Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: rx2600s on eBay - VMS ; On Aug 27, 11:01*pm, Malcolm Dunnett wrote: > If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go > to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs > 10GB memory, ...

  1. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    wrote:
    > If any of you hobbyists (or others) want to run an Itanium VMS system go
    > to eBay and enter 200249647480 into the search box (rx2600 Dual 1.5 CPUs
    > 10GB memory, no disks). Should make a pretty sweet VMS server.
    >
    > This guy has 50 of them for sale with a BIN price of $500 each.
    >
    > Unfortunately for us foreigners (and Alaskans and Hawaiians) he only
    > ships to the lower 48.
    >
    > disclaimer: I know nothing about this vendor or this item other than
    > what can be read in the eBay listing. I've never dealt with him. Caveat
    > Emptor.

    I don't know the vendor either, but I did buy one of these servers
    from them (unfortunately for me, I paid more than $500 because they
    didn't add on the Buy-It-Now until recently). They do a fantastic job
    of packaging and shipping. The server was in a box with that rigid
    foam sprayed-in to keep it from shifting, then the box was strapped to
    a pallet and shipped by a freight service.

    I have powered up the server and it works fine. Still waiting for my
    OpenVMS v8.3 I64 media that I ordered from HP/DSPP, but I suspect that
    will work out fine. One thing in the fine print is that there is no
    DVD with the server, so you'll have to get that elsewhere.

    Even though I paid more than the current $500 price, I believe it was
    a fair deal. Others will now get an even better deal (IMHO). It's
    less than the price of some zx6000 workstation that have sold on eBay,
    and the rx2600 is on the supported list of servers for OpenVMS
    (whereas the zx6000 is not).

  2. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    In article , Malcolm Dunnett writes:

    > Having the management processor is nice though as it gives you a remote
    > console (via telnet) capability.

    I've always thought having the console on the network to be a fairly
    scary idea. Physical access controls often exist so that not
    everyone can access the console.

    I'd look real hard at my network security before I ever attached a
    console to it.

  3. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:49:57 -0700 (PDT), FrankS
    wrote:

    >I don't know the vendor either, but I did buy one of these servers
    >from them (unfortunately for me, I paid more than $500 because they
    >didn't add on the Buy-It-Now until recently). They do a fantastic job
    >of packaging and shipping. The server was in a box with that rigid
    >foam sprayed-in to keep it from shifting, then the box was strapped to
    >a pallet and shipped by a freight service.

    is the 10GB cited in the auction accurate?

    i was expecting a bare-bones box, to have the minimum amount of memory
    installed.

    per the quick-specs, max is 24GB.

  4. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 3:18*pm, Joe Bloggs wrote:
    > is the 10GB cited in the auction accurate?

    Yes.

    The unit I received has four 512mb memory modules, and eight 1gb
    modules. Total of 10gb.

  5. Re: rx2600s on eBay

    On Aug 28, 10:27*am, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:
    > FrankS wrote:
    > > a fair deal. *Others will now get an even better deal (IMHO). *It's
    > > less than the price of some zx6000 workstation that have sold on eBay,
    > > and the rx2600 is on the supported list of servers for OpenVMS
    > > (whereas the zx6000 is not).

    > In defense of the zx6000 it's basically an rx2600 without the management
    > processor and it runs VMS just fine even if not officially supported.
    >
    > Having the management processor is nice though as it gives you a remote
    > console (via telnet) capability.

    Interesting... I have a zx6k with an MP... perhaps the Madisons do
    not?!?!?

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread