smiserver - VMS

This is a discussion on smiserver - VMS ; I have been trying to bring up a tape lib attached thru and MDR connected via FC. So have been running sysman for things like find_wwid and auto two of the nodes were impossibly sluggish and upon closer exam the ...

  1. smiserver

    I have been trying to bring up a tape lib attached thru and MDR
    connected via FC. So have been running sysman for things like find_wwid
    and auto

    two of the nodes were impossibly sluggish and upon closer exam the io
    from show sys was enormous for smiserver, I am doing a shutdown on one node
    to reboot it and this is taking a very long time. On the other node I
    simply
    killed the process and restarted it, which I guess I probably should have
    done
    as well, although doing so I was advised that not doing it from the system
    account
    could be unpredictable (I think that was the phrase).

    My question is what might have caused this, i.e. the great amount of io on
    the
    smiserver?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: smiserver

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >I have been trying to bring up a tape lib attached thru and MDR
    >connected via FC. So have been running sysman for things like find_wwid
    >and auto
    >
    >two of the nodes were impossibly sluggish and upon closer exam the io
    > from show sys was enormous for smiserver, I am doing a shutdown on one node
    >to reboot it and this is taking a very long time. On the other node I
    >simply
    >killed the process and restarted it, which I guess I probably should have
    >done
    >as well, although doing so I was advised that not doing it from the system
    >account
    >could be unpredictable (I think that was the phrase).
    >
    >My question is what might have caused this, i.e. the great amount of io on
    >the
    >smiserver?

    Communications to perform remote command functions. I've never seen great
    amounts of activity re SMISERVER in any of my clusters. Perhaps, you can
    provide more info and stats.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: smiserver

    In article <00A7F82C.01812F79@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
    @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Communications to perform remote command functions. I've never seen great
    > amounts of activity re SMISERVER in any of my clusters. Perhaps, you can
    > provide more info and stats.

    I THINK there was a bug---corrected by a patch---which caused it to hang
    sometimes. You can then kill the process and then restart it. From a
    non-SYSTEM account, you get the warning, but I THINK this is OK as long
    as the account in question has the necessary privs enabled.

+ Reply to Thread