Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS ; From: tadamsmar > > > > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1? > > > > > =A0 =A0Perhaps, but that may depend on what "7.2.1" is, and/or what it = > runs > > > on, and/or ...

  1. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    From: tadamsmar

    > > > =A0 =A0Perhaps, but that may depend on what "7.2.1" is, and/or what it =

    > runs
    > > > on, and/or what's connected to it how.

    > > > =A0 =A0Perhaps you could ask again, and include enough information for =

    > > > non-psychic to provide a useful and reliable answer.

    > > Digital Equipment Corporation's Open Virtual Memory System Version
    > > 7.2.1, which is now owned by Compaq.
    > >
    > > Sorry, I am sure using that "7.2.1" shorthand could mean a dozen
    > > different things when posted in the context of a newgroup named:
    > > comp.os.vms.

    > I should have said 7.2-1, I know that "." must have rendered my post
    > completely undecipherable to you.

    I could _guess_ what you meant. Why should I need to? I could also
    deduce that you were running on an Alpha, not a VAX (if you got the VMS
    version right, if that's what it was), buy why should I need to? If I
    were looking for free help, I'd try to make it easy to provide it, not
    hard. The answer to your question might also depend on what sort of
    DVD/CD recording you intend to do. ODS2, ODS5, ISO 9660, ...? Copying
    an existing disc? Many things may be possible.

    I normally use cdrtools, but I haven't tried it lately on anything so
    old as VMS V7.2-1. You're welcome to look around at:

    http://antinode.info/ftp/cdrtools

    and see if you can find anything useful. (The latest one is probably
    the best.)

    Feel free to complain if you have problems, but any bug reports as
    lame as the original question in this forum may be handled
    appropriately (that is, discarded).

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    On Sep 2, 11:00*am, s...@antinode.info (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: tadamsmar

    > > runs

    > > > Digital Equipment Corporation's Open Virtual Memory System Version
    > > > 7.2.1, which is now owned by Compaq.

    > > > Sorry, I am sure using that "7.2.1" shorthand could mean a dozen
    > > > different things when posted in the context of a newgroup named:
    > > > comp.os.vms.

    > > I should have said 7.2-1, I know that "." must have rendered my post
    > > completely undecipherable to you.

    > * *I could _guess_ what you meant. *Why should I need to? *I could also
    > deduce that you were running on an Alpha, not a VAX (if you got the VMS
    > version right, if that's what it was), buy why should I need to? *If I
    > were looking for free help, I'd try to make it easy to provide it, not
    > hard. *The answer to your question might also depend on what sort of
    > DVD/CD recording you intend to do. *ODS2, ODS5, ISO 9660, ...? *Copying
    > an existing disc? *Many things may be possible.
    >
    > * *I normally use cdrtools, but I haven't tried it lately on anythingso
    > old as VMS V7.2-1. *You're welcome to look around at:
    >
    > * * *http://antinode.info/ftp/cdrtools
    >
    > and see if you can find anything useful. *(The latest one is probably
    > the best.)
    >
    > * *Feel free to complain if you have problems, but any bug reports as
    > lame as the original question in this forum may be handled
    > appropriately (that is, discarded).

    > * *Steven M. Schweda * * * * * * * sms@antinode-info
    > * *382 South Warwick Street * * * *(+1) 651-699-9818
    > * *Saint Paul *MN *55105-2547- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the info.

    It is stupid of me to mock the people who I am asking to help me!

    The question of how well CDRECORD will work on VMS 7.2-1 seems a bit
    murky to me. But I am going to have to launch into an attempt to buy
    the software and hardware to do it.

    I had posted earlier on this topic and the info I got form that left
    me concerned with that 7.2-1 has some sort of unspecified limited
    support for CDRECORD.

    I will probably buy a DVR writer and some sort of SCSI converter to
    connect via the SCSI port. Some earlier info seems to imply that the
    USB port on the DS10 Alphaserver would be slow if it works at all for
    this purpose.

    Then I guess I might have to locate a driver for this converter set
    up.

    And I will install a version of CDRECORD.

    And then wade through all this an try to make it work.

+ Reply to Thread