Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA - VMS

This is a discussion on Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA - VMS ; I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is unable to log you on" ...

  1. Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to
    connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual
    domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is
    unable to log you on" message. I have tested with the security policy
    on the Vista machine set to "LAN Manager authentication level = Send
    LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 if negotiated", but it doesn't work. Nothing
    shows up in the Advanced Server event log to indicate what the problem
    is (show events), even though I have "failed logon event logging"
    enabled. Multiple attempts disables the account (5 bad password
    attempts are allowed), so the server is being reached and the username
    is passed correctly, but apparently not the password... ?

    Any ideas?

    (p.s. I posted this same message in the ITRC VMS forum.)

  2. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:25:20 -0700, Bobby wrote:

    > I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to
    > connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual
    > domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is
    > unable to log you on" message. I have tested with the security policy
    > on the Vista machine set to "LAN Manager authentication level = Send
    > LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 if negotiated", but it doesn't work. Nothing
    > shows up in the Advanced Server event log to indicate what the problem
    > is (show events), even though I have "failed logon event logging"
    > enabled. Multiple attempts disables the account (5 bad password
    > attempts are allowed), so the server is being reached and the username
    > is passed correctly, but apparently not the password... ?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > (p.s. I posted this same message in the ITRC VMS forum.)

    Don't if this would help, but if you install WASD and try the same thing
    turning on the logs you might get more information helping to determine
    if it is a client or server problem.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    On Aug 27, 9:25*am, Bobby wrote:
    > I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to
    > connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual
    > domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is
    > unable to log you on" message. I have tested with the security policy
    > on the Vista machine set to "LAN Manager authentication level = Send
    > LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 if negotiated", but it doesn't work. Nothing
    > shows up in the Advanced Server event log to indicate what the problem
    > is (show events), even though I have "failed logon event logging"
    > enabled. Multiple attempts disables the account (5 bad password
    > attempts are allowed), so the server is being reached and the username
    > is passed correctly, but apparently not the password... ?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > (p.s. I posted this same message in the ITRC VMS forum.)

    Look in Security Policies (secpol.msc) to see if:

    Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt sign secure channel data (always) -
    disabled

  4. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    On Aug 27, 11:36*am, Doug Phillips wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 9:25*am, Bobby wrote:
    >
    > > I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to
    > > connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual
    > > domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is
    > > unable to log you on" message. I have tested with the security policy
    > > on the Vista machine set to "LAN Manager authentication level = Send
    > > LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 if negotiated", but it doesn't work. Nothing
    > > shows up in the Advanced Server event log to indicate what the problem
    > > is (show events), even though I have "failed logon event logging"
    > > enabled. Multiple attempts disables the account (5 bad password
    > > attempts are allowed), so the server is being reached and the username
    > > is passed correctly, but apparently not the password... ?

    > > Any ideas?

    > > (p.s. I posted this same message in the ITRC VMS forum.)

    > Look in Security Policies (secpol.msc) to see if:
    >
    > Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt sign secure channel data (always) -
    > disabled

    Thank you for the suggestion. I checked this setting on the Vista
    machine and also on a XP machine that is working correctly. The XP
    machine has the setting "enabled", while the Vista machine was
    "disabled". I enabled the setting on Vista to test and rebooted, but
    it didn't work.

  5. RE: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    You might give this a shot. We had a problem when upgrading clients to Windows XP ServicePack2 a couple of years ago. Clients were able to connect but sometimes were in two-minute wait state and sometimes required multiple attempts to map shared drives. Default Windows Security Policy had changed and Windows firewall had been enabled by default also - but the final fix which would be easy for you to check was setting a system logical on the OpenVMS side:
    PWRK$LR_DISABLE_CLIENT_PING = 1

    When this solved the problem I added a line to our sys$startupwrk$license_r_start proc. - Pat G.

    On Aug 27, 11:36*am, Doug Phillips wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 9:25*am, Bobby wrote:
    >
    > > I am currently trying to get a Vista machine (Enterprise edition) to
    > > connect to Advanced Server 7.3B. When I try to connect with the usual
    > > domain\username & password, I get a "Logon unsuccessful... windows is
    > > unable to log you on" message. I have tested with the security policy
    > > on the Vista machine set to "LAN Manager authentication level = Send
    > > LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 if negotiated", but it doesn't work. Nothing
    > > shows up in the Advanced Server event log to indicate what the problem
    > > is (show events), even though I have "failed logon event logging"
    > > enabled. Multiple attempts disables the account (5 bad password
    > > attempts are allowed), so the server is being reached and the username
    > > is passed correctly, but apparently not the password... ?

    > > Any ideas?

    > > (p.s. I posted this same message in the ITRC VMS forum.)

    > Look in Security Policies (secpol.msc) to see if:
    >
    > Domain Member: Digitally Encrypt sign secure channel data (always) -
    > disabled

    Thank you for the suggestion. I checked this setting on the Vista
    machine and also on a XP machine that is working correctly. The XP
    machine has the setting "enabled", while the Vista machine was
    "disabled". I enabled the setting on Vista to test and rebooted, but
    it didn't work.

  6. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    I thought that Advanced Server was case-insensitive? My logon from XP
    is in all lower case (user & password), and the username for the
    (successful) Vista login is in lower-case, but not the password. It
    is my understanding that LMNT authentication converts the password to
    UpperCase during the encryption process, but that apparently isn't
    happening on my test machine. Now I'm wondering if there's a setting
    somewhere on either the VMS or Vista side for this, or if it is a bug?

  7. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    To finish this thread off, the final answer (see
    http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1263217)
    was that passwords were being entered on the Advanced Server side,
    directly on the command line, and AS converts passwords to uppercase
    when you do this. Example: mod user /pass=password stores the
    password as PASSWORD. Entering the password in quotes, e.g., mod user/
    pass="password", stores the password in lowercase. I'm still not sure
    why the XP machines were connecting correctly with lowercase
    passwords, but I'm not going to try to figure it out either.

  8. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    Bobby wrote:

    > Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    > the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    > typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    > AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    > fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    What are "small caps"?

    D.J.D.

  9. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Bobby wrote:
    >> Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    >> the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    >> typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    >> AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    >> fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    > What are "small caps"?

    I read it as:

    all caps = mixed case

    small caps = lower case

    Arne

  10. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Bobby wrote:
    >> Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    >> the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    >> typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    >> AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    >> fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    > What are "small caps"?
    >
    > D.J.D.

    Perhaps he means "lower case"?

  11. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 05:41:26 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    >> Bobby wrote:
    >>> Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    >>> the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    >>> typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    >>> AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    >>> fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    >> What are "small caps"?
    >> D.J.D.

    > Perhaps he means "lower case"?

    or miniscules (as opposed to majuscules)

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  12. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    In article <25CdnaLunpedfibVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@comcast.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >David J Dachtera wrote:
    >> Bobby wrote:
    >>> Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    >>> the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    >>> typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    >>> AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    >>> fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    >> What are "small caps"?
    >>
    >> D.J.D.

    >Perhaps he means "lower case"?

    Almost certainly that is what was meant. However "small caps" means
    uppercase characters set at the same height as surrounding lowercase letters
    see

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_caps

    and

    http://ilovetypography.com/2008/02/20/small-caps/

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

  13. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    On Aug 31, 10:46*pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    > > the upcoming holiday weekend. *It turns out that if the password is
    > > typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    > > AdvancedServer is successful. *Entering the password in "small caps"
    > > fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    > What are "small caps"?
    >
    > D.J.D.

    Sorry... "all caps" and "small caps" should have been "upper case" and
    "lower case (or mixed case)", respectively.

  14. Re: Advanced Server 7.3B & VISTA

    Bobby wrote:

    > On Aug 31, 10:46 pm, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    > > Bobby wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well, I finally made progress, just in time to forget about it over
    > > > the upcoming holiday weekend. It turns out that if the password is
    > > > typed on the Vista side in "all caps", then connection to
    > > > AdvancedServer is successful. Entering the password in "small caps"
    > > > fails with a "logon_not_valid" SMB message.

    > > What are "small caps"?
    > >
    > > D.J.D.

    > Sorry... "all caps" and "small caps" should have been "upper case" and
    > "lower case (or mixed case)", respectively.

    Ah. O.k. Sorry - I'm easily confustulated these days...

    D.J.D.

+ Reply to Thread