Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS? - VMS ; Malcolm Dunnett wrote: > I am using ghostscript 8.54 on my Alpha servers, using a kit that Mark > Berryman build back in 2006. > > I have tried downloading the latest version, but the build fails with > MMK ...

  1. Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS?

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > I am using ghostscript 8.54 on my Alpha servers, using a kit that Mark
    > Berryman build back in 2006.
    >
    > I have tried downloading the latest version, but the build fails with
    > MMK spitting out a "syntax error" from one of the .mak files.
    >
    > Has anyone built a newer version of ghostscript for VMS? If so, any
    > hints on how to get past this error (and on how well it works)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    How about fixing the failing line in the .mak file?

  2. Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS?

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:

    > Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > > I am using ghostscript 8.54 on my Alpha servers, using a kit that Mark
    > > Berryman build back in 2006.
    > >
    > > I have tried downloading the latest version, but the build fails with
    > > MMK spitting out a "syntax error" from one of the .mak files.
    > >
    > > Has anyone built a newer version of ghostscript for VMS? If so, any
    > > hints on how to get past this error (and on how well it works)
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > How about fixing the failing line in the .mak file?

    Are you volunteering?

    D.J.D.

  3. Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS?

    On Sep 16, 10:26 pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:
    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > >> How about fixing the failing line in the .mak file?

    > > Are you volunteering?

    > Well I took a stab at it. There were several issues
    >
    > - The definition for the C compiler didn't seem to be passing through
    > to the included .mak files.
    >
    > - There are lots of instances of "$$" in the openvms.mak file that
    > ought to be a single "$".
    >
    > - the make file doesn't appear to automatically run the program to
    > generate arch.h, but I figured out how to do this by hand.
    >
    > - some compile commands are missing required "/include=" directives
    >
    > (I'll look into proper fixes for these issues later, right now I just
    > want to see if it's feasible to build this version and have it run, so
    > I've just hacked my way through these issues by editing the included
    > files - though a proper solution would concentrate all the
    > customizations in the openvms.mak file of course)
    >
    > I've been stumbling my way through all of this and have gotten
    > a goodly way through the build, but now I'm stuck on compiling one of
    > the modules with the following error:
    >
    > CC/NOWARN/NODEBUG/OPTIMIZE/DECC/PREFIX=ALL/NESTED_INCLUDE=PRIMARY/NAMES=SHORTENED
    > /INCLUDE=([.obj] ,[.src]) /OBJECT=[.obj]gdevx.obj [.src]gdevx.c
    >
    > #include /*Protect against compiling with different
    > switches*/
    > .^
    > %CC-F-NOINCLFILEF, Cannot find file specified in
    > #include directive.
    > at line number 62 in file SYS$COMMON:[DECW$INCLUDE]XLIB.H;1
    >
    > Note the error is in a standard VMS header module, not a file from the
    > ghostscript distro.
    >
    > I think the problem is that I don't understand C include directives
    > properly. What is the significance of the "<" vs quotation marks on the
    > include? What is the significance of the X11 prefix?
    >
    > The file apienvset.h exists in the DECW$INCLUDE search path, but it
    > doesn't get found, I'm assuming this has something to do with the angle
    > brackets or the X11 prefix.
    >
    > (As you can tell, I'm not a C programmer).
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    The traditional interpretations are something like:

    #include "yourfile.h" /* "file": look for file in the user's own
    directory rather than the system-wide includes */
    #include /* : means look in the system-wide
    standard places, rather than the user's own directory */
    #include /* look in the standard places, in the
    (sub)directory called sys, for a file called time.h */

    So given the source line "#include " and the error
    message reference to "SYS$COMMON:[DECW$INCLUDE]XLIB.H;1" I conclude
    that, whilst compiling XLIB.H (which probably comes with VMS), the
    compiler was told to look for which means it may
    well have been looking for "SYS$COMMON:[DECW$INCLUDE.X11]APIENVSET.H",
    but could not find it. Does that seem likely? If the file exists in
    the right place, is it readable, and other such routine queries, *may*
    also be relevant

  4. Re: Is there an updated Ghostscript for VMS?

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    >>> How about fixing the failing line in the .mak file?

    >> Are you volunteering?

    > Well I took a stab at it. There were several issues
    >
    > - The definition for the C compiler didn't seem to be passing through
    > to the included .mak files.
    >
    > - There are lots of instances of "$$" in the openvms.mak file that
    > ought to be a single "$".
    >
    > - the make file doesn't appear to automatically run the program to
    > generate arch.h, but I figured out how to do this by hand.
    >
    > - some compile commands are missing required "/include=" directives
    >
    > (I'll look into proper fixes for these issues later, right now I just
    > want to see if it's feasible to build this version and have it run, so
    > I've just hacked my way through these issues by editing the included
    > files - though a proper solution would concentrate all the
    > customizations in the openvms.mak file of course)
    >
    > I've been stumbling my way through all of this and have gotten
    > a goodly way through the build, but now I'm stuck on compiling one of
    > the modules with the following error:
    >
    > CC/NOWARN/NODEBUG/OPTIMIZE/DECC/PREFIX=ALL/NESTED_INCLUDE=PRIMARY/NAMES=SHORTENED
    > /INCLUDE=([.obj] ,[.src]) /OBJECT=[.obj]gdevx.obj [.src]gdevx.c
    >
    > #include /*Protect against compiling with different
    > switches*/
    > .^
    > %CC-F-NOINCLFILEF, Cannot find file specified in
    > #include directive.
    > at line number 62 in file SYS$COMMON:[DECW$INCLUDE]XLIB.H;1
    >
    > Note the error is in a standard VMS header module, not a file from the
    > ghostscript distro.
    >
    > I think the problem is that I don't understand C include directives
    > properly. What is the significance of the "<" vs quotation marks on the
    > include? What is the significance of the X11 prefix?

    My memory grows DIMM but I believe that include "mumble" takes mumble
    from the current directory and looks elsewhere, maybe in what
    would be /include in Unix. Sorry to be so vague but It has been more
    than a few years since I last played with this stuff.

+ Reply to Thread