Putting my Vax in the network - VMS

This is a discussion on Putting my Vax in the network - VMS ; Hi: Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network? I made a reboot in this system but Im getting this message: vax01> set host vax02 %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable...

  1. Putting my Vax in the network

    Hi:
    Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    I made a reboot in this system but Im getting this message:

    vax01> set host vax02

    %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

  2. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    apogeusistemas@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi:
    > Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    > I made a reboot in this system but Im getting this message:
    >
    > vax01> set host vax02
    >

    > %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    We can't tell you much until you tell us more.

    What sort of network do you have? Thick wire Ethernet, thinwire
    Ethernet, UTP Ethernet. . . ???

    What networking software are you using? DECnet? TCP/IP? If the
    latter, which TCP/IP stack are you using. Which version. Which version
    of VMS?

    Please see http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  3. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6f22@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusistemas@gmail.com writes:
    >Hi:
    >Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >
    >vax01> set host vax02
    >

    >%SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  4. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6f22@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusistemas@gmail.com writes:
    >> Hi:
    >> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>
    >> vax01> set host vax02
    >>

    >> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    > Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?

    Yes, it must be. She/he would get a "Remote node is unknown"
    error message if it weren't.

    $ set ho titan
    Remote node is not currently reachable
    $ set ho xxxxx
    Remote node is unknown

  5. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    On Aug 26, 12:25*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6...@r15g2000prd.googlegroups..com>, apogeusiste...@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > >Hi:
    > >Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    > >I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:

    > >vax01> set host vax02

    > >%SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    > Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    vax01 ucx sh version

    DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version V3.3
    on a MicroVAX 3100-90 running OpenVMS V5.5-2H4

    vax01 ucx sh service

    Service Port Proto Process Address
    State

    BOOTP 67 UDP UCX$BOOTP
    0.0.0.0 Enabled
    FTP 21 TCP UCX$FTPD
    0.0.0.0 Enabled
    SMTP 25 TCP UCX$SMTP
    0.0.0.0 Enabled
    TELNET 23 TCP not defined
    0.0.0.0 Enabled
    TFTP 69 UDP UCX$TFTP
    0.0.0.0 Enabled
    vax01 telnet vax02
    %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 172.15.14.22

  6. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    apogeusistemas@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 26, 12:25 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6...@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusiste...@gmail.com writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi:
    >>> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >>> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>> vax01> set host vax02
    >>> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >> Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    > vax01 ucx sh version
    >
    > DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version V3.3
    > on a MicroVAX 3100-90 running OpenVMS V5.5-2H4
    >
    > vax01 ucx sh service
    >
    > Service Port Proto Process Address
    > State
    >
    > BOOTP 67 UDP UCX$BOOTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > FTP 21 TCP UCX$FTPD
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > SMTP 25 TCP UCX$SMTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TELNET 23 TCP not defined
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TFTP 69 UDP UCX$TFTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > vax01 telnet vax02
    > %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 172.15.14.22

    Are vax01 and vax02 even *conneted* to each other ?

  7. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:38:16 -0700, wrote:

    > On Aug 26, 12:25*pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6...@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    >> apogeusiste...@gmail.com writes:
    >>
    >> >Hi:
    >> >Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >> >I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:

    >> >vax01> set host vax02

    >> >%SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >> Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    >> * * *VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    >> protection
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    >> (NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. *Publication of _this_ usenet article
    >> outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    >> copyright
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    > vax01 ucx sh version
    >
    > DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version V3.3
    > on a MicroVAX 3100-90 running OpenVMS V5.5-2H4
    >
    > vax01 ucx sh service
    >
    > Service Port Proto Process Address
    > State
    >
    > BOOTP 67 UDP UCX$BOOTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > FTP 21 TCP UCX$FTPD
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > SMTP 25 TCP UCX$SMTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TELNET 23 TCP not defined
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TFTP 69 UDP UCX$TFTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > vax01 telnet vax02
    > %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 172.15.14.22

    What is VAX02 and which services are enabled there?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6f22@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusistemas@gmail.com writes:
    > Hi:
    > Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    > I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >
    > vax01> set host vax02
    >

    > %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    Well, all you've really told us is "it doesn't work" when you try
    a DECnet terminal connection. I could spend a long time suggesting
    reasons it might not work. Could you rule out a few?

  9. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <00A7EAF6.EC826887@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?

    I would think lack of definition would return a different error.

    Of course, errant definition could contribute.

  10. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    apogeusistemas@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 26, 12:25 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6...@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusiste...@gmail.com writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi:
    >>> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >>> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>> vax01> set host vax02
    >>> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >> Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional protection
    >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (NJSC)
    >>
    >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
    >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copyright
    >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    > vax01 ucx sh version
    >
    > DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version V3.3
    > on a MicroVAX 3100-90 running OpenVMS V5.5-2H4
    >
    > vax01 ucx sh service
    >
    > Service Port Proto Process Address
    > State
    >
    > BOOTP 67 UDP UCX$BOOTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > FTP 21 TCP UCX$FTPD
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > SMTP 25 TCP UCX$SMTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TELNET 23 TCP not defined
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > TFTP 69 UDP UCX$TFTP
    > 0.0.0.0 Enabled
    > vax01 telnet vax02
    > %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 172.15.14.22

    Alright, now show us the output of
    a. ucx show version, and
    b. ucx show service

    Are both machines on the same subnet: 172....

    FWIW, UCX V3.3 is just barely out of the dark ages of computing! VMS
    V5.5-2 is the lowest version with Y2K support.

    The last time I looked (years ago) UCX 5.x and VMS V7.x were current.
    Is there some reason why you must run these antiques?

    UCX V3.3 is something that anyone in his right mind wants to forget.
    UCX V3.3 is one of the reasons that I'm no longer in my right mind!!!
    If you have not installed ECO 13 (at least) SMTP, and perhaps other
    services, will not work properly (or at all). Since UCX V3.3 has not
    been supported at any time in the last eight years or so, you may find
    it difficult to obtain a copy of ECO 13 for it!

  11. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <48b422de$0$90269$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, "R.A.Omond" writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <873f24e5-389a-423b-a766-2a5c750a6f22@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, apogeusistemas@gmail.com writes:
    >>> Hi:
    >>> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >>> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>>
    >>> vax01> set host vax02
    >>>

    >>> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >> Is VAX02 defined in the namespace?

    >Yes, it must be. She/he would get a "Remote node is unknown"
    >error message if it weren't.
    >
    > $ set ho titan
    > Remote node is not currently reachable
    > $ set ho xxxxx
    > Remote node is unknown

    OK... should have read "properly" defined.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  12. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    For each node, assuming DECNET (set host):

    $MC NCP
    NCP> SHOW EXEC CHAR
    NCP> SHOW KNOWN NODES

    If you can post the output of those commands from both nodes, it may
    help diagnose the problem.

  13. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    On Aug 26, 10:13*am, apogeusiste...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi:
    > Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    > I made a reboot in this system but Im getting this message:
    >
    > vax01> set host vax02
    >
    > %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    Try

    vax01> set host /telnet vax02

  14. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <564dfd96-0cc3-4212-9c7a-bfd0c4e023f5@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, FrankS writes:
    >On Aug 26, 10:13=A0am, apogeusiste...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>
    >> vax01> set host vax02
    >>
    >> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >Try
    >
    >vax01> set host /telnet vax02

    Why not just $ telnet vax02?

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  15. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    In article <564dfd96-0cc3-4212-9c7a-bfd0c4e023f5@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, FrankS writes:
    >On Aug 26, 10:13=A0am, apogeusiste...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >> Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    >> I made a reboot in this system but I=B4m getting this message:
    >>
    >> vax01> set host vax02
    >>
    >> %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    >Try
    >
    >vax01> set host /telnet vax02

    The version of UCX he is running is quite old. I would bet that his VMS
    is old enough too not to have the /TELNET qualifier on the SET HOST com-
    mand.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  16. Re: Putting my Vax in the network

    apogeusistemas@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi:
    > Can you tell me how put my Vax 4100 in my network?
    > I made a reboot in this system but Im getting this message:
    >
    > vax01> set host vax02
    >
    > %SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

    O.k. - dumb question time:

    Did you add the startup of the network to the machine's startup
    procedure?

    It's not there by default in most VMS versions prior to V7.3 or possibly
    even before V8.2. Dunno - I'm losing touch with some of the finer points
    as I'm being sucked deeper into the UN*X world (which REALLY sucks!).

    D.J.D.

+ Reply to Thread