How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF? - VMS

This is a discussion on How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF? - VMS ; I noticed this week that AOL has changed its "feed back loop" reports to completely remove the recipient/subscriber from its spam reports. In the past I had set the number of recipients for AOL to "1" and could easily see ...

  1. How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF?

    I noticed this week that AOL has changed its "feed back loop" reports
    to completely remove the recipient/subscriber from its spam reports.
    In the past I had set the number of recipients for AOL to "1" and
    could easily see the name of the recipient in a Received header -- now
    every address everywhere appears to be "redacted". Any suggestions
    for tracking these folks? At the very least I would like to tell the
    senders (in my case, often university faculty) that their email is
    being reported as spam.

    Thanks for any help,
    -Rich Helmke

  2. Re: How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF?

    -- On September 8, 2008 10:49:20 AM -0700 Rich
    wrote regarding How to handle new AOL
    FBL reports in PMDF? --

    > I noticed this week that AOL has changed its "feed back loop"
    > reports to completely remove the recipient/subscriber from its
    > spam reports.

    The AOL redaction process does more than this. They also take the
    local part of the email addresses they find in the To: and Cc:
    headers and redact that everywhere it is found in the email headers.

    Even so, if the message you are sending is to a list and it is that
    list name that appears in the To: header, it is possible to still
    have the email address be visible in the headers. Specifically,
    you can find it in the Return-path: header.

    PMDF 6.4 documents for the first time the fact that PMDF supports
    VERP. If you look at the online documentation in Section 4.1.2
    Positional Parameters, the error-return-address can include the
    "magic" token "+*" as a subaddress. This will cause the actual
    subscriber address to be encoded as a subaddress in the envelope
    from address. AOL will helpfully place and return to you the
    envelope from address in the Return-path: header of the embedded
    message.

    It is a simple matter of decoding to get the subscriber address.

    This will not work if the subscriber address appears in the To: and
    Cc: header because of my first point above.

    Of course, perhaps one day they'll figure this out too and redact
    it but, until then, it works.

    Jim

  3. Re: How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF?

    Hmmm. AOL is making this more of an exercise than before. Even the
    From: address is removed everywhere. I am using LISTSERV to generate
    these discussion lists and even that name is removed from the
    UNSUBSCRIBE and other message headers provided.

    I have also noticed that my message-id's are not unique. I tried
    setting up a special channel for AOL subscribers with "addrsperfile 1"
    so each message was sent individually to each AOL recipient. But all
    still have the same message-id. Can new message-id's be created for
    each AOL recipient with a REPROCESS channel or something similar? I
    need to figure out this unique message-id problem for AOL subscribers.

    Thanks,
    -Rich

    ALPHA2$ pmdf version
    %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.4
    AlphaServer ES40 running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3
    PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.4; linked 17:23:52, Jul 25 2008

  4. Re: How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF?

    -- On September 17, 2008 8:04:36 AM -0700 Rich
    wrote regarding Re: How to handle new AOL
    FBL reports in PMDF? --

    > Hmmm. AOL is making this more of an exercise than before. Even the
    > From: address is removed everywhere. I am using LISTSERV to generate
    > these discussion lists and even that name is removed from the
    > UNSUBSCRIBE and other message headers provided.

    This was my point about redacting local parts.

    > I have also noticed that my message-id's are not unique. I tried
    > setting up a special channel for AOL subscribers with "addrsperfile 1"
    > so each message was sent individually to each AOL recipient. But all
    > still have the same message-id. Can new message-id's be created for
    > each AOL recipient with a REPROCESS channel or something similar? I
    > need to figure out this unique message-id problem for AOL subscribers.

    There is something I do in one of my channel programs that it occurs to
    me might be possible in the script channel.

    AOL does straight string comparisons for redacting so all you have to
    do is "encode" the address in some other header (fortunately AOL
    returns all headers). For example, I add a header whose value is the
    subscribed address changed by "rot13".

    This header ensures that any SpamCop reports I get are actually usable.

    Jim

  5. Re: How to handle new AOL FBL reports in PMDF?

    On Sep 17, 8:47*pm, James Galvin wrote:
    > There is something I do in one of my channel programs that it occurs to
    > me might be possible in the script channel.
    >
    > AOL does straight string comparisons for redacting so all you have to
    > do is "encode" the address in some other header (fortunately AOL
    > returns all headers). *For example, I add a header whose value is the
    > subscribed address changed by "rot13".

    That is an interesting solution which I had not thought of. Thanks
    for your tip.
    -Rich

+ Reply to Thread