Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS ; From: "***** charles" > [...] Now I would like to get the latest vms version but > believe that I have to join some group in order to qualify which > I don't want to do. Why not? It's free. ...

  1. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    From: "***** charles"

    > [...] Now I would like to get the latest vms version but
    > believe that I have to join some group in order to qualify which
    > I don't want to do.

    Why not? It's free. Or are you simply unmutual?

    > I did find an 800 type number for ordering

    Whose 800 number? Which 800 number?

    > the media kit but the number doesn't let me do what I want. At
    > least the media kit was supposed to only be $25.

    Which media kit was that? $30, I thought, for the usual:

    http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/news.php
    http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

    > Do you happen
    > to know he minimum ram requirement? I only have 128M at
    > present.

    The Software Product Description (SPD) should say. As usual, it may
    depend on what you expect to do.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ and Search for "spd"?

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/ovms_v831h1_spd.pdf

    The minimum amount of memory required to install,
    boot, and log in to an OpenVMS Alpha system is 64
    MB. Additional memory may be required to ensure sat-
    isfactory performance for either of the following:
    Particular applications or number of users
    Particular hardware configurations
    Refer to specific layered product documentation for their
    memory requirements.

    I'd expect performance with 128MB to be pretty poor in many cases.

    From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > [...] I have 192MB on my Alphastation 200 4/233.

    Yow. I had 768MB in mine, and more would have been better. (Of
    course, more memory is almost always better. More than the 2GB max in
    my XP1000 systems would be nice, too.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    Re: media kits for the alpha.

    I might be able to accidentally allow you to peek under the table and
    FTP a big zip file. (8.3).

    However, you would need to either burn it to a CD and boot the alpha
    from the CD, or have some exsiting VMS system that could act as boot server.

    You will however need licences for VMS and the layered products, and for
    that you need to be a member of "DECUS" (or whatever its name is this
    week where you live).

  3. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "Steven M. Schweda" wrote in message
    > From: "***** charles"
    >
    >> [...] Now I would like to get the latest vms version but
    >> believe that I have to join some group in order to qualify which
    >> I don't want to do.

    > Why not? It's free. Or are you simply unmutual?

    No it's not, there is a charge. Free went by the wayside.1

    >> I did find an 800 type number for ordering

    > Whose 800 number? Which 800 number?

    To long ago to remember found it off the Internet.

    >> the media kit but the number doesn't let me do what I want. At
    >> least the media kit was supposed to only be $25.

    > Which media kit was that? $30, I thought, for the usual:
    >
    > http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/news.php
    > http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

    The kit was not from the above, it was more like it was directly from hp.
    that's why my ears were peaked. I had aready seen the $30 price.

    >> Do you happen
    >> to know he minimum ram requirement? I only have 128M at
    >> present.

    > The Software Product Description (SPD) should say. As usual, it may
    > depend on what you expect to do.
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ and Search for "spd"?
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/ovms_v831h1_spd.pdf
    >
    > The minimum amount of memory required to install,
    > boot, and log in to an OpenVMS Alpha system is 64
    > MB. Additional memory may be required to ensure sat-
    > isfactory performance for either of the following:
    > Particular applications or number of users
    > Particular hardware configurations
    > Refer to specific layered product documentation for their
    > memory requirements.
    >
    > I'd expect performance with 128MB to be pretty poor in many cases.
    >
    > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >
    >> [...] I have 192MB on my Alphastation 200 4/233.

    > Yow. I had 768MB in mine, and more would have been better. (Of
    > course, more memory is almost always better. More than the 2GB max in
    > my XP1000 systems would be nice, too.)

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  4. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Re: media kits for the alpha.
    >
    > I might be able to accidentally allow you to peek under the table and
    > FTP a big zip file. (8.3).

    thanks for the offer. I understand the dec world and the iso world are
    not always 100% compatible.

    > However, you would need to either burn it to a CD and boot the alpha
    > from the CD, or have some exsiting VMS system that could act as boot
    > server.

    burn and boot would be my first choice.

    > You will however need licences for VMS and the layered products, and for
    > that you need to be a member of "DECUS" (or whatever its name is this
    > week where you live).

    It's changed and they are not free anymore.

    later.....

  5. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    In article ,
    "***** charles" wrote:

    > "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > > Re: media kits for the alpha.
    > >
    > > I might be able to accidentally allow you to peek under the table and
    > > FTP a big zip file. (8.3).

    > thanks for the offer. I understand the dec world and the iso world are
    > not always 100% compatible.
    >
    > > However, you would need to either burn it to a CD and boot the alpha
    > > from the CD, or have some exsiting VMS system that could act as boot
    > > server.

    > burn and boot would be my first choice.

    This is what worked for me on my Mac (an iBook - other models may need a
    slightly different incantation).

    sudo ./cdrecord -dev=IODVDServices vms-cds/alpha083.iso

    Sorry, I can't remember where I got cdrecord, but it came as part of a
    package called cdrtools.

    --
    Paul Sture

+ Reply to Thread