TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems - VMS

This is a discussion on TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems - VMS ; File this under "Life's Little Annoyances" I am running DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.1-1H2 with several print queues configured and working without trouble. On the rare occasions when ...

  1. TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems

    File this under "Life's Little Annoyances"

    I am running DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a
    AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.1-1H2 with several print
    queues configured and working without trouble.

    On the rare occasions when I need to add a print server queue I almost
    invaribly run into one odd problem or another. At the moment, I would like
    to configure a print server queue to enable printing to a Brother Intellifax
    4750e
    (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...C8100HUK_A.pdf)
    which is already on the network and accessible to Windows PCs using LPR
    Protocol and "BINARY_P1" as the queue name.

    I have added an entry to the UCX Hosts database as follows:

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ACCT$FAX, acct$fax

    SYS$STARTUP:UCX$LPD_STARTUP.COM contains the following:

    $ init/queue/start-
    /owner=[1,4]-
    /retain=error-
    /device=server-
    /process=ucx$lpd_smb-
    /protection=(s:e,g:r,w:w,o:d) ACCT$FAX -
    /library=emsdevctl_hplj -
    /form=normal/schedule=nosize -
    /default=(nofeed,form=normal)

    and UCX$PRINTCAP.DAT contains:

    ACCT$FAX|acct$fax:\
    :lf=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX.LOG:\
    :lp=ACCT$FAX:\
    :rm=acct$fax:\
    :rp=TEXT_P1:\
    :sd=/SYS$SPECIFIC/UCX_LPD/ACCT$FAX:\
    :cr:

    The queue initializes and starts without problem and sending a print command
    to the queue gives every indication that it is working normally:

    $ pri/que=acct$fax login.com
    Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) started on ACCT$FAX
    $

    Job LOGIN (queue ACCT$FAX, entry 859) completed
    $

    But, the printer shows no signs of life and nothing prints.

    The IP address in the Host entry is correct, UCX$LPD_SPOOL:ACCT$FAX.DIR
    exists and has the same Protection as similar folders for working queues
    (System:RWE, Owner:RWE, Group:RE, World:RWED).

    What am I missing here??

  2. Re: TCP/IP Printer Queue Problems

    In article <48cf759f$1$4879$607ed4bc@cv.net>, "Carmine Castiglia" writes:

    > What am I missing here??

    Are you sending data that the printer understands? Some PostScript
    printers, for example, will ignore plain text unless you manually
    tell them to report errors. Then they'll tell you all that plain
    text is not valid PS commands.

    DCPS, of course, can be configured to generate the PS for you in
    that case.

+ Reply to Thread