Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS ; In article , "David" writes: > The system requires a certain brand of DVD/CDRW to work correctly > We went through 3 or 4 before we found one that worked correctly. > You'll need a laptop cd/dvd - the mounting ...

  1. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article , "David" writes:
    > The system requires a certain brand of DVD/CDRW to work correctly
    > We went through 3 or 4 before we found one that worked correctly.
    > You'll need a laptop cd/dvd - the mounting plate is preinstalled.
    > What was Hp thinking; not installing a bloody CDROM!
    > Anything to save $60 !

    Will an RRD45 work? I realize I might need a SCSI card if there's
    not on-board SCSI.

    --
    George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org
    cornelius A T mayo D O T edu

  2. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 29, 10:58*am, cornel...@eisner.decus.org (George Cornelius)
    wrote:
    > In article , "David" writes:
    > > The system requires a certain brand of DVD/CDRW to work correctly
    > > We went through 3 or 4 before we found one that worked correctly.
    > > You'll need a laptop cd/dvd - the mounting plate is preinstalled.
    > > What was Hp thinking; not installing a bloody CDROM!
    > > Anything to save $60 !

    > Will an RRD45 work? *I realize I might need a SCSI card if there's
    > not on-board SCSI.
    >
    > --
    > George Cornelius * * * * * * *cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * cornelius A T* mayo D O T edu

    The thing is most itanium kit comes on DVDs, not CDs (at least in the
    OpenVMS side of things). A CDROM drive won't be sufficient.

  3. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 29, 11:58*am, cornel...@eisner.decus.org (George Cornelius)
    wrote:
    > Will an RRD45 work? *I realize I might need a SCSI card if there's
    > not on-board SCSI.

    I don't know if an RRD45 will work.

    The rx2600 does have on-board SCSI, with an external LVD/SE
    connector. I suppose with appropriate adapters you could get an RRD45
    connected. Whether the EFI will allow you to boot from it is an
    exercise for the reader.

    There are a few options for the front-mounted CD/DVD drive. Not
    terribly expensive (on eBay, that is).

+ Reply to Thread