Re: Problem with PostScript files on Alpha - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Problem with PostScript files on Alpha - VMS ; From: Gremlin > I appreciate your input and can understand your possible frustration > but..... Apparently not. > - files have names and are in directories as you say, but identifying > sys$help:[cc$alpha_help_071]ug.ps makes absolutely no difference to the > ...

  1. Re: Problem with PostScript files on Alpha

    From: Gremlin

    > I appreciate your input and can understand your possible frustration
    > but.....

    Apparently not.

    > - files have names and are in directories as you say, but identifying
    > sys$help:[cc$alpha_help_071]ug.ps makes absolutely no difference to the
    > problem or the resolution. [...]

    Well, duh. Knowing an actual file name would let me know if I have
    the same file on my system, where, if I had it, I could look at its
    record format, as you failed to provide any info on this, making it
    tough to say whether ASCII or binary FTP would be more appropriate,
    among other things. Details which you deem unimportant may actually be
    important, believe it or not. (If you knew everything, you wouldn't be
    asking for help here, now, would you?)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Problem with PostScript files on Alpha

    Again than you for your thoughts.

    As you apparently know whether I really appreciate your inputs and
    effort or not, I won't need to make any further comment.

    As a solution to the problem came about by reading other peoples'
    suggestions, at least your comments about the importance of knowing all
    the details of the filenames shows that, it this case, there is more
    than one path to a correct solution. This time it was not yours, but
    JF's and others.

    So, to reduce the news group's noise and to further ensure that I don't
    show off any more of my ignorance (how wonderful it must be to know
    everything), I won't trouble you with any more replies for the effort
    you have expended on my behalf, for which I am grateful but, according
    to your opening remark, apparently I'm not.

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: Gremlin
    >
    >> I appreciate your input and can understand your possible frustration
    >> but.....

    > Apparently not.
    >
    >> - files have names and are in directories as you say, but identifying
    >> sys$help:[cc$alpha_help_071]ug.ps makes absolutely no difference to the
    >> problem or the resolution. [...]

    > Well, duh. Knowing an actual file name would let me know if I have
    > the same file on my system, where, if I had it, I could look at its
    > record format, as you failed to provide any info on this, making it
    > tough to say whether ASCII or binary FTP would be more appropriate,
    > among other things. Details which you deem unimportant may actually be
    > important, believe it or not. (If you knew everything, you wouldn't be
    > asking for help here, now, would you?)

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  3. Re: Problem with PostScript files on Alpha

    Gremlin wrote:

    > Again than you for your thoughts.
    >
    > As you apparently know whether I really appreciate your inputs and
    > effort or not, I won't need to make any further comment.
    > [snip]

    Personally, I make allowances for Steve. Genius and eccentricity often
    go hand-in-hand. You might also want to read up on Asperger's Syndrome.
    Folks like us are indeed quite socially challenged. Some of us learn to
    adapt. Some do not consider the reward worthy of the effort.

    Google this group for stories about Carl Lydick. Classic example.

    D.J.D.

+ Reply to Thread