Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY?? - VMS

This is a discussion on Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY?? - VMS ; Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software "executables" to run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re- compiled. I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for ...

  1. Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    "executables" to
    run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    compiled.

    I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    PDP11's to VAX back
    in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  2. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS applications to INETGRITY??

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:18:41 -0700, Len Whitwer wrote:

    > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > "executables" to
    > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > compiled.
    >
    > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > PDP11's to VAX back
    > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    What is the source language of the executable?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    On Sep 18, 4:18*pm, Len Whitwer wrote:
    > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > "executables" to
    > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > compiled.
    >
    > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > PDP11's to VAX back
    > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Len Whitwer
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > Woodinville, WA *98072
    > e-mail * *mailto:l...@psds.com
    > Internet:http://www.psds.com
    > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > Fax: (425) 488-6414

    OpenVMS Migration Software for VAX to Alpha (previously known as
    DECmigrate aka VEST)
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...sva/omsva.html

    Then
    HP OpenVMS migration software for HP AlphaServer systems to HP
    Integrity Servers (OMSAIS)
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

  4. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    On Sep 18, 10:18 am, Len Whitwer wrote:
    > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > "executables" to
    > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > compiled.
    >
    > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > PDP11's to VAX back
    > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Len Whitwer
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > Woodinville, WA 98072
    > e-mail mailto:l...@psds.com
    > Internet:http://www.psds.com
    > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > Fax: (425) 488-6414

    Len,

    Ian has already posted the link. The PDP-11 conversion was part of
    OpenVMS itself. Hardware compatibility was part of every processor
    till the MicroVAX I, and thereafter the Applications Migration
    Executive (AME) was a separate licensed component. There is a good
    Digital Technical Journal article, but I am not near my bookshelf at
    this instant so I cannot provide the citation.

    The VEST and AEST packages are quite useful, particularly if there are
    missing sources. They are also useful as management tools to doing an
    actual migration. My OpenVMS Technical Journal article "Strategies for
    Migrating from Alpha and VAX systems to HP Integrity Servers on
    OpenVMS" (available via http://www.rlgsc.com/publications/vm...trategies.html
    ), as well as my presentation of the same title from the 2008 HP
    Enterprise Technology Forum (slides at
    http://www.rlgsc.com/hptechnologyfor...trategies.html )
    covered how the binary translators can be used as a strategic tool.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  5. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    On Sep 18, 8:25*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:18:41 -0700, Len Whitwer wrote:
    > > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > > "executables" to
    > > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > > compiled.

    > > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > > PDP11's to VAX back
    > > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > What is the source language of the executable?
    >

    > > Len Whitwer

    > > -Len Whitwer
    > > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > > Woodinville, WA *98072
    > > e-mail * *mailto:l...@psds.com
    > > Internet:http://www.psds.com
    > > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > > Fax: (425) 488-6414

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    The some of the source code is BASIC however not all. (This is an old
    school application product that has many modules of which not all are
    BASIC)
    Thus the emulation product is best in the short run until complete re-
    compliling of
    software is can be completed.

  6. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    Len Whitwer wrote:
    > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > "executables" to
    > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > compiled.
    >
    > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > PDP11's to VAX back
    > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ISTR that DEC did it. If you purchased the RSX11 software for VAX, you
    could run your PDP-11 stuff on a VAX 11/780 or 11/750 and maybe on the
    730 and 725. I never actually ran any PDP-11 software on a VAX.

    I have NOT heard of such a tool for Integrity. What happened to your
    source code? If it's commercial software you want to run, does your
    license allow you to run it on Integrity?

  7. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    On Sep 18, 9:58*am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Len Whitwer wrote:
    > > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > > "executables" to
    > > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > > compiled.

    > > I know there was a company by the name of RAXCO that did it for
    > > PDP11's to VAX back
    > > in the old days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > ISTR that DEC did it. *If you purchased the RSX11 software for VAX, you
    > could run your PDP-11 stuff on a VAX 11/780 or 11/750 and maybe on the
    > 730 and 725. *I never actually ran any PDP-11 software on a VAX.
    >
    > I have NOT heard of such a tool for Integrity. *What happened to your
    > source code? *If it's commercial software you want to run, does your
    > license allow you to run it on Integrity?

    Hi Richard:

    Source code is in many modules of which are not all BASIC. It is
    comercial
    software running on ALPHA and I'm not sure at this point anout
    licensing as
    I don't have a solution "product" yet.

    Thanks for you help.

    Len Whitwer

  8. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMSapplications to INETGRITY??

    On Sep 18, 1:34*pm, Len Whitwer wrote:
    > Source code is in many modules of which are not all BASIC. It is
    > comercial software running on ALPHA and I'm not sure at this point anout
    > licensing as I don't have a solution "product" yet.

    If source code is available then I wouldn't even bother taking the
    time to translate the images. Whether or not they are all BASIC or a
    mix of languages shouldn't be a factor.

    For a commercial product in particular, where the HP/DSPP program can
    provide free Integrity licenses for migration, then it's almost a no-
    brainer.

  9. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    In article , Len Whitwer writes:
    > Looking for a tool that allows ALPHA or even VAX application software
    > "executables" to
    > run on OpenVMS INTEGRITY systems without being modified and re-
    > compiled.

    VEST goes from VAX to Alpha and AEST goes from Alpha to Itanium.
    AEST can handle the output of VEST. Both are available from HP.

    You can also get simulators that simulate VAX hardware or Alpha
    hardware on other platforms. That way you're running on a new
    platform but the software thinks you're running on the old.

  10. RE: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    Reference:

    OMSAIS tool (Alpha to Integrity translator)
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

    OMSVA (formerly DECmigrate) VAX to Alpha translator:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...sva/omsva.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  11. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    > > OMSAIS tool (Alpha to Integrity translator)
    > >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

    FYI, HP-published version of V/A OMSAIS V2 as of Sep/2008 doesn't
    support translating binaries generated from the OpenVMS/Alpha BASIC
    compiler.

    $ aest hworld.exe /aud
    %AEST-W-RTLNOTSUPP, programming language BASIC is not currently
    supported AEST (V2.0, Bld DEV_0.8/Aug 30 2006) %AEST-W-TRANSWARN,
    Translation completed with warnings -- review them before usi ng the
    output image

    hworld.bas:
    1010 print "hello world"
    1020 end

  12. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:44:37 -0700, Rod wrote:

    >> > OMSAIS tool (Alpha to Integrity translator)
    >> >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

    > FYI, HP-published version of V/A OMSAIS V2 as of Sep/2008 doesn't
    > support translating binaries generated from the OpenVMS/Alpha BASIC
    > compiler.
    >
    > $ aest hworld.exe /aud
    > %AEST-W-RTLNOTSUPP, programming language BASIC is not currently
    > supported AEST (V2.0, Bld DEV_0.8/Aug 30 2006) %AEST-W-TRANSWARN,
    > Translation completed with warnings -- review them before usi ng the
    > output image
    >
    > hworld.bas:
    > 1010 print "hello world"
    > 1020 end

    Rod, is that our version of AEST you are using?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  13. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    Rod wrote:

    > > > OMSAIS tool (Alpha to Integrity translator)
    > > >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

    > FYI, HP-published version of V/A OMSAIS V2 as of Sep/2008 doesn't
    > support translating binaries generated from the OpenVMS/Alpha BASIC
    > compiler.
    >
    > $ aest hworld.exe /aud
    > %AEST-W-RTLNOTSUPP, programming language BASIC is not currently
    > supported AEST (V2.0, Bld DEV_0.8/Aug 30 2006) %AEST-W-TRANSWARN,
    > Translation completed with warnings -- review them before usi ng the
    > output image
    >
    > hworld.bas:
    > 1010 print "hello world"
    > 1020 end

    Note that the constraint is not the language itself, rather its the RTL
    and the use of VAX floating point. When it originally came out, the
    authors of AEST said they could not make any brash assumptions about
    what any specific user program would use, and there were no work-arounds
    for the performance issues surrounding the conversion of x-FLOAT
    datatypes to IEEE and back to allow manipulation of the data by the I64
    CPU.

    D.J.D.

  14. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    >> FYI, HP-published version of V/A OMSAIS V2 as of Sep/2008 doesn't
    >> support translating binaries generated from the OpenVMS/Alpha BASIC
    >> compiler.
    >>
    >> $ aest hworld.exe /aud
    >> %AEST-W-RTLNOTSUPP, programming language BASIC is not currently
    >> supported AEST (V2.0, Bld DEV_0.8/Aug 30 2006) %AEST-W-TRANSWARN,
    >> Translation completed with warnings -- review them before usi ng the
    >> output image
    >>
    >> hworld.bas:
    >> 1010 print "hello world"
    >> 1020 end

    > Note that the constraint is not the language itself, rather its the RTL
    > and the use of VAX floating point. When it originally came out, the
    > authors of AEST said they could not make any brash assumptions about
    > what any specific user program would use, and there were no work-arounds
    > for the performance issues surrounding the conversion of x-FLOAT
    > datatypes to IEEE and back to allow manipulation of the data by the I64
    > CPU.

    That's sort of true. There is a bit more to it.

    The biggest problem with BASIC is that on the Alpha it doesn't use the
    LIB$ routines for traversing the call stack. It uses some hand-crafted
    code that is designed to work faster than the LIB$ interface. Every time
    a BASIC routine is entered it looks around for a context block that
    contains details about floating point rounding and other important stuff.

    The problem here is that because the Alpha and I64 stacks are intertwined
    this hand crafted code can get lost. It also provides some entertainment
    when it trys to do exception handling.

    Floating point performance is poor. This is because, at the moment, it's
    all done by hand. There is no conversion between VAX and IEEE and back
    again. The instruction eumulator does all the math itself.

    Tim.

  15. Re: Does anyone know of a "VESTING TOOL" for emulating/porting VMS

    Rod wrote:
    >>> OMSAIS tool (Alpha to Integrity translator)
    >>> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...va/omsais.html

    > FYI, HP-published version of V/A OMSAIS V2 as of Sep/2008 doesn't
    > support translating binaries generated from the OpenVMS/Alpha BASIC
    > compiler.
    >
    > $ aest hworld.exe /aud
    > %AEST-W-RTLNOTSUPP, programming language BASIC is not currently
    > supported AEST (V2.0, Bld DEV_0.8/Aug 30 2006) %AEST-W-TRANSWARN,
    > Translation completed with warnings -- review them before usi ng the
    > output image
    >
    > hworld.bas:
    > 1010 print "hello world"
    > 1020 end

    We built the OMSAIS tool on contract for HP, and budget constraints
    limited support for the number of languages we could add support for.

    But we can (and have) added functionality for specific problems.

    You find contact information on our website: www.stromasys.com
    We opened regional sales and support offices for North America (Raleigh,
    NC) and the Far East (HongKong).

    Regards,

    Robert Boers
    CEO
    Stromasys SA, Geneva, Switzerland
    (Formerly known as Software Resources International SA)
    We produce cross-platform virtualization products under the brand name
    CHARON.

+ Reply to Thread