Building Apache Portable Runtime - VMS

This is a discussion on Building Apache Portable Runtime - VMS ; I'm getting the APR built (from the HP sources for SWS) and want to run the provided tests. There is a regular shareable library (builds fine) and a protected shareable library. I'm using a system on which I have only ...

  1. Building Apache Portable Runtime

    I'm getting the APR built (from the HP sources for SWS) and want to
    run the provided tests. There is a regular shareable library (builds
    fine) and a protected shareable library. I'm using a system on which
    I have only base privileges so I can't install the protected
    shareable.

    Can I just relink the protected shareable without the /protect
    qualifier and then at least be able to run images that are linked with
    it? With the understanding that I will probably run into privilege
    issues depending on what functions get called?

    I'm doing this on one of the IA64 testdrive systems. Maybe someone
    can suggest another place? I want to build the APR so I can possibly
    build a (non Java) subversion client.

    Any ideas appreciated, Jim

  2. Re: Building Apache Portable Runtime

    blowhard27 wrote:
    > I'm getting the APR built (from the HP sources for SWS) and want to
    > run the provided tests. There is a regular shareable library (builds
    > fine) and a protected shareable library. I'm using a system on which
    > I have only base privileges so I can't install the protected
    > shareable.
    >
    > Can I just relink the protected shareable without the /protect
    > qualifier and then at least be able to run images that are linked with
    > it? With the understanding that I will probably run into privilege
    > issues depending on what functions get called?

    Might as well try it and see. ISTR the main thing it quarantines off in
    the privileged image is adjusting the buffer size of sockets that are
    used as pipes, and if it fails gracefully enough, you'll just end up
    muddling on with your puny 256-byte default buffer. Kind of a shame this
    buffer size isn't counted against quota rather than requiring privilege
    to change.

    > I'm doing this on one of the IA64 testdrive systems. Maybe someone
    > can suggest another place? I want to build the APR so I can possibly
    > build a (non Java) subversion client.

    That would be cool. One option here might be to not build the APR at all
    but just require SWS and link against the APR images installed with it.
    You'd probably still need to use the headers from the source kit and of
    course this approach would fall down flat if you encountered bugs or
    missing features in whatever version of the APR SWS provides.

  3. Re: Building Apache Portable Runtime

    > Might as well try it and see. ISTR the main thing it quarantines off in
    > the privileged image is adjusting the buffer size of sockets that are
    > used as pipes, and if it fails gracefully enough, you'll just end up
    > muddling on with your puny 256-byte default buffer. Kind of a shame this
    > buffer size isn't counted against quota rather than requiring privilege
    > to change.

    Yes, I will definitely try it. In fact I posted this knowing I would
    need to do that but was tired and figured maybe an answer is out
    there.

    > That would be cool. (editor: building svn client) One option here might be to not build the APR at all
    > but just require SWS and link against the APR images installed with it.
    > You'd probably still need to use the headers from the source kit and of
    > course this approach would fall down flat if you encountered bugs or
    > missing features in whatever version of the APR SWS provides.

    If I could find such a system... Anyone got one? I'm also trying the
    other way round, that is taking the subversion client and seeing what
    it really needs. Which leads me to wonder about a problem that we've
    never really solved, dependencies. Just occurred to me that if I knew
    the format of DSF files maybe a clever script could parse them and
    tell me what to do.

    Thanks for the ideas.

+ Reply to Thread