What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ? - VMS

This is a discussion on What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ? - VMS ; Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW PROCESS ? SHOW PROC/CONT will show its current use for the working set, but not its ...

  1. What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no
    way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW
    PROCESS ?

    SHOW PROC/CONT will show its current use for the working set, but not
    its quota.

    SHOW PROC/QUOTA doesn't show the WSxxxx values at all.

    I have a BACKUP/IMAGE that appears to work, but only uses up 1330 pages
    (alpha) of workint set. (disk to disk backup).

    I would like to know what the authorized WSEXTENT is for that job.

    Also, if there is only a very tiny page file, does that limit the
    WSEXTENT that is given to a job ? (even if there is plenty (relatively)
    of free memory ?

    I have the WSEXTENT set to 90000 pages for that account. And I seem to
    recall BACKUP liking to use about 30k pages (on vax), so I am surprise
    it is using so few pages to do a disk-to-disk/image backup.

  2. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    How about SHOW WORKING_SET?

    Dave

  3. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no
    > way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW
    > PROCESS ?
    >
    > SHOW PROC/CONT will show its current use for the working set, but not
    > its quota.
    >
    > SHOW PROC/QUOTA doesn't show the WSxxxx values at all.
    >
    > I have a BACKUP/IMAGE that appears to work, but only uses up 1330 pages
    > (alpha) of workint set. (disk to disk backup).
    >
    > I would like to know what the authorized WSEXTENT is for that job.

    The "authorized WSEXTENT" is governed by the quotas and limits set in
    the UAF. Run AUTHORIZE and then SHOW to see the applicable
    quotas and limits.

    > Also, if there is only a very tiny page file, does that limit the
    > WSEXTENT that is given to a job ? (even if there is plenty (relatively)
    > of free memory ?

    Virtual memory is the sum of the available RAM and the available page
    file quota. WSEXTENT is the amount of RAM you can "borrow" if the O/S
    happens to find it convenient to lend it to you. If the system then
    finds that it needs that RAM for something else, your pages will be
    written out to the page file and the RAM will be allocated to other
    processes.

    > I have the WSEXTENT set to 90000 pages for that account. And I seem to
    > recall BACKUP liking to use about 30k pages (on vax), so I am surprise
    > it is using so few pages to do a disk-to-disk/image backup.

  4. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no
    > way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW
    > PROCESS ?

    No! MCR AUTHORIZE and SHOW the account being used to run the process.

    > SHOW PROC/CONT will show its current use for the working set, but not
    > its quota.dragon

    > SHOW PROC/QUOTA doesn't show the WSxxxx values at all.
    >
    > I have a BACKUP/IMAGE that appears to work, but only uses up 1330 pages
    > (alpha) of workint set. (disk to disk backup).
    >
    > I would like to know what the authorized WSEXTENT is for that job.
    >
    > Also, if there is only a very tiny page file, does that limit the
    > WSEXTENT that is given to a job ? (even if there is plenty (relatively)
    > of free memory ?
    >
    > I have the WSEXTENT set to 90000 pages for that account. And I seem to
    > recall BACKUP liking to use about 30k pages (on vax), so I am surprise
    > it is using so few pages to do a disk-to-disk/image backup.

    Virtual memory is not terribly helpful to the BACKUP utility. RAM is!

  5. RE: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    On VMS V8.3+ Alpha/Integrity -

    $ Show Proc x/cont
    Hit W (from memory, or Q? to flip back and forth)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  6. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no
    > way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW
    > PROCESS ?
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > I would like to know what the authorized WSEXTENT is for that job.

    From DCL, no - nothing "easy".

    Try SDA (ANALYZE/SYSTEM) and SHOW PROCESS within SDA to view the current
    quotas and usage information.

    D.J.D.

  7. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    In article <48d09a6c$0$12392$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >Is it just me in my ever-so-slightly-different universe, or is there no
    >way to obtain a process' current WSquota, WSextent etc values with SHOW
    >PROCESS ?

    How about SHOW_QUOTA.COM at dcl.openvms.org?

    [...]

  8. RE: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    As mentioned in my earlier reply:

    On VMS V8.3+ Alpha/Integrity -

    $ Show Proc x/cont
    Hit W (from memory, or Q? to flip back and forth)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  9. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    "Main, Kerry" wrote:

> [...]

    Didn't want to make any brash assumptions about his VMS version...

    D.J.D.

  10. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    >> On VMS V8.3+ Alpha/Integrity -
    >>
    >> $ Show Proc x/cont
    >> Hit W (from memory, or Q? to flip back and forth)

    > Didn't want to make any brash assumptions about his VMS version...

    Well, i run 8.3 on an alpha.

    And "Q" does provide quotas, but not the working set one. Looks a lot
    like show proc/quota in fact.

  11. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    > >> On VMS V8.3+ Alpha/Integrity -
    > >>
    > >> $ Show Proc x/cont
    > >> Hit W (from memory, or Q? to flip back and forth)

    > > Didn't want to make any brash assumptions about his VMS version...

    > Well, i run 8.3 on an alpha.
    >
    > And "Q" does provide quotas, but not the working set one. Looks a lot
    > like show proc/quota in fact.

    Use SDA (ANALYZE/SYSTEM) then. SHOW PROCESS should give you what you
    want.

    D.J.D.

  12. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    On Sep 17, 2:16*am, David B Sneddon wrote:
    > How about SHOW WORKING_SET?
    >
    > Dave

    Try WORKING_SET.COM or WORKSET.COM, or something like that). This is
    an example in the Performance manual. Try it and let us know if this
    does what you want.

    AEF

  13. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    Here are the items that you want from the F$GETJPI lexical

    WSEXTENT - The largest that the Working Set List can become
    WSQUOTA - The WSL quota
    DFWSCNT - The default WSL size
    WSSIZE - The current size of the WSL

    PPGCNT - The number of pages of physical memory in the WSL that are private
    to this process
    GPGCNT - The number of pages of physical memory in the WSL that may be
    shared with other processes on the system.

    WSSIZE will begin at DFWSCNT and can grow up to WSEXTENT
    PPGCNT + GPGCNT will alwyas be equal or less than WSSIZE

    Remember that VMS is a demand paging system, processes are NEVER given
    memory to use, processes must request memory.

  14. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    On Oct 2, 12:59 pm, "Jilly" wrote:
    > Here are the items that you want from the F$GETJPI lexical
    >
    > WSEXTENT - The largest that the Working Set List can become
    > WSQUOTA - The WSL quota
    > DFWSCNT - The default WSL size
    > WSSIZE - The current size of the WSL
    >
    > PPGCNT - The number of pages of physical memory in the WSL that are private
    > to this process
    > GPGCNT - The number of pages of physical memory in the WSL that may be
    > shared with other processes on the system.
    >
    > WSSIZE will begin at DFWSCNT and can grow up to WSEXTENT
    > PPGCNT + GPGCNT will alwyas be equal or less than WSSIZE
    >
    > Remember that VMS is a demand paging system, processes are NEVER given
    > memory to use, processes must request memory.

    This is exactly what WORKSET.COM uses.

    JF, is this what you want or what?!

    AEF

  15. Re: What is a process' current WSxxxxx quotas ?

    AEF wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 12:59 pm, "Jilly" wrote:
    >> Here are the items that you want from the F$GETJPI lexical
    >>
    >> WSEXTENT - The largest that the Working Set List can become

    > JF, is this what you want or what?!

    Yep, thanks. Allows me to see the wsextent of another process. With SDA,
    I didn't quite see the actual WSEXTENT value of the process.

    This is useful to know if some detached process inherited the UAF quotas
    of what UIC, or whether it got the PQL quotas.

+ Reply to Thread