to the monitor board was loose. Now I can see the MP.
    >
    >However, coming from the alpha over tta0 with set host/dte
    >the screen continually refreshes and the up down arrows down do
    >anything.
    >
    >Here are the TTA0 settings
    >
    >Terminal: _TTA0: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: No Owner
    >
    > Input: 9600 LFfill: 0 Width: 80 Parity: None
    > Output: 9600 CRfill: 0 Page: 24
    >
    >Terminal Characteristics:
    > Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
    > No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase No Tab
    > Wrap Scope No Remote Eightbit
    > Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    > No Modem No Local_echo Autobaud No Hangup
    > No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
    > No Commsync Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
    > No Dialup No Secure server Disconnect No Pasthru
    > No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer Port
    > Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No Block_mode
    > No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
    > No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No Ansi_Color
    > VMS Style Input Backspace
    >
    >I also tried from a W2K box using hypeterm and similar crap.

    Tom,

    Where are you trying to use the arrow-keys? The menus at the MP are entered
    with, usually, two letter commands. For example: CM, CO, CL, SL, etc. The
    only place I recall the arrows working is in the COnsole menu.