Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium - VMS

This is a discussion on Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium - VMS ; Is this possible? If so, any specific requirements on the drive? Sampsa...

  1. Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    Is this possible? If so, any specific requirements on the drive?

    Sampsa

  2. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    In article , sampsal@gmail.com writes:
    >Is this possible? If so, any specific requirements on the drive?

    Forrest Kenney demonstrated booting VMS off of a USB "flash drive" at a
    bootcamp 2 (3?) years ago. I would think that the only requirement be
    that it is large enough to hold VMS. Hopefully, Forrest will chime in
    here.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    wrote in message
    > Is this possible? If so, any specific requirements on the drive?

    Yes it is possible and I have done it many times and even done a demo.
    would not even both to try on a 2600, or any of the unsupported platforms.
    The rest of the systems you should have better luck. Having said that you
    should be up to date with your firmware.

    At the simplest level you need a FLASH drive large enough to hold you
    system disk. When I did the demo the first time I stated with a image back
    up of a system disk. Then pared it down to fit the size of the pen drive I
    had. Making sure that it was bootable as I stripped things off. When it
    fit the PEN drive I had I did an image back up to the pen drive.

    If you want to make a bootable installation kit you will need at least
    3 GB. For a useable vms 4 or 5 GB is more the size you will need.

    While it works, it is not supported because we simply cannot test every
    possible device you can purchase. I have purcahsed two apparently identical
    USB pen drives from the same vendor. One worked, one tripped over a bug
    in the USB disk support. They changed an interface chip without changing
    the part number, packaging etc.

    Forrest

  4. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    In article ,
    "forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam" writes:

    > At the simplest level you need a FLASH drive large enough to hold you
    > system disk.

    Shouldn't be a problem these days. A few years ago, I noted that my
    mobile phone had more memory than some of my VAXes. A few months ago, I
    bought a digital camera---2- or 4-GB memory cards are common.

    > If you want to make a bootable installation kit you will need at least
    > 3 GB. For a useable vms 4 or 5 GB is more the size you will need.

    That much? OK, maybe Itanium takes more space. On ALPHA, I've found a
    4-GB system disk to be enough, even if a lot of stuff is installed. On
    VAX, I use 2-GB disks, but they are only about half full, even though a
    lot of stuff is installed.

    I suppose a minimal VAX installation would be about 500 MB. On much
    earlier versions of VMS, maybe 250, and really VMSTAILORed down, 125 or
    so. (I think there was a variant of the RZ-23 disk which was a bit
    larger specifically so that it would hold a very minimal VMS
    installation.)

  5. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    > I suppose a minimal VAX installation would be about 500 MB.

    I managed to install VMS on a 250 meg drive. I didn't have X, I had the
    XUI installed. Can't recall the version, probably 7.2. This was on a VS
    3100-30. The installation itself was quite tricky because the procedure
    wouldn't normally allow it. Had to load the B saveset, then delete many
    files to pair it down, edit the installation kit's equivalet to
    KITINSTAL (the B saveset creates a system where the stsratup procedure
    points to the installation procedure so it doesn't use kitinstal) to
    bypass the disk size checks. Once all installed, I deleted unused stuff,
    made sure all library files still on disk were compressed, and then
    restored the B saveset again to bring back the files I had originally
    deleted.

  6. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    schreef in bericht news:gah7bp$h44$2@online.de...
    > In article ,
    > "forrret.kenney@hp.com_nospam" writes:
    >
    >> At the simplest level you need a FLASH drive large enough to hold you
    >> system disk.

    > Shouldn't be a problem these days. A few years ago, I noted that my
    > mobile phone had more memory than some of my VAXes. A few months ago, I
    > bought a digital camera---2- or 4-GB memory cards are common.
    >
    >> If you want to make a bootable installation kit you will need at
    >> least
    >> 3 GB. For a useable vms 4 or 5 GB is more the size you will need.

    > That much? OK, maybe Itanium takes more space. On ALPHA, I've found a
    > 4-GB system disk to be enough, even if a lot of stuff is installed. On
    > VAX, I use 2-GB disks, but they are only about half full, even though a
    > lot of stuff is installed.
    >
    > I suppose a minimal VAX installation would be about 500 MB. On much
    > earlier versions of VMS, maybe 250, and really VMSTAILORed down, 125 or
    > so. (I think there was a variant of the RZ-23 disk which was a bit
    > larger specifically so that it would hold a very minimal VMS
    > installation.)

    VMS V4.7 with DECwindows fitted on an RD54, alongside DECnet and a couple of
    compilers.
    Before that, an RA80 was a supported boot disk, at 121 MB.

  7. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    On 2008-09-13, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose a minimal VAX installation would be about 500 MB.

    > I managed to install VMS on a 250 meg drive.

    I once tailored 5.mumble down to fit on an RD32 drive (40MB). This let
    me build a MicroVAX 2000 with an RD32 and TZ30 in the main system box
    for travel. Took a bit of nibbling on the hardware because the TZ30 has
    a flex circuit that goes around outside its 5.25" drive footprint and I
    had to make room for it.

    I had MACRO and FORTRAN on it, but no DECwindows.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@rigenet.net

  8. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    On Sep 13, 6:29*pm, "forrret.ken...@hp.com_nospam"
    wrote:
    > would not even both to try on a 2600, or any of the unsupported platforms..
    > The rest of the systems you should have better luck. *Having said that you
    > should be up to date with your firmware.

    So this will probably not work on an rx2600 (which is what I'm picking
    up tomorrow) or were you referring to a rx2600?

    Sampsa

  9. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    On Sep 14, 12:56*pm, samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 6:29*pm, "forrret.ken...@hp.com_nospam"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > would not even both to try on a 2600, or any of the unsupported platforms.
    > > The rest of the systems you should have better luck. *Having said that you
    > > should be up to date with your firmware.

    > So this will probably not work on an rx2600 (which is what I'm picking
    > up tomorrow) or were you referring to a rx2600?
    >
    > Sampsa

    Here's what I MEANT to say:
    So this will probably not work on an rx2600 (which is what I'm
    picking up tomorrow) or were you referring to a ZX2600?

  10. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    It might work on the RX2600 the problem is that the 2600 firmware has
    problems with USB Mass Storage support. We rely on the firmware
    to get booted so if you are lucky the firmware will work with your pen
    drive but it may not. The firmware in the 2600, ZX2000 and the like
    is unlikely to get any updates to fix the known problems.

    Having said that the original demo I did was done using a 2600.

    Forrest

    wrote in message
    On Sep 14, 12:56 pm, samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 6:29 pm, "forrret.ken...@hp.com_nospam"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > would not even both to try on a 2600, or any of the unsupported
    > > platforms.
    > > The rest of the systems you should have better luck. Having said that
    > > you
    > > should be up to date with your firmware.

    > So this will probably not work on an rx2600 (which is what I'm picking
    > up tomorrow) or were you referring to a rx2600?
    >
    > Sampsa

    Here's what I MEANT to say:
    So this will probably not work on an rx2600 (which is what I'm
    picking up tomorrow) or were you referring to a ZX2600?

  11. Re: Installing VMS onto USB disk on an Itanium

    > While it works, it is not supported because we simply cannot test every
    > possible device you can purchase.

    But presumably it could be tested with and supported on HP USB devices?

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

+ Reply to Thread