TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems - VMS

This is a discussion on TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems - VMS ; File this under "Life's Little Annoyances" I am running DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.1-1H2 with several print queues configured and working without trouble. On the rare occasions when ...

  1. TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems

    File this under "Life's Little Annoyances"

    I am running DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a
    AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.1-1H2 with several print
    queues configured and working without trouble.

    On the rare occasions when I need to add a print server queue I almost
    invaribly run into one odd problem or another. At the moment, I would like
    to configure a print server queue to enable printing to a Brother Intellifax
    4750e
    (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...C8100HUK_A.pdf)
    which is already on the network and accessible to Windows PCs using LPR
    Protocol and "BINARY_P1" as the queue name.

    I have added an entry to the UCX Hosts database as follows:

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ACCT$FAX, acct$fax

    SYS$STARTUP:UCX$LPD_STARTUP.COM contains the following:

    $ init/queue/start-
    /owner=[1,4]-
    /retain=error-
    /device=server-
    /process=ucx$lpd_smb-
    /protection=(s:e,g:r,w:w,o:d) ACCT$FAX -
    /library=emsdevctl_hplj -
    /form=normal/schedule=nosize -
    /default=(nofeed,form=normal)

    and UCX$PRINTCAP.DAT contains:

    ACCT$FAX|acct$fax:\
    :lf=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX.LOG:\
    :lp=ACCT$FAX:\
    :rm=acct$fax:\
    :rp=TEXT_P1:\
    :sd=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX:\
    :cr:

    The queue initializes and starts without problem and sending a print command
    to the queue gives every indication that it is working normally:

    $ pri/que=acct$fax login.com
    Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) started on ACCT$FAX
    $

    Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) completed
    $

    But, the printer shows no signs of life and nothing prints.

    The IP address in the Host entry is correct, UCX$LPD_SPOOL:ACCT$FAX.DIR
    exists and has the same Protection as similar folders for working queues
    (System:RWE, Owner:RWE, Group:RE, World:RWED).

    What am I missing here??

  2. Re: TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems

    On Sep 16, 8:56 am, "Carmine Castiglia" wrote:
    > File this under "Life's Little Annoyances"
    >
    > I am running DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a
    > AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.1-1H2 with several print
    > queues configured and working without trouble.
    >
    > On the rare occasions when I need to add a print server queue I almost
    > invaribly run into one odd problem or another. At the moment, I would like
    > to configure a print server queue to enable printing to a Brother Intellifax
    > 4750e
    > (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...lf/doc002093/N...)
    > which is already on the network and accessible to Windows PCs using LPR
    > Protocol and "BINARY_P1" as the queue name.
    >
    > I have added an entry to the UCX Hosts database as follows:
    >
    > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ACCT$FAX, acct$fax
    >
    > SYS$STARTUP:UCX$LPD_STARTUP.COM contains the following:
    >
    > $ init/queue/start-
    > /owner=[1,4]-
    > /retain=error-
    > /device=server-
    > /process=ucx$lpd_smb-
    > /protection=(s:e,g:r,w:w,o:d) ACCT$FAX -
    > /library=emsdevctl_hplj -
    > /form=normal/schedule=nosize -
    > /default=(nofeed,form=normal)
    >
    > and UCX$PRINTCAP.DAT contains:
    >
    > ACCT$FAX|acct$fax:\
    > :lf=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX.LOG:\
    > :lp=ACCT$FAX:\
    > :rm=acct$fax:\
    > :rp=TEXT_P1:\
    > :sd=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX:\
    > :cr:
    >
    > The queue initializes and starts without problem and sending a print command
    > to the queue gives every indication that it is working normally:
    >
    > $ pri/que=acct$fax login.com
    > Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) started on ACCT$FAX
    > $
    >
    > Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) completed
    > $
    >
    > But, the printer shows no signs of life and nothing prints.
    >
    > The IP address in the Host entry is correct, UCX$LPD_SPOOL:ACCT$FAX.DIR
    > exists and has the same Protection as similar folders for working queues
    > (System:RWE, Owner:RWE, Group:RE, World:RWED).
    >
    > What am I missing here??

    Carmine,

    Bob Koehler's comment is well taken. Precisely what type of data are
    the other systems sending to this printer?

    When troubleshooting these problems, I have always found a LAN
    analyzer (e.g. WireShark, http://www.wireshark.org ) to be invaluable.
    Much of the uncertainty can be resolved by looking at what is actually
    going bnack and forth on the LAN. For a problem such as this, all one
    needs is Windows/Linux box (boneyard refugees acceptable), and a LAN
    hub. Everything will then be visible.

    One can also use TCPDUMP from the host side to identify what is going
    back and forth.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems

    >> I have added an entry to the UCX Hosts database as follows:
    >>
    >> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ACCT$FAX, acct$fax
    >>
    >> SYS$STARTUP:UCX$LPD_STARTUP.COM contains the following:
    >>
    >> $ init/queue/start-
    >> /owner=[1,4]-
    >> /retain=error-
    >> /device=server-
    >> /process=ucx$lpd_smb-
    >> /protection=(s:e,g:r,w:w,o:d) ACCT$FAX -
    >> /library=emsdevctl_hplj -
    >> /form=normal/schedule=nosize -
    >> /default=(nofeed,form=normal)
    >>
    >> and UCX$PRINTCAP.DAT contains:
    >>
    >> ACCT$FAX|acct$fax:\
    >> :lf=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX.LOG:\
    >> :lp=ACCT$FAX:\
    >> :rm=acct$fax:\
    >> :rp=TEXT_P1:\
    >> :sd=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX:\
    >> :cr:

    I am not sure what works and what doesn't work in this old version of
    UCX (before 5.0, it was a fairly different and less functional product).

    If you are totally out of ideas, try to see if having a queue name equal
    to a host name (or vice versa) might be an issue. DO a SHOW LOGICAL
    *ACCT$FAX* to see if there might be some conflicts.

    In the TCPIP> utility (oops, that would be UCX because you are on an old
    version), does "SHOW HOST" work ? Does it show your ACCT$FAX entry with
    its correct IP address ?

    Does "ping ACCT$FAX" work from VMS ? (aka: is there a route setup to
    reach that host or is that host in the same subnet ?)

    In TCPIP Sercvices (5.0 and above), the doc says that :cr: is not
    supported. Not sure if it means that it is ignored, or whether it causes
    problems.

    Where did the TEXT_P1 come from ? The doc mentions "TEXT" or "RAW".

    Do you have the documentation for the UCX circa 4.whatever ?

+ Reply to Thread