Hobbyist rx2600 - VMS

This is a discussion on Hobbyist rx2600 - VMS ; I just picked up an rx2600 from eBay (8 GB RAM, 2x900 MHz CPUs for a very reasonable 300 GBP IMHO) but it doesn't seem to come with HDD caddies. How expensive are these to procure and what's the best ...

  1. Hobbyist rx2600

    I just picked up an rx2600 from eBay (8 GB RAM, 2x900 MHz CPUs for a
    very reasonable 300 GBP IMHO) but it doesn't seem to come with HDD
    caddies. How expensive are these to procure and what's the best source
    for them (preferably in the UK)?

    Also, will the system (running VMS) accept SATA drives if I plug one
    of these SATA -> SCSI adapters into the drive?

    Finally, where can I get install media for this? I saw Montagar does
    the license but the media ordering page doesn't have an option for
    Integrity/Itanium?

    Sampsa

  2. Re: Hobbyist rx2600

    wrote:
    > I just picked up an rx2600 from eBay (8 GB RAM, 2x900 MHz CPUs for a
    > very reasonable 300 GBP IMHO) [...]
    > Finally, where can I get install media for this? I saw Montagar does
    > the license but the media ordering page doesn't have an option for
    > Integrity/Itanium?

    http://www.openvmshobbyist.org/forum...&thread_id=506

    One more vote, I guess...

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  3. Re: Hobbyist rx2600

    On 29 Aug., 10:31, samp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just picked up an rx2600 from eBay (8 GB RAM, 2x900 MHz CPUs for a
    > very reasonable 300 GBP IMHO) but it doesn't seem to come with HDD
    > caddies. How expensive are these to procure and what's the best source
    > for them (preferably in the UK)?
    >
    > Also, will the system (running VMS) accept SATA drives if I plug one
    > of these SATA -> SCSI adapters into the drive?
    >
    > Finally, where can I get install media for this? I saw Montagar does
    > the license but the media ordering page doesn't have an option for
    > Integrity/Itanium?
    >
    > Sampsa

    You'll need to get SCSI-drives with SCA-connector. The caddies are
    avail.
    for 20 Euros (the HP TC3100 servers use the same caddy.).

    BTW. It is possible to exchange the CPUs with more powerful ones:
    1.5 GHz 6MB cache is the maximum.

    Hope this helps
    Eberhard

  4. Re: Hobbyist rx2600

    I think I have the right caddies for these
    Will let you know Tuesday

    wrote in message
    >I just picked up an rx2600 from eBay (8 GB RAM, 2x900 MHz CPUs for a
    > very reasonable 300 GBP IMHO) but it doesn't seem to come with HDD
    > caddies. How expensive are these to procure and what's the best source
    > for them (preferably in the UK)?
    >
    > Also, will the system (running VMS) accept SATA drives if I plug one
    > of these SATA -> SCSI adapters into the drive?
    >
    > Finally, where can I get install media for this? I saw Montagar does
    > the license but the media ordering page doesn't have an option for
    > Integrity/Itanium?
    >
    > Sampsa

  5. Re: Hobbyist rx2600

    On Aug 29, 7:50*pm, B...@rabbit.turquoisewitch.com (Brad Hamilton)
    wrote:
    > I have bought *many* SCSI HD from eBay for my Alpha, to stick in existingSBB
    > blue bricks. *Only one outright failure in all that time, which set me back
    > about USD$10.00 (and I was able to re-use the SBB brick, so not a total loss).

    Same here, and for the same purpose. I've bought RZ1CD (4.5gb in a
    blue SBB) drives as cheaply as possible just so that I can remove the
    4.5gb and put in, say, a 146gb drive.

    I've had mixed results buying bare SCSI disks (to install into said
    blue SBB) on eBay. For the most part they've worked out fine.
    Occassionally I get a drive that fails within months. I only buy
    drives that are claimed to be new, though I'm sure the experiences
    with used drives wouldn't be much different.

+ Reply to Thread