huge USB disks and VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on huge USB disks and VMS - VMS ; I recently saw an ad for a 1-GB RAID-1 external USB disk for EUR 179. Is there any VMS machine (presumably Itaniuum) one could connect this to? What are the largest officially supported SCSI-1, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3 disks for VMS? ...

  1. huge USB disks and VMS

    I recently saw an ad for a 1-GB RAID-1 external USB disk for EUR 179.
    Is there any VMS machine (presumably Itaniuum) one could connect this
    to? What are the largest officially supported SCSI-1, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3
    disks for VMS? What are the largest which will work?

  2. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    I'm presuming you meant a 1 TB disk? I'm not sure a 1 GB disk is
    considered 'huge' anymore (even in 1994 when I got my DEC 3000/600
    with 2x1GB drives I thought they were a bit pokey.)

    Mark.

  3. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    In article
    ,
    urbancamo writes:

    > I'm presuming you meant a 1 TB disk?

    Yes, of course!

    > I'm not sure a 1 GB disk is
    > considered 'huge' anymore (even in 1994 when I got my DEC 3000/600
    > with 2x1GB drives I thought they were a bit pokey.)

    Indeed.

  4. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    What about one that hangs off the network - doesn't VMS support samba
    shares?

  5. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    On Sep 5, 1:10 pm, urbancamo wrote:
    > What about one that hangs off the network - doesn't VMS support samba
    > shares?

    Don't know about VMS and SAMBA, but the low-end unbranded NAS box I
    bought a while back has basically no security on its SAMBA shares (one
    username/password gets access to everything in the box), which might
    not fit well in any environment where folks care about security, e.g.
    a typical VMS environment. The innards of many low-end NAS boxes may
    well be similar, whether they come with a well-known ("trusted"?) name
    or not.

  6. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    >I recently saw an ad for a 1-GB RAID-1 external USB disk for EUR 179.
    >Is there any VMS machine (presumably Itaniuum) one could connect this
    >to? What are the largest officially supported SCSI-1, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3
    >disks for VMS? What are the largest which will work?

    AFAIK, VMS should be fine with any disk up to 1TB, for which the driver
    can handle all possible blocks. This would exclude IDE drives over 137G
    unless work has been done in that area recently. Due to the way SCSI
    drives work, ones up to 1TB should just work. This doesn't mean
    supported.

    VMS might have issues for drives with more than 2147483647 blocks, which
    works out to be 1.099 TB because the block number, if it's ever treated as
    a signed longword, could go negative. I know shadowing would have problems
    with that unless work has been done to address that recently. This
    2147483647 figure may be hard-coded as a limit in MOUNT or something.

  7. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    moroney@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:
    > (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >
    >>I recently saw an ad for a 1-GB RAID-1 external USB disk for EUR 179.
    >>Is there any VMS machine (presumably Itaniuum) one could connect this
    >>to? What are the largest officially supported SCSI-1, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3
    >>disks for VMS? What are the largest which will work?

    > AFAIK, VMS should be fine with any disk up to 1TB, for which the driver
    > can handle all possible blocks. This would exclude IDE drives over 137G
    > unless work has been done in that area recently. Due to the way SCSI
    > drives work, ones up to 1TB should just work. This doesn't mean
    > supported.

    The sign-bit restriction should be removed for (what will likely be called)
    V8.4, out in late 2009.

    This will theoretically allow volumes up to 2TB in size.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  8. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    In article ,
    brooks@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:

    > This will theoretically allow volumes up to 2TB in size.

    I'd be surprised if they stop there. Such disks may well be out by then.

    --
    Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
    Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.

  9. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    Howard S Shubs writes:
    > In article ,
    > brooks@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    >
    >> This will theoretically allow volumes up to 2TB in size.

    > I'd be surprised if they stop there. Such disks may well be out by then.

    The ~2TB limit is not particularly arbitrary -- that's the max allowed within
    the contraints of an unsigned 32-bit longword.

    I'm pretty sure that there are no plans to develop a new file
    system whose volumes can exceed 2TB.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Marlborough brooks!cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.com

  10. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    On Sep 8, 11:46*am, bro...@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks)
    wrote:
    > Howard S Shubs writes:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > *bro...@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:

    > >> This will theoretically allow volumes up to 2TB in size.

    > > I'd be surprised if they stop there. *Such disks may well be out by then.

    > The ~2TB limit is not particularly arbitrary -- that's the max allowed within
    > the contraints of an unsigned 32-bit longword.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that there are no plans to develop a new file
    > system whose volumes can exceed 2TB.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob Brooks * *MSL -- Marlborough * * * * * * * *brooks!cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.com

    We have run 300GB disks straight off a SCSI controller on Alpha and
    Itanium systems
    with no problem. If you want one let me know as we sell them all the
    time.

    Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  11. Re: huge USB disks and VMS

    Len Whitwer wrote:

    > On Sep 8, 11:46 am, bro...@cuebid.ovms.usa.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks)
    > wrote:
    > > Howard S Shubs writes:

    > > > I'd be surprised if they stop there. Such disks may well be out by then.

    > > The ~2TB limit is not particularly arbitrary -- that's the max allowed within
    > > the contraints of an unsigned 32-bit longword.
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure that there are no plans to develop a new file
    > > system whose volumes can exceed 2TB.

    Well, I've no personal aversion to using mirrorsets or shadowsets as
    volumeset members, as long as I don't have to support Oracle on such
    storage. Oracle side-steps too much of both RMS and ODS to allow that,
    and it's too primitive stone-age stuff for such things. Then again, 450
    tablespaces with ten or twenty tablespace files each where each file
    fills a 2TB volume sure allows for a whopper of database, even without
    volumeset support! Petabyte DBs are still possible - advisable being
    another question entirely, of course.

    > We have run 300GB disks straight off a SCSI controller on Alpha and
    > Itanium systems
    > with no problem. If you want one let me know as we sell them all the
    > time.

    Sure! ...as long as it's single-ended narrow SCSI-II with a 50-pin
    connector, will run in a SBB canister without overheating or overloading
    a 180 watt power supply and not cost more than a day's (gross) pay...

    D.J.D.

+ Reply to Thread