Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium? - VMS

This is a discussion on Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium? - VMS ; Is this possible? http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-5801ENW.pdf seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available: "OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on IntelŪMontecito prototype systems as of December 2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007" Sampsa...

  1. Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    Is this possible? http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-5801ENW.pdf
    seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available:

    "OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on IntelŪMontecito
    prototype systems as of December
    2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007"

    Sampsa

  2. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    In article , sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    >Is this possible? http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-5801ENW.pdf
    >seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available:
    >
    >"OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on Intel=AEMontecito
    >prototype systems as of December
    >2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007"

    Yes, it's possible. VMS has to run under the virtual machine supervisor that
    runs on HP/UX, so your actual hardware is running HP/UX.

    -- Alan

  3. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 18, 1:19*am, wins...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston -
    SSRL Central Computing) wrote:
    > Yes, it's possible. *VMS has to run under the virtual machine

    supervisor that
    > runs on HP/UX, so your actual hardware is running HP/UX. *
    >
    > -- Alan

    Thanks Alan,

    Is there hobbyist licensing available for HP/UX? Or other affordable
    options for acquiring it? What versions etc will I need?

    Sampsa

  4. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    In article , sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    >On Sep 18, 1:19=A0am, wins...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston -
    >SSRL Central Computing) wrote:
    > > Yes, it's possible. =A0VMS has to run under the virtual machine

    >supervisor that
    >> runs on HP/UX, so your actual hardware is running HP/UX. =A0
    >>
    >> -- Alan

    >Thanks Alan,
    >
    >Is there hobbyist licensing available for HP/UX? Or other affordable
    >options for acquiring it? What versions etc will I need?

    I am altogether clueless on this, sorry.

    -- Alan

  5. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    In article , sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    > Is this possible? http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-5801ENW.pdf
    > seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available:
    >
    > "OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on Intel=AEMontecito
    > prototype systems as of December
    > 2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007"

    This is not exactly news.

  6. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    wrote in message

    >Is there hobbyist licensing available for HP/UX? Or other affordable
    >options for acquiring it? What versions etc will I need?

    OpenVMS 8.4, don't know about the supervisor.

  7. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 18, 1:39*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , samp...@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > Is this possible?http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-5801ENW.pdf
    > > seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available:

    > > "OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on Intel=AEMontecito
    > > prototype systems as of December
    > > 2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007"

    > * *This is not exactly news.

    No I realise that but was unable to find anything more recent about
    this, hence the question to comp.os.vms.

    Sampsa

  8. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 18, 3:44*pm, samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 1:39*pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    >
    > Koehler) wrote:
    > > In article , samp...@gmail.com writes:

    > > > Is this possible?http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...0-5801ENW..pdf
    > > > seems to indicate that they're planning on this being available:

    > > > "OpenVMS Virtual Machines is running in the lab on Intel=AEMontecito
    > > > prototype systems as of December
    > > > 2005, with first production shipments planned for 2007"

    > > * *This is not exactly news.

    > No I realise that but was unable to find anything more recent about
    > this, hence the question to comp.os.vms.
    >
    > Sampsa

    The public information is in the VMS roadmap slide 8 & 9.

    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/roadmap

    HPVM – Integrity Virtual Machine V4 and OpenVMS V8.4 is mentioned

  9. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 17, 7:19*pm, wins...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston -
    SSRL Central Computing) wrote:

    > Yes, it's possible. *VMS has to run under the virtual machine supervisor that
    > runs on HP/UX, so your actual hardware is running HP/UX. *

    So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    industry wide joke.

  10. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    "yyyc186" wrote in message

    So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    industry wide joke.

    My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. It isn't a full multi-user
    environment that you can log into. If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.

    John

  11. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 19, 9:33*am, "John Reagan" wrote:
    > "yyyc186" wrote in message

    > So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    > industry wide joke.
    >
    > My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    > down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. *It isn't a full multi-user
    > environment that you can log into. *If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    > virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.
    >
    > John

    John,

    This has not been my experience with HP IVM, thus far - though I do
    wish I could agree. Unless, I haven't seen the documentation on how to
    "strip down" HP-UX, the instances I am running include a FULL INSTALL
    of the OS and the HP IVM layered-products on top.

    Joe

  12. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:24:17 -0700, jferraro wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 9:33*am, "John Reagan" wrote:
    >> "yyyc186" wrote in message

    >> So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    >> industry wide joke.
    >>
    >> My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    >> down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. *It isn't a full multi-user
    >> environment that you can log into. *If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    >> virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.
    >>
    >> John

    > John,
    >
    > This has not been my experience with HP IVM, thus far - though I do
    > wish I could agree. Unless, I haven't seen the documentation on how to
    > "strip down" HP-UX, the instances I am running include a FULL INSTALL
    > of the OS and the HP IVM layered-products on top.
    >
    > Joe

    What launches the Virtual Machine? Unix typically boots to single user and
    then multi-user, although the boot scripts often automate (^D) to
    multi-user.
    So the question is if is possible to launch the VM from single user?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  13. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 19, 11:31*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:24:17 -0700, jferraro wrote:
    > > On Sep 19, 9:33*am, "John Reagan" wrote:
    > >> "yyyc186" wrote in message

    > >> So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    > >> industry wide joke.

    > >> My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    > >> down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. *It isn't a full multi-user
    > >> environment that you can log into. *If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    > >> virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.

    > >> John

    > > John,

    > > This has not been my experience with HP IVM, thus far - though I do
    > > wish I could agree. Unless, I haven't seen the documentation on how to
    > > "strip down" HP-UX, the instances I am running include a FULL INSTALL
    > > of the OS and the HP IVM layered-products on top.

    > > Joe

    > What launches the Virtual Machine? *Unix typically boots to single userand
    > then multi-user, although the boot scripts often automate (^D) to *
    > multi-user.
    > So the question is if is possible to launch the VM from single user?
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    Once the underlying HP-UX [hypervisor] is booted, one can launch one's
    VMs by using `hpvmconsole` or with an appropriate script. While I've
    not attempted to bring up IVM from single user, my guess is that you'd
    need at least [default] run-level 2 since, I believe, the guests rely
    on the underlying hosts TCP-IP stack and network devices, for example.
    By default, hpvm is started at run-level 2 on the underlying host:

    # model
    ia64 hp server rx7640
    # ls -l /sbin/rc2.d/|grep hpvm
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 17 Sep 12 13:55 S529hpvm -> /
    sbin/init.d/hpvm
    # ls -l /sbin/rc3.d/|grep hpvm
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 25 Sep 12 13:55
    S829hpvmguestlib -> /sbin/init.d/hpvmguestlib

  14. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    "jferraro" wrote in message

    >This has not been my experience with HP IVM, thus far - though I do
    >wish I could agree. Unless, I haven't seen the documentation on how to
    >"strip down" HP-UX, the instances I am running include a FULL INSTALL
    >of the OS and the HP IVM layered-products on top.

    Then I stand corrected. I was only partially paying attention at the
    meeting when all
    of this was explained to members of my team. Perhaps that was the original
    intention
    but later things changed? Who knows.

    John

  15. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 19, 8:33*am, "John Reagan" wrote:
    > "yyyc186" wrote in message

    > So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    > industry wide joke.
    >
    > My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    > down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. *It isn't a full multi-user
    > environment that you can log into. *If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    > virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.
    >
    > John

    It's really a full version of HP-UX, at least in V.23 adn V.31 that
    runs Integrity Virtual Machines. I'm waiting on OpenVMS 8.4 to test
    it, but at the moment, I don't think you can run OpenVMS under IVM.
    At least OpenVMS 8.3-1H1 wont recognize the serial port on any machine
    I have access too (RX2600 and RX2660), which seems to be the
    problem.

    HP-UX (all 11i versions at least), Linux (SuSE 10 SP2), and Windows
    seem to run very well under it though.

    -Paul

  16. Re: Running OpenVMS in a virtual machine on Itanium?

    On Sep 19, 10:31*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:24:17 -0700, jferraro wrote:
    > > On Sep 19, 9:33*am, "John Reagan" wrote:
    > >> "yyyc186" wrote in message

    > >> So you have to run a rock solid OS underneath and OS which is an
    > >> industry wide joke.

    > >> My (albeit limited) understanding is that the VM runs on some cut
    > >> down/streamlined/whatever version of HP-UX. *It isn't a full multi-user
    > >> environment that you can log into. *If you want to run HP-UX, you run it
    > >> virtual along side of your virtual OpenVMS.

    > >> John

    > > John,

    > > This has not been my experience with HP IVM, thus far - though I do
    > > wish I could agree. Unless, I haven't seen the documentation on how to
    > > "strip down" HP-UX, the instances I am running include a FULL INSTALL
    > > of the OS and the HP IVM layered-products on top.

    > > Joe

    > What launches the Virtual Machine? *Unix typically boots to single userand
    > then multi-user, although the boot scripts often automate (^D) to *
    > multi-user.
    > So the question is if is possible to launch the VM from single user?
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com- Hide quoted text -

    The Host HPUX node has to be up and fully running.

    You launch the VMs as separate processes under HP-UX. I setup "guest"
    access to the VM consoles myself.

    In other words, if I have a VM named ilin040 (which would be a IA64
    Linux instance with an IP host address of 40 on my internal class C
    network) I made a user with that name and point their shell to be
    hpvmconsole. When I telnet or ssh to the host HP-UX machine, I
    effectively get an MP menu. It isn't the real MP of course, and there
    are some extra commands - for instance to eject and load removable
    media - but same process. Power on the instance, go through the EFI
    boot manger, and get a console.

    It is actually very slick and easy to manage once setup.

    -Paul

+ Reply to Thread