HP to market a new OS for their PCs? - VMS

This is a discussion on HP to market a new OS for their PCs? - VMS ; http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?...

  1. HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao

    I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the
    desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?

  2. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    In article <0c92af3d-31d2-4b97-bfa6-9eac5e170f02@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    >http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao
    >
    >I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the
    >desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?

    OK, thanks Alan - I seen my duty and I done it! Anyone else? DJD??

  3. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    "winston19842005@yahoo.com" writes:
    > http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao
    >
    > I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the
    > desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?

    My boss mentioned the article to me and I said, "They already have another
    OS, VMS". I was going to mention it here, but I see others have beat me
    to it. Of course, what does it say about VMS when HP goes out after major
    publicity in the trade rags for an OS they don't have yet while still
    refusing to even mention the one they already have.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    > I already added a comment saying I hope they will
    > market VMS to the desktop.

    Why ?
    There are other OS'es that's far better for the desktop.
    I see no reason today why anyone would use VMS on
    his/her desktop, apart from some die-hards and hobbyists.

    For a business standpoint, VMS must be one of the
    worst choises for the desktop today.

    Jan-Erik.

  5. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    In article <9WQyk.2299$U5.4881@newsb.telia.net>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    > > I already added a comment saying I hope they will
    > > market VMS to the desktop.

    >Why ?
    >There are other OS'es that's far better for the desktop.
    >I see no reason today why anyone would use VMS on
    >his/her desktop, apart from some die-hards and hobbyists.

    It depends what they mean by a new desktop OS. If they just mean their own
    version of Linux then this is pretty much a non-story.
    If they truly wanted a new desktop OS then using VMS as the base could be a
    good way forward. Give VMS an implementation of fork which has been promised
    for a while and porting most Unix/Linux applications would become a lot easier.
    Then just upgrade its X-windows system with KDE or Gnome.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >For a business standpoint, VMS must be one of the
    >worst choises for the desktop today.
    >
    >Jan-Erik.

  6. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 06:27:48 -0700, Bill Gunshannon
    wrote:

    > In article
    > <0c92af3d-31d2-4b97-bfa6-9eac5e170f02@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
    > "winston19842005@yahoo.com" writes:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao
    >>
    >> I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the
    >> desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?

    > My boss mentioned the article to me and I said, "They already have
    > another
    > OS, VMS". I was going to mention it here, but I see others have beat me
    > to it. Of course, what does it say about VMS when HP goes out after
    > major
    > publicity in the trade rags for an OS they don't have yet while still
    > refusing to even mention the one they already have.
    >
    > bill

    Is this not just a reaction to Ubantu from Dell?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > For a business standpoint, VMS must be one of the
    > worst choises for the desktop today.

    I disagree.

    If HP put its weight behind VMS, you'd see VMS quickly gain the various
    Linux graphic/X software and it would make it easy to get new modern
    software onto VMS. (there had been some attempt at this when they ported
    Mozilla to VMS with all the underlying middleware that is required for
    this bloated piece of software, but unfortunatly, it did not become a
    on-going project).

    Consider the clustering capabilities and the ability to use CPU power of
    people's PCs when they are at lunch or in a meeting etc etc. Consider
    the clustering capabilities in terms of disk storage, software upgrades,
    security etc etc.

    Consider VMS's superior intrusion detection and logging.

    It wouldn't become defactor standard overnight. But I think it would
    become an interesting solution for corporate sites where not only would
    they get a robust OS, but also robust support from HP. And if
    maintenance costs were really much lower with VMS, then that would be an
    advantage too. (fewer people needed to maintain a fleet of desktops and
    servers).

    Where there is a will, there is a way.

    HP's CTO (is it still that Robison guy?) probably doesn't know VMS still
    exists and doesn't know VMS' full capabilities. The question is whether
    it would be cheaper to add VMS features to Linux, or update VMS to
    support modern applications.

    Now, consider if Apple were to license its OS so that Dell and HP could
    build MACs. This would make for a a very intersting marketplace. And it
    would put pressure on Microsoft to convert Windows to EFI based systems
    (OS-X is based on EFI).

  8. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> For a business standpoint, VMS must be one of the
    >> worst choises for the desktop today.

    > I disagree.
    >
    > If HP put its weight behind VMS, you'd see VMS quickly gain the various
    > Linux graphic/X software and it would make it easy to get new modern
    > software onto VMS. (there had been some attempt at this when they ported
    > Mozilla to VMS with all the underlying middleware that is required for
    > this bloated piece of software, but unfortunatly, it did not become a
    > on-going project).
    >
    > Consider the clustering capabilities and the ability to use CPU power of
    > people's PCs when they are at lunch or in a meeting etc etc. Consider
    > the clustering capabilities in terms of disk storage, software upgrades,
    > security etc etc.
    >
    > Consider VMS's superior intrusion detection and logging.
    >
    > It wouldn't become defactor standard overnight. But I think it would
    > become an interesting solution for corporate sites where not only would
    > they get a robust OS, but also robust support from HP. And if
    > maintenance costs were really much lower with VMS, then that would be an
    > advantage too. (fewer people needed to maintain a fleet of desktops and
    > servers).
    >
    > Where there is a will, there is a way.
    >
    > HP's CTO (is it still that Robison guy?) probably doesn't know VMS still
    > exists and doesn't know VMS' full capabilities. The question is whether
    > it would be cheaper to add VMS features to Linux, or update VMS to
    > support modern applications.

    It has been obvious for years that DEC/Compaq/HP did not, do not, and
    will not care about VMS! The handwriting has been on the wall for at
    least the last thirteen years and I think a case could be made for
    twenty-five years!

    The only remedy that I can see is for someone to buy the rights to VMS
    and try to market it. I suspect that anyone who did so would lose his
    shirt!

    If HP gave you VMS for free, you would have to employ the developers,
    the technical writers, and the hardware and software support people.
    That means a fairly large payroll. You would have to provide software
    support for the VAX, Alpha, and Itanic platforms.

    HP just MIGHT give you the rights to VMS if you would take over the
    support. Remember, there are commitments to DOD and perhaps other
    government agencies that would come with the package and would have to
    be honored. Some of those commitments run through the year 2020 or
    perhaps even longer.

    --
    draco vulgaris

  9. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:

    > HP just MIGHT give you the rights to VMS if you would take over the
    > support. Remember, there are commitments to DOD and perhaps other
    > government agencies that would come with the package and would have to
    > be honored. Some of those commitments run through the year 2020 or
    > perhaps even longer.

    I wonder how many of those DOD committments literally require
    VMS. E.g. that JSTARS (sp ?) contract involved a couple of
    alphas with a particular software functionality, maybe
    not necessarily involving VMS. And even if so, HP might
    fulfill the contract by devoting a handful of support engineers
    to that project and dump VMS as far as the rest of the world
    is concerned.

  10. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:
    > > I already added a comment saying I hope they will
    > > market VMS to the desktop.

    > Why ?

    because a cool native VMS desktop box would be
    about the only way to attract younger people.

    > There are other OS'es that's far better for the desktop.
    > I see no reason today why anyone would use VMS on
    > his/her desktop, apart from some die-hards and hobbyists.
    >
    > For a business standpoint, VMS must be one of the
    > worst choises for the desktop today.

    It had it's best days when it was sold as a desktop
    system. The decline went parallel to the neglection
    of the desktop.

  11. Re: HP to market a new OS for their PCs?

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article
    > <0c92af3d-31d2-4b97-bfa6-9eac5e170f02@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
    > "winston19842005@yahoo.com" writes:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3ga2ao
    >>
    >> I already added a comment saying I hope they will market VMS to the
    >> desktop. Anyone else here care to add a comment?

    > My boss mentioned the article to me and I said, "They already have another
    > OS, VMS". I was going to mention it here, but I see others have beat me
    > to it. Of course, what does it say about VMS when HP goes out after major
    > publicity in the trade rags for an OS they don't have yet while still
    > refusing to even mention the one they already have.

    If they suppport anything this way, it'll be NSK. What better way to move
    customers up to a real production platform that they actively support and
    sell (NeoView).

+ Reply to Thread