Did Windows just cry "Uncle"? - VMS

This is a discussion on Did Windows just cry "Uncle"? - VMS ; LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News) suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about seven hours and infuriating its users. Weren't there ...

  1. Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    seven hours and infuriating its users.

    Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    engine?

  2. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    In article
    ,
    yyyc186 writes:

    > LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    > suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    > the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    > seven hours and infuriating its users.

    They probably lost more revenue due to that outage than the move from
    VMS to Windows "saved" them. It's not just immediate revenue which was
    lost, but people remembering this when deciding to do business with the
    LSE or one of their competitors who run VMS. (They might not know they
    run VMS, but they will know if there were any comparable outages in the
    last few years.)

    > Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    > with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    > engine?

    Indeed. I think it looked scary from the inside.

  3. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    > In article
    > ,
    > yyyc186 writes:
    >
    >> LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    >> suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    >> the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    >> seven hours and infuriating its users.

    > They probably lost more revenue due to that outage than the move from
    > VMS to Windows "saved" them. It's not just immediate revenue which was
    > lost, but people remembering this when deciding to do business with the
    > LSE or one of their competitors who run VMS. (They might not know they
    > run VMS, but they will know if there were any comparable outages in the
    > last few years.)
    >
    >> Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    >> with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    >> engine?

    > Indeed. I think it looked scary from the inside.

    It will be interesting to see if LSE dumps Windows and resumes using VMS
    for their critical systems. I wouldn't want to bet either way. Anyone
    who would replace VMS with Windows in a critical application should be
    looking for a job better suited to his abilities!

    Not that I'm holding my breath. . . .

  4. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    On Sep 8, 6:13 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > yyyc186 writes:
    > > LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    > > suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    > > the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    > > seven hours and infuriating its users.

    > They probably lost more revenue due to that outage than the move from
    > VMS to Windows "saved" them. It's not just immediate revenue which was
    > lost, but people remembering this when deciding to do business with the
    > LSE or one of their competitors who run VMS. (They might not know they
    > run VMS, but they will know if there were any comparable outages in the
    > last few years.)
    >
    > > Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    > > with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    > > engine?

    > Indeed. I think it looked scary from the inside.

    What's an "add"? Did you mean "advertisements"? That would be "ad",
    not "add".

    AEF

  5. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    In article <0ea19636-ef44-4d9f-bc02-c10375be696b@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:
    >On Sep 8, 6:13 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    >remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >>
    >> yyyc186 writes:
    >> > LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    >> > suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    >> > the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    >> > seven hours and infuriating its users.

    >> They probably lost more revenue due to that outage than the move from
    >> VMS to Windows "saved" them. It's not just immediate revenue which was
    >> lost, but people remembering this when deciding to do business with the
    >> LSE or one of their competitors who run VMS. (They might not know they
    >> run VMS, but they will know if there were any comparable outages in the
    >> last few years.)
    >>
    >> > Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    >> > with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    >> > engine?

    >> Indeed. I think it looked scary from the inside.

    >What's an "add"? Did you mean "advertisements"? That would be "ad",
    >not "add".

    He used M$ spell checker!

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    Some tidbits found in various articles:

    The system name is TradElect. It is one of many parts (including Infolect)

    A Sep 2006 article:
    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...g-platform.htm
    ##
    Accenture built the Tradelect platform in India between late 2004 and
    March this year. It uses much the same core infrastructure as the London
    Stock Exchange's Infolect high-speed market data broadcast system.

    Tradelect will run on the same "Extranex" privately managed IP network
    as Infolect and will rely on high-speed middleware developed in-house,
    which was created using Microsoft's C# programming language and the .net
    Framework.

    The system will run on Hewlett-Packard servers powered by 2.2GHz
    dual-core AMD Opteron processors.

    The London Stock Exchange estimates that moving from proprietary legacy
    systems will cut operating costs by 20%, with savings being made in
    hardware, networks, staff, service delivery and development.
    ##

    And this whopper of a reminder:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...-move-to-staff
    NOTE THE DATE OF THE ARTICLE. Yes folks, the infamous June 25 2001
    genocide announcement by Curly Capellas:
    ##
    We have been talking to our key Alpha and NonStop Himalaya customers
    around the world, and the response has been very positive. Here is what
    one of our most mission-critical customers -- the London Stock Exchange
    -- had to say.

    "The London Stock Exchange believes Compaq's decision to migrate the
    Himalaya platform to Intel Itanium is a positive move that will protect
    the Exchange's investment in its Himalaya based systems in the long term."
    ##

    After making that statement, the LSE quickly set out to dump Tandem and
    look for another platform. By 2001, .NET was still in its infancy, but
    LSE would have gotten pretty good NDAs with Microsoft and probably
    started to focus on that by 2002 and by 2003, it had alrteady started
    the porting process with the selected consulting firm.

    And this white paper from HP:
    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-6887EEW.pdf
    It extolls the vertues of HP Proliant servers. And it states that they
    have build a multi-site active-active system with synchronous
    replication. This will cause many to upchuck, but they claim they use
    Microsoft SQL server for its database.

    Oh, and HP says they bought 400 Proliant DL385 servers.

    Note that I found an article announcing NYSE was adopting Linux/8086 for
    many server functions, but keeping NSK on IA64 systems for core functions.

  7. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    On Sep 8, 6:56*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <0ea19636-ef44-4d9f-bc02-c10375be6...@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups..com>, AEF writes:
    >

    > >On Sep 8, 6:13 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    > >remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> ,

    > >> They probably lost more revenue due to that outage than the move from
    > >> VMS to Windows "saved" them. *It's not just immediate revenue which was
    > >> lost, but people remembering this when deciding to do business with the
    > >> LSE or one of their competitors who run VMS. *(They might not know they
    > >> run VMS, but they will know if there were any comparable outages in the
    > >> last few years.)

    > >> Indeed. *I think it looked scary from the inside.

    > >What's an "add"? Did you mean "advertisements"? That would be "ad",
    > >not "add".

    > He used M$ spell checker!
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Hide quoted text -

    My opinion on this - won't matter much. Windows continues to make
    progress and flourish, warts and all, with Linux (free is good) in
    close pursuit.

    Reminds me of a quote from P.T. Barnum: "I don't care what they say
    about me, as long as they spell my name right."

  8. RE: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    Well... this is not always the case when you have a high profile
    outage.

    Here is good example: (Windows *to* OpenVMS migration testimonial)
    http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm

    "Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical
    systems on Windows-based computers for many years, a customer experienced
    a virus in one of these systems that shut down production for two days
    while the infected systems were diagnosed, restored and tested. The
    impact was that plant production was severely impacted at no small cost.

    Despite internal opposition because of the established standard, Vsystem
    on HP Itanium servers running OpenVMS was chosen for the next system to
    be replaced.

    Very recently, this system was commissioned with no errors found and
    with excellent performance - one of the smoothest installations known.
    The heightened scrutiny of this project has made this significant
    success especially visible."

    [see rest of url]

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  9. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    On Sep 10, 1:45*pm, "Main, Kerry" wrote:
> [...]

    OK that's one, and that's good. But I'd bet for every "one" there are
    probably hundreds of Windows /Linux systems being sold. That's the
    reality that I see.

  10. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    DaveG wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 1:45 pm, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    Hundreds? Make that thousands or even tens of thousands.

  11. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    You guys didn't even bother digging up the USS Yorktown with your
    research. The one which got Microsoft banned from all navy projects
    and forced Bill Gates to buy have a submarine manufacturer to try and
    get his foot back in the door.

  12. RE: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    [snip]

    > >> Here is good example: (Windows *to* OpenVMS migration

    > testimonial)http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm
    > >>
    > >> "Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical
    > >> systems on Windows-based computers for many years, a customer

    > experienced
    > >> a virus in one of these systems that shut down production for two

    > days
    > >> while the infected systems were diagnosed, restored and tested. The
    > >> impact was that plant production was severely impacted at no small

    > cost.
    > >>
    > >> Despite internal opposition because of the established standard,

    > Vsystem
    > >> on HP Itanium servers running OpenVMS was chosen for the next system

    > >> be replaced.
    > >>
    > >> Very recently, this system was commissioned with no errors found and
    > >> with excellent performance - one of the smoothest installations

    > known.
    > >> The heightened scrutiny of this project has made this significant
    > >> success especially visible."
    > >>
    > >> [see rest of url]
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >>
    > >> Kerry Main
    > >> Senior Consultant
    > >> HP Services Canada
    > >> Voice: 613-254-8911
    > >> Fax: 613-591-4477
    > >> kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    > >> (remove the DOT's and AT)
    > >>
    > >> OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.- Hide quoted

    > text -

    > > OK that's one, and that's good. But I'd bet for every "one" there

    > are
    > > probably hundreds of Windows /Linux systems being sold. That's the
    > > reality that I see.

    > Hundreds? Make that thousands or even tens of thousands.

    Yeah, but let's not get caught up with the "Windows / Linux is going
    to take over the world mentality. Platforms and OS's are constantly
    shifting.

    I remember when people would laugh at you if you mentioned that
    anything would ever replace WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3 as desktop
    standards.

    Same goes for servers. In the last 10 years, the world and media
    was very much into distributed strategies where stability, security
    were important, but not really if it meant switching platforms.

    The next 10 years is heading towards much more centralized computing
    with a massive focus on reducing IT costs, increased security and
    much higher levels of DR/HA.

    Part of reducing costs will be a much higher focus on radically
    consolidating these one OS, one bus App OS instances and VM's that
    are reproducing like rabbits and moving to more traditional
    centralized strategies. This is because the number of these OS
    instances is directly tied to staffing and staffing is 60-70%
    of most IT budgets today. OS costs and HW are just a small, small
    piece of the typical IT budget.

    So, one needs to ask is whether Windows / Linux are platforms for
    massive centralized computing or are there better platforms better
    suited for these roles.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  13. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    Main, Kerry wrote:
> [...]

    I still have, and use, both! They're old but they do what I need and
    they're already paid for.

  14. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > LONDON (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange (LSE:LSE.L - News)
    > suffered its worst systems failure in eight years on Monday, forcing
    > the world's third largest share market to suspend trading for about
    > seven hours and infuriating its users.
    >
    > Weren't there a whole bunch of adds a while back about how London when
    > with Windows and that worthless Oracle product for their new trading
    > engine?

    So far the best write-up I've seen is here:

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/londo...fers_net_crash

    This is a blog post by a ComputerWorld reporter (Steven J.
    Vaughan-Nichols) who claims to know people in London who know things
    about what actually happened, and the further claim is that a
    combination of .Net, SQL Server 2000, and Windows Server 2003 are not
    the proper ingredients of a real-time system. Shocking.

    The ensuing discussion is mostly noise, but eventually someone does say
    VMS would be better for this sort of thing. Vaughan-Nichols responds as
    follows:

    "Actually, if HP was doing anything with OpenVMS, I would recommend it.
    And, I might add, I personally dislike VMS for reasons too tedious to go
    into here. But, I'll be the first to admit that it stable as bedrock and
    has, with the right clustering, the necessary speed. Unfortunately, as
    far as I can tell, HP would much rather you run HP/UX, Linux, or Server
    2008 than OpenVMS."

  15. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    On Sep 10, 6:43*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    > You guys didn't even bother digging up the USS Yorktown with your
    > research. *The one which got Microsoft banned from all navy projects
    > and forced Bill Gates to buy have a submarine manufacturer to try and
    > get his foot back in the door.

    I recall when the ship was dead in the water because of blue
    screenitis a few years back but I suspect Windows is back on board
    now. I remember seeing earlier this year on public TV a series called
    Carrier. While we were probably not taken everywhere on the vessel,
    we did see a lot of Windows here and there.

  16. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    >> I remember when people would laugh at you if you mentioned that
    >> anything would ever replace WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3 as desktop
    >> standards.
    >>

    > I still have, and use, both! They're old but they do what I need and
    > they're already paid for.

    I'm still running Lotus 1-2-3 on a V6.2 VAX. Yeah, I'm that cutting edge!

  17. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    In article , Marty Kuhrt writes:

    >>> I remember when people would laugh at you if you mentioned that
    >>> anything would ever replace WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3 as desktop
    >>> standards.
    >>>

    >> I still have, and use, both! They're old but they do what I need and
    >> they're already paid for.

    >I'm still running Lotus 1-2-3 on a V6.2 VAX. Yeah, I'm that cutting edge!

    Wow! V6.2... that is cutting edge!

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  18. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    Craig A. Berry wrote:

    > So far the best write-up I've seen is here:
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/londo...fers_net_crash

    That article does not contain any information I had not posted here on
    c.o.v. a few days ago. It is all documented in the LSE web site as well
    as the HP web site and a few older computerworld articles that date back
    when LSE launched the software.

  19. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    Well, it is all because HP is trying to kill off OpenVMS by pushing
    dramatically inferior products into the market. HP/UX is pretty much
    the laughing stock of the Unix/Linux world. SQLServer??? Yet another
    single user database from MS trying to sell itself as multi-user.

    Of course, you always find Aurthur Andersen at the root of any major
    debacle, and in this case it was no different. AA consulting under
    its newer name Accenture.

    How many of you are old enough to remember when AA through the
    consulting division out of the company because it was pulling down the
    reputation of the auditing business with all of the lawsuits against
    it? Nice to see nothing has changed.

  20. Re: Did Windows just cry "Uncle"?

    In article ,
    Marty Kuhrt wrote:

    > >> I remember when people would laugh at you if you mentioned that
    > >> anything would ever replace WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3 as desktop
    > >> standards.
    > >>

    > > I still have, and use, both! They're old but they do what I need and
    > > they're already paid for.

    > I'm still running Lotus 1-2-3 on a V6.2 VAX. Yeah, I'm that cutting edge!

    You wouldn't surprise me at all if it runs faster with large
    spreadsheets than the Numbers (iWork) spreadsheet on a Mac. :-)

    --
    Paul Sture