Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS ; On Aug 27, 11:01*pm, Malcolm Dunnett wrote: > If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go > to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs > 10GB memory, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Re: rx2600s on eBay

  1. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 27, 11:01*pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:
    > If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go
    > to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs
    > 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.
    >
    > This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.


    Interesting deal.

    btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. No
    live entry that I can readily spot.

    --- old listing ---
    AVAILABLE : LA832238
    Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK GO :
    Quantity Units Frequency / 500 each Ongoing
    Price Per Unit Funds / 300.00 each USD
    Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    ---------------
    fwiw,
    Hein.





  2. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article , Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:
    >On Aug 27, 11:01=A0pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    >wrote:
    >> If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go
    >> to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs
    >> 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.
    >>
    >> This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.

    >
    >Interesting deal.
    >
    >btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    >recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. No
    >live entry that I can readily spot.
    >
    >--- old listing ---
    >AVAILABLE : LA832238
    >Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    > To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK GO :
    >Quantity Units Frequency / 500 each Ongoing
    >Price Per Unit Funds / 300.00 each USD
    >Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    >Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    >hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    >8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    >servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    >scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    >---------------
    >fwiw,
    >Hein.


    I'm tempted...

    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    .... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)

    Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  3. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 10:00*am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Aug 27, 11:01=A0pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    > >wrote:
    > >> If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go
    > >> to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs
    > >> 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.

    >
    > >> This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.

    >
    > >Interesting deal.

    >
    > >btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    > >recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. *No
    > >live entry that I can readily spot.

    >
    > >--- old *listing ---
    > >AVAILABLE : LA832238
    > >Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    > > * * *To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK GO :
    > >Quantity *Units *Frequency * / 500 each Ongoing
    > >Price Per Unit Funds */ 300.00 each USD
    > >Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    > >Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    > >hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    > >8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    > >servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    > >scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    > >---------------
    > >fwiw,
    > >Hein.

    >
    > I'm tempted...
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    QuickSpec for the 2600 tells that 3 OSs are supported: HP-UX, Win
    2003 Enterprise and Linux.

    No OpenVMS. Why?

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...a/11716_na.PDF




  4. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 10:52*am, DaveG wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 10:00*am, VAXman- *@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article , Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:

    >
    > > >On Aug 27, 11:01=A0pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    > > >wrote:
    > > >> If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go
    > > >> to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs
    > > >> 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.

    >
    > > >> This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.

    >
    > > >Interesting deal.

    >
    > > >btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    > > >recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. *No
    > > >live entry that I can readily spot.

    >
    > > >--- old *listing ---
    > > >AVAILABLE : LA832238
    > > >Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    > > > * * *To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK GO :
    > > >Quantity *Units *Frequency * / 500 each Ongoing
    > > >Price Per Unit Funds */ 300.00 each USD
    > > >Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    > > >Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    > > >hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    > > >8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    > > >servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    > > >scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    > > >---------------
    > > >fwiw,
    > > >Hein.

    >
    > > I'm tempted...

    >
    > > --
    > > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    >
    > > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.(NJSC)

    >
    > > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > > notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > QuickSpec for the 2600 tells that 3 OSs are supported: *HP-UX, Win
    > 2003 Enterprise and Linux.
    >
    > No OpenVMS. *Why?
    >
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11716_na.PDF- Hidequoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Ooops. One page 3 its not listed under Standard System Features, but
    the above are. One page 2, it is listed (v8.2 minimum version).
    Sorry for the ready, fire, aim message.

  5. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article , DaveG writes:
    >On Aug 28, 10:00=A0am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article
    >..com>, Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >On Aug 27, 11:01=3DA0pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    >> >wrote:
    >> >> If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system =

    >go
    >> >> to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CP=

    >Us
    >> >> 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.

    >>
    >> >> This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.

    >>
    >> >Interesting deal.

    >>
    >> >btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    >> >recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. =A0No
    >> >live entry that I can readily spot.

    >>
    >> >--- old =A0listing ---
    >> >AVAILABLE : LA832238
    >> >Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    >> > =A0 =A0 =A0To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK =

    >GO :
    >> >Quantity =A0Units =A0Frequency =A0 / 500 each Ongoing
    >> >Price Per Unit Funds =A0/ 300.00 each USD
    >> >Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    >> >Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    >> >hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    >> >8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    >> >servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    >> >scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    >> >---------------
    >> >fwiw,
    >> >Hein.

    >>
    >> I'm tempted...
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=

    >SIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=

    >ction
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=

    >NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =

    >outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=

    >right
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    >QuickSpec for the 2600 tells that 3 OSs are supported: HP-UX, Win
    >2003 Enterprise and Linux.
    >
    >No OpenVMS. Why?


    Because HP can't spell VMS -- even if you spot them the V, the M and the S.


    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    .... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)

    Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get another
    one?

    I am thinking about buying a few racks of these then offering them with
    disks and graphics etc.
    Maybe even preinstall VMS on them too.
    But we would have to charge considerably more to include a 12 mth warranty
    etc.
    And... the most important question.. how many people out there want an
    Itanium?

    Comments?


    --
    David B Turner

    =============================================

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    =============================================
    wrote in message
    news:00A7EC8E.3CB9DFFA@SendSpamHere.ORG...
    > In article
    > , DaveG
    > writes:
    >>On Aug 28, 10:00=A0am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>>
    >>..com>, Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> >On Aug 27, 11:01=3DA0pm, Malcolm Dunnett
    >>> >wrote:
    >>> >> If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system
    >>> >> =

    >>go
    >>> >> to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5
    >>> >> CP=

    >>Us
    >>> >> 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.
    >>>
    >>> >> This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.
    >>>
    >>> >Interesting deal.
    >>>
    >>> >btw.. it appears that the same servers were available through
    >>> >recycle.net as perthe following entry from the google _cache_. =A0No
    >>> >live entry that I can readily spot.
    >>>
    >>> >--- old =A0listing ---
    >>> >AVAILABLE : LA832238
    >>> >Shipping Pt. / Location: USA, ST. PAUL MINNESOTA
    >>> > =A0 =A0 =A0To contact this listing, ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND CLICK
    >>> > =

    >>GO :
    >>> >Quantity =A0Units =A0Frequency =A0 / 500 each Ongoing
    >>> >Price Per Unit Funds =A0/ 300.00 each USD
    >>> >Used Desktop Computers - H/P servers. RX2600 A6873A Intanium II proc
    >>> >Dual 1.5ghz memory 10gb 8x1gb & 4x512mb 3 Hard drive caddies but No
    >>> >hard drives RX2600 A6870A Intanium II proc Dual 1.GHz memory 10gb
    >>> >8x1gb & 4x512mb DVD drive 3 Hard drive caddies but No hard drives Most
    >>> >servers contain the following options; 1x quadrics qm500-a card 1x LSI
    >>> >scsi controller a6829-60001 1x Management Card
    >>> >---------------
    >>> >fwiw,
    >>> >Hein.
    >>>
    >>> I'm tempted...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0
    >>> =A0VAXman(at)TME=

    >>SIS(dot)COM
    >>>
    >>> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    >>> prote=

    >>ction
    >>> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    >>> (=

    >>NJSC)
    >>>
    >>> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article
    >>> =

    >>outside
    >>> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    >>> copy=

    >>right
    >>> notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Hide quoted text -
    >>>
    >>> - Show quoted text -

    >>
    >>QuickSpec for the 2600 tells that 3 OSs are supported: HP-UX, Win
    >>2003 Enterprise and Linux.
    >>
    >>No OpenVMS. Why?

    >
    > Because HP can't spell VMS -- even if you spot them the V, the M and the
    > S.
    >
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    > protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    > (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article
    > outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    > copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.




  7. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 1:40*pm, "David" wrote:
    > What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get another
    > one?


    I understand you're in the business of selling systems, so bad-
    mouthing any other source is part of the job description. However,
    I've had really good experience with buying systems and/or components
    from eBay. Yes, I had a power supply on a DS10L go but it happened
    shortly after a power failure and I don't think it was plugged in to
    the battery at the time. And yes, I have spare DS10Ls (two of them)
    that I bought at under $150 each on eBay so "chuck it away and get
    another" is an option.

    Looking at the bidding history two of these rx2600s had no bidders at
    all. So, presumably, you could have bought one at $199.95 +
    shipping. I paid over $600 for one of them (compared to the $1800+ it
    would have cost me through HP/DSPP, it was a bargain), so yeah I would
    have bought two at the $199.95 if I had known there were 50 more
    coming up for sale.

    > And... the most important question.. how many people out there want an
    > Itanium?


    Obviously I did. The guys that found the SMGRTL bug might want one or
    two if they're cheap enough.

    In my case it's a business expense since I make a living on OpenVMS.
    I do have one utility application (a PDF writer) that I want to port.
    My system will also be a test bed to do a "proof of concept" to
    convince a client to move their stuff off Alpha.

    And it looks like at least a half-dozen have sold already. The one I
    bought drew 6 other bids besides mine (gotta love eSnipe). We'll see
    from how many of the 50 sell whether there's a lot of demand.

  8. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    FrankS wrote:

    > I do have one utility application (a PDF writer)...


    Any link to that PDF writer ?

    > (gotta love eSnipe).


    I always use www.bidnip.com when "bidding" on
    non-BuyItNow items on eBay.
    125 successfull "snipes" so far.

    Well, I'd better ask the seller about "overseas"
    shipping. At $199 I could spend some extra on
    shipping...

    Jan-Erik.

  9. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    The actual seller have two different images
    in his auctions. Has anyone seen any difference
    in the actual specs of the boxes ? Maybe it's
    just two different images and nothing else...

    I have seen that *one* auction is specified
    as "2GB" instead of "10GB".

    B.t.w, one sold @ $455 just a few minutes ago.

    Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article , Malcolm Dunnett writes:
    >David wrote:
    >> What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get another
    >> one?

    >
    > Sure, why not. At that price you could buy several spare boxes for
    >the price of a system with a warranty. :-). Or one could put them on
    >maintenance with HP if that is a concern.


    Like the one I got via the Intel 3 day porting seminar? It's become a
    parts carcass for the one that is still lumbering along.

    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    .... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)

    Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  11. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 12:19*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , Malcolm Dunnett writes:
    > >David wrote:
    > >> What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get another
    > >> one?

    >
    > > * Sure, why not. At that price you could buy several spare boxes for
    > >the price of a system with a warranty. :-). Or one could put them on
    > >maintenance with HP if that is a concern.

    >
    > Like the one I got via the Intel 3 day porting seminar? *It's become a
    > parts carcass for the one that is still lumbering along.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    rx 2600's for sale!!!!!!! Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc

    We have just bought 25 of these units and will be offering them to
    anyone who wants one. We will be testing them as soon as they
    arrive (About 1 week) and they will be available for sale. We will
    be putting a one year warranty on them to protect the buyer. Pricing
    will depend on the final configuration desired.

    We can pre-load VMS, Linux or HP-UX as per buyers request. Or
    the machine can be bought with no software. (Contact us on how
    to get the licenses for free)

    Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions.

    Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  12. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 2:54*pm, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Any link to that PDF writer ?


    Coming soon. I have some cleaning up to do; error trapping and such.
    The native Alpha version is being used daily at a client site, so it's
    stable.

    It is only to convert plain text to PDF. No images or fancy fonts at
    this time. Maybe some later version, if I can make the time.



  13. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    Len Whitwer wrote:

    > rx 2600's for sale!!!!!!! Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc
    >
    > We have just bought 25 of these units and will be offering them to
    > anyone who wants one.


    Does "anyone" include someone in Sweden ?

    > Pricing
    > will depend on the final configuration desired.


    Lets say, as in the auction ?

    Jan-Erik.

    >
    > We can pre-load VMS, Linux or HP-UX as per buyers request. Or
    > the machine can be bought with no software. (Contact us on how
    > to get the licenses for free)
    >
    > Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions.
    >
    > Len Whitwer
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > Woodinville, WA 98072
    > e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    > Internet: http://www.psds.com
    > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > Fax: (425) 488-6414


  14. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 2:51*pm, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Len Whitwer wrote:
    > > rx 2600's for sale!!!!!!! Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc

    >
    > > We have just bought 25 of these units and will be offering them to
    > > anyone who wants one.

    >
    > Does "anyone" include someone in Sweden ?
    >
    > > Pricing
    > > will depend on the final configuration desired.

    >
    > Lets say, as in the auction ?
    >
    > Jan-Erik.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > We can pre-load VMS, Linux or HP-UX as per buyers request. Or
    > > the machine can be bought with no software. (Contact us on how
    > > to get the licenses for free)

    >
    > > Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions.

    >
    > > Len Whitwer

    >
    > > -Len Whitwer
    > > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > > Woodinville, WA *98072
    > > e-mail * *mailto:l...@psds.com
    > > Internet:http://www.psds.com
    > > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > > Fax: (425) 488-6414- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    YES!!!! We will ship to Sweden!!

    -Len Whitwer

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  15. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    FrankS wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 2:54 pm, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > wrote:
    >> Any link to that PDF writer ?

    >
    > Coming soon. I have some cleaning up to do; error trapping and such.
    > The native Alpha version is being used daily at a client site, so it's
    > stable.
    >
    > It is only to convert plain text to PDF. No images or fancy fonts at
    > this time. Maybe some later version, if I can make the time.
    >
    >


    Oh, sorry. I ment the Alpha version...

    Jan-Erik.

  16. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    Len Whitwer wrote:

    >> Does "anyone" include someone in Sweden ?

    >
    >
    > YES!!!! We will ship to Sweden!!
    >
    >>
    >>> Pricing
    >>> will depend on the final configuration desired.

    >>
    >> Lets say, as in the auction ?
    >>


    OK, fine. I guess there is a reason you didn't
    answer the pricing question, right ? :-) :-)

    Jan-Erik.



    >> Does "anyone" include someone in Sweden ?

    >
    > YES!!!! We will ship to Sweden!!
    >
    >>
    >>> Pricing
    >>> will depend on the final configuration desired.

    >> Lets say, as in the auction ?
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> We can pre-load VMS, Linux or HP-UX as per buyers request. Or
    >>> the machine can be bought with no software. (Contact us on how
    >>> to get the licenses for free)
    >>> Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions.
    >>> Len Whitwer
    >>> -Len Whitwer
    >>> Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    >>> 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    >>> Woodinville, WA 98072
    >>> e-mail mailto:l...@psds.com
    >>> Internet:http://www.psds.com
    >>> Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    >>> Tel: (425) 488-0710
    >>> Fax: (425) 488-6414- Hide quoted text -

    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > YES!!!! We will ship to Sweden!!
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    >
    > -Len Whitwer
    > Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    > 19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    > Woodinville, WA 98072
    > e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    > Internet: http://www.psds.com
    > Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    > Tel: (425) 488-0710
    > Fax: (425) 488-6414


  17. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    Hang on a second...
    I am not bad mouthing them.
    I talked to them this morning because I am interested myself.
    I was just curious of the mentality of people that buy things like this on
    Ebay.
    Some companies allow their IT people to buy on Ebay and many don't. Many IT
    pros have to justify their purchases.

    If anything we lose business when asked if a competitor is OK. Most of the
    people we deal with and compete with ARE reputable and I would NEVER EVER
    EVER say otherwise.
    I do not appreciate the insinuation that we have ever bad mouthed ANYONE!!!

    David

    "FrankS" wrote in message
    news:ff400ea4-f7d7-4bf5-9613-cb4985bb8558@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...
    On Aug 28, 1:40 pm, "David" wrote:
    > What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get
    > another
    > one?


    I understand you're in the business of selling systems, so bad-
    mouthing any other source is part of the job description. However,
    I've had really good experience with buying systems and/or components
    from eBay. Yes, I had a power supply on a DS10L go but it happened
    shortly after a power failure and I don't think it was plugged in to
    the battery at the time. And yes, I have spare DS10Ls (two of them)
    that I bought at under $150 each on eBay so "chuck it away and get
    another" is an option.

    Looking at the bidding history two of these rx2600s had no bidders at
    all. So, presumably, you could have bought one at $199.95 +
    shipping. I paid over $600 for one of them (compared to the $1800+ it
    would have cost me through HP/DSPP, it was a bargain), so yeah I would
    have bought two at the $199.95 if I had known there were 50 more
    coming up for sale.

    > And... the most important question.. how many people out there want an
    > Itanium?


    Obviously I did. The guys that found the SMGRTL bug might want one or
    two if they're cheap enough.

    In my case it's a business expense since I make a living on OpenVMS.
    I do have one utility application (a PDF writer) that I want to port.
    My system will also be a test bed to do a "proof of concept" to
    convince a client to move their stuff off Alpha.

    And it looks like at least a half-dozen have sold already. The one I
    bought drew 6 other bids besides mine (gotta love eSnipe). We'll see
    from how many of the 50 sell whether there's a lot of demand.



  18. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >>
    >> What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get
    >> another one?

    >
    > Sure, why not. At that price you could buy several spare boxes for the
    > price of a system with a warranty. :-). Or one could put them on maintenance
    > with HP if that is a concern.
    >
    > As I said, caveat emptor, but I suspect these boxes would be solid systems
    > that would provide years of reliable service (that's been my experience so
    > far with the rx2600/zx6000s I've bought on eBay).
    >
    >>
    >> I am thinking about buying a few racks of these then offering them with
    >> disks and graphics etc.
    >> Maybe even preinstall VMS on them too.
    >> But we would have to charge considerably more to include a 12 mth warranty
    >> etc.

    >
    > There may be a market for systems with a longer warranty and of course one
    > would expect to pay for that guarantee.
    >
    >> And... the most important question.. how many people out there want an
    >> Itanium?
    >>

    > Don't know - let's see how many people buy one of these.
    >
    > Personally I don't know why one wouldn't want an Itanium. The ones I have
    > work just great - the rx2600s typically outperforms my ES40s and use a lot
    > less rack space and power. I have a box similar to these ones that makes a
    > pretty sweet Oracle server.
    >
    > I haven't done a lot of porting of my apps yet, but with the testing I've
    > done so far it's been pretty painless.
    >
    > If you have some critical version dependent code or an app without sources
    > that the vendor won't support on Itanium or need for VAX Floating Point or
    > specialized hardware I can see sticking with VAX or Alpha - but if you have
    > your own code or you're a hobbyist I'd go for an Itanium (especially if you
    > compare the specs on one of these systems to what a DS10 or DS20 is going
    > for).
    >


    I took four developers to one of the HP Alpha to Integrity porting
    workshops; one of the guys had an application written in FORTRAN.

    It seems that there was a syntax change in one particular command I
    don't know if it was a FORTRAN77 vs. 90 thing or not- and, in a
    nutshell, he pulled up his source in TPU, made a global change, saved,
    linked compiled, and was done.

    WWWebb

  19. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    David Turner wrote:
    > Hang on a second...
    > I am not bad mouthing them.
    > I talked to them this morning because I am interested myself.
    > I was just curious of the mentality of people that buy things like this on
    > Ebay.
    > Some companies allow their IT people to buy on Ebay and many don't. Many IT
    > pros have to justify their purchases.
    >


    I used to buy on e-Bay for my company. Somebody was dumping stuff on the
    market and I was able to get blue StorageWork Shelves for $20 or $30
    each. I picked up some 9 GB drives at a pretty good price. Paid for it
    with the company credit card. If you can:
    a. trust the people you are dealing with, and
    b. get stuff at or below list
    it's the right thing to do.

    We had to stop because Pay-Pal said they had to have access to the
    company bank account which we, of course, were not authorized to give them.

  20. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article <41985b3a-4ee5-451a-aa4c-85a555672871@1g2000pre.googlegroups.com>, Len Whitwer writes:
    >On Aug 28, 12:19=A0pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article , Malcolm Dunnett
    >spammers.are.scum> writes:
    >> >David wrote:
    >> >> What happens when it dies after 45 days? Just chuck it away and get an=

    >other
    >> >> one?

    >>
    >> > =A0 Sure, why not. At that price you could buy several spare boxes for
    >> >the price of a system with a warranty. :-). Or one could put them on
    >> >maintenance with HP if that is a concern.

    >>
    >> Like the one I got via the Intel 3 day porting seminar? =A0It's become a
    >> parts carcass for the one that is still lumbering along.
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=

    >SIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=

    >ction
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=

    >NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =

    >outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=

    >right
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    >
    >---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    >-----------------------------------
    >
    >rx 2600's for sale!!!!!!! Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc
    >
    >We have just bought 25 of these units and will be offering them to
    >anyone who wants one. We will be testing them as soon as they
    >arrive (About 1 week) and they will be available for sale. We will
    >be putting a one year warranty on them to protect the buyer. Pricing
    >will depend on the final configuration desired.
    >
    >We can pre-load VMS, Linux or HP-UX as per buyers request. Or
    >the machine can be bought with no software. (Contact us on how
    >to get the licenses for free)
    >
    >Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions.
    >
    >Len Whitwer


    What about rack mounting kit? :roll:

    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    .... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)

    Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    notice, disclaimer and quotations.