Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS

This is a discussion on Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1? - VMS ; Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?...

  1. Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

  2. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    In article <5bd7d4a4-6846-4b35-9765-8948b9db7d3d@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, tadamsmar writes:
    >Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    Yes.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    tadamsmar wrote:
    > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    See: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  4. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    tadamsmar wrote:

    > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    If you mean OpenVMS V7.2-1, then yes, I believe there is a version of
    cdrecord somewhere that will run on that version with some CD-R
    recorders. V7.2-1 pre-dates data DVDs a bit, I think.

    D.J.D.

  5. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    In article <5bd7d4a4-6846-4b35-9765-8948b9db7d3d@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, tadamsmar writes:

    > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    If you have and use the correct software and hardware tools, I'm
    fairly sure you can do it.

    Did you want to record data CDs or music?

    Of course, by "7.2.1" in c.o.v I'm assuming you mean VMS 7.2-1 .

  6. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    On Aug 29, 10:30*am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <5bd7d4a4-6846-4b35-9765-8948b9db7...@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,tadamsmar writes:
    >
    > > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    > * *If you have and use the correct software and hardware tools, I'm
    > * *fairly sure you can do it.
    >
    > * *Did you want to record data CDs or music?
    >
    > * *Of course, by "7.2.1" in c.o.v I'm assuming you mean VMS 7.2-1 .

    Yes. VMS 7.2-1.

    Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably.,

    Does anyone know a specific hardware and software solution for an
    AlphaServer DS10?

    I suppose I can just stumble though it as try stuff. I posted on
    this earlier and got some leads, but I was not really confident
    that it can be done on 7.2-1.

    7.2.-1 does not have CDRECORD in SYS$MANAGER, but it is there
    on our 7.3-2 systems.

  7. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    On Sep 2, 4:18 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 10:30 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    >
    > Koehler) wrote:
    > > In article <5bd7d4a4-6846-4b35-9765-8948b9db7...@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,tadamsmar writes:

    > > > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    > > If you have and use the correct software and hardware tools, I'm
    > > fairly sure you can do it.

    > > Did you want to record data CDs or music?

    > > Of course, by "7.2.1" in c.o.v I'm assuming you mean VMS 7.2-1 .

    > Yes. VMS 7.2-1.
    >
    > Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably.,
    >
    > Does anyone know a specific hardware and software solution for an
    > AlphaServer DS10?
    >
    > I suppose I can just stumble though it as try stuff. I posted on
    > this earlier and got some leads, but I was not really confident
    > that it can be done on 7.2-1.
    >
    > 7.2.-1 does not have CDRECORD in SYS$MANAGER, but it is there
    > on our 7.3-2 systems.

    "just want to do backups on DVD"

    When I did backups in years gone by it was to media that I could be
    confident I'd be able to restore from, if the data was important
    enough to matter.

    Has recordable DVD media (and drive compatibility) reached that level
    of confidence? Certainly I wouldn't even consider rewritable media
    (based on PC experience), and I'm not 100% sure I'd trust write-once
    media either (some of my home-written Linux CDs and DVDs seem to have
    issues with being read after a while, same goes for some of the Ghost
    images I've used for backups).

    Just my 2p (which is a lot less than the price of a DLT tape, but not
    a huge amount less than a writable DVD).

  8. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    tadamsmar wrote:

    > On Aug 29, 10:30 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > Koehler) wrote:
    > > In article <5bd7d4a4-6846-4b35-9765-8948b9db7...@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,tadamsmar writes:
    > >
    > > > Can you record DVDs or CDs using 7.2.1?

    > > If you have and use the correct software and hardware tools, I'm
    > > fairly sure you can do it.
    > >
    > > Did you want to record data CDs or music?
    > >
    > > Of course, by "7.2.1" in c.o.v I'm assuming you mean VMS 7.2-1 .

    > Yes. VMS 7.2-1.
    >
    > Just want to do data backups on DVD preferably.,
    >
    > Does anyone know a specific hardware and software solution for an
    > AlphaServer DS10?
    >
    > I suppose I can just stumble though it as try stuff. I posted on
    > this earlier and got some leads, but I was not really confident
    > that it can be done on 7.2-1.
    >
    > 7.2.-1 does not have CDRECORD in SYS$MANAGER, but it is there
    > on our 7.3-2 systems.

    CDRECORD is freeware. Build it from source on the target system, if
    needed.

    Remember that CDWRITE, CDRECORD, DVDWRITE and others require that the
    data be staged to a disk image file; then, the image file is burned to
    the target media.

    I'm likely wrong, but I've not (yet) heard of DVD/RW software support
    for VMS as yet, only DVD-R and DVD+R.

    D.J.D.

  9. Re: Can you record DVDs on 7.2.1?

    On 3 Sep., 04:42, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > tadamsmar wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 29, 10:30 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > > Koehler) wrote:

    > > > * *If you have and use the correct software and hardware tools, I'm
    > > > * *fairly sure you can do it.

    > > > * *Did you want to record data CDs or music?

    > > > * *Of course, by "7.2.1" in c.o.v I'm assuming you mean VMS 7.2-1

+ Reply to Thread