Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS ; From: tadamsmar > Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably., The secret is out (at last). Well, BACKUP alone can't do it, and if you'd like to preserve the RMS file attributes, you may wish to start by ...

  1. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    From: tadamsmar

    > Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably.,

    The secret is out (at last). Well, BACKUP alone can't do it, and if
    you'd like to preserve the RMS file attributes, you may wish to start by
    finding a suitable LDDRIVER to make your disc images. Depending on how
    much work you'd like to do, and how many data you'd like to archive, it
    may be useful to slip Zip compression into the flow, too.

    > Does anyone know a specific hardware and software solution for an
    > AlphaServer DS10?

    Not I. I gather that the DS10 has IDE, so an easier-to-find (and
    cheaper) IDE DVD writer should be possible. I had trouble with a
    Toshiba-Samsung drive, but managed to write a DVD using a drive which
    calls itself a "SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A 1.73", although that was on an
    XP1000 (with its very slow, CPU-consuming IDE interface) and on VMS
    V8.3. (Is the IDE interface in a DS10 as bad as the one in the XP1000?)

    > I suppose I can just stumble though it as try stuff. I posted on
    > this earlier and got some leads, but I was not really confident
    > that it can be done on 7.2-1.

    I'd guess that you'll need to do some of that stumbling, as V7.2-1 is
    too old for most folks to care much about testing on it. (I don't have
    it on any of my systems, for example.)

    > 7.2.-1 does not have CDRECORD in SYS$MANAGER, but it is there
    > on our 7.3-2 systems.

    I wouldn't expect that cdrecord to know what a DVD is. Around here:

    ALP $ write sys$output f$getsyi( "version")
    V7.3-2

    (Copy+paste solves the confusing punctuation problem, you'll note.)

    ALP $ mcr cdrecord -version
    Cdrecord 1.10 (Alpha/VAX-CPQ-VMS/OpenVMS) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jvrg Schilling

    (Of course, copy+paste on this Mac xterm seems to lose umlauts.
    Everything's complicated.)

    I seem to have one of these installed now:

    ALP $ cdrecord -version
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a42 (Alpha-HP-VMS/OpenVMS) Copyright (C) 1995
    -2008 Jvrg Schilling

    I'd give mine a better chance of chance of handling a DVD than I would
    version 1.10. (I don't know if I've written a DVD with it since about
    "a38", but the changes since then are probably relatively minor. What
    could go wrong?) Let me know if you can't get it built on your antique
    VMS version.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    In article <08090211162597_202004E5@antinode.info>, sms@antinode.info (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    > From: tadamsmar
    >
    >> Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably.,

    > The secret is out (at last). Well, BACKUP alone can't do it, and if
    > you'd like to preserve the RMS file attributes, you may wish to start by
    > finding a suitable LDDRIVER to make your disc images.

    You should be able to BACKUP to a saveset on the LD where both the
    saveset's and its internal file's RMS attributes are saved just fine.

+ Reply to Thread