Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time - VMS

This is a discussion on Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time - VMS ; Here is the scoop: VELO is a vax at 7.3 CHAIN is an alpha at 8.3 Both are linked by ethernet, so all disk exchances are via MSCP. Velo is shutdown, dismounts its $7$dia1 disk from CHAIN. When VELO dies, ...

  1. Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    Here is the scoop:

    VELO is a vax at 7.3
    CHAIN is an alpha at 8.3

    Both are linked by ethernet, so all disk exchances are via MSCP.

    Velo is shutdown, dismounts its $7$dia1 disk from CHAIN. When VELO dies,
    chain sees $7$dia1 as "HostUnavailable". This is expected.

    Now, Velo boots back up. Joins the cluster. Gets to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM
    where I then do a MOUNT/CLUSTER $7$dia1: so that VELO's system disk
    becomes visible to the rest of the cluster.

    The problem is that at the time VELO does this, CHAIN still thinks of
    $7$dia1 as "HostUnavailable" and doesn't mount it, but sees the drive
    mounted remotely.

    Here is the progression (show dev)

    VELO down:
    $7$DIA1: (VELO) HostUnavailable 0

    VELO booting:
    $7$DIA1: (VELO) HostUnavailable 0 (remote mount) 1
    mounted

    VELO mounting disk /CLUSTER:
    $7$DIA1: (VELO) HostUnavailable 0 (remote mount) 1
    mounted alloc

    ( I assume that this is probably a mount verification that allocates the
    drive)

    A while later:
    $7$DIA1: (VELO) HostUnavailable 0 (remote mount) 1
    mounted

    A while later:
    $7$DIA1: (VELO) Mounted 0 (remote mount) 1

    From that point on, a MOUNT/SYSTEM/CLUSTER on VELO will succesfully
    mount it on CHAIN.

    I can understand why when a new node joins a cluster, it may take some
    time for existing nodes to have their CONFIGURE process add the new disk
    drives to the list of available disks.

    But when a disk is already in node's table, and when a node sees right
    away that the disk is remotely mounted, is there a reason for the
    "HostUnavailable" status to remain ?

    Also interesting that the "alloc" gets added while VELO does the
    MOUNT/CLUSTER, and then gets removed, but HostUnavailable remains.

    Could this (god forbid) be a BUG ?

    (Note that the CD drive appearing as DUA0: on VELO also remains
    HostUnavailable for that same length of time, so it doesn't appear to be
    DSSI specific).

  2. Re: Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    The volume status is communicated across nodes via a lock, not via MSCP
    itself, and the status of this lock communicates status that indicates
    the mount count/remote mount as well as the transient allocated status.
    This status is normal if communication with the remote MSCP server is
    down, until the last status you gave where it was shown as mounted/remote
    mount. Not sure why it didn't show up as available quicker, other than
    the periodic MSCP "I'm available" message is a datagram which doesn't have
    guaranteed delivery.

  3. Re: Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    Michael Moroney wrote:
    > This status is normal if communication with the remote MSCP server is
    > down, until the last status you gave where it was shown as mounted/remote
    > mount. Not sure why it didn't show up as available quicker, other than
    > the periodic MSCP "I'm available" message is a datagram which doesn't have
    > guaranteed delivery.

    Are there SYSGEN parameters on VAX (7.3) or on Alpha that might result
    in the Alpha realising that the VAX's disks are available again ?

  4. Re: Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Michael Moroney wrote:
    >> This status is normal if communication with the remote MSCP server is
    >> down, until the last status you gave where it was shown as mounted/remote
    >> mount. Not sure why it didn't show up as available quicker, other than
    >> the periodic MSCP "I'm available" message is a datagram which doesn't have
    >> guaranteed delivery.

    > Are there SYSGEN parameters on VAX (7.3) or on Alpha that might result
    > in the Alpha realising that the VAX's disks are available again ?

    $ mcr sysgen
    SYSGEN> use current
    SYSGEN> set mystic_vision true
    SYSGEN> write current
    SYSGEN> ^Z

    8-) 8-) 8-)

  5. Re: Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    In article <1219219494_339@isp.n>, n8wxs@arrl.net says...
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    > > Michael Moroney wrote:
    > >> This status is normal if communication with the remote MSCP server is
    > >> down, until the last status you gave where it was shown as mounted/remote
    > >> mount. Not sure why it didn't show up as available quicker, other than
    > >> the periodic MSCP "I'm available" message is a datagram which doesn't have
    > >> guaranteed delivery.

    > > Are there SYSGEN parameters on VAX (7.3) or on Alpha that might result
    > > in the Alpha realising that the VAX's disks are available again ?

    > $ mcr sysgen
    > SYSGEN> use current
    > SYSGEN> set mystic_vision true
    > SYSGEN> write current
    > SYSGEN> ^Z
    >

    > 8-) 8-) 8-)

    Isn't this a dynamic parameter? (I'd check for the "D" but I'm on my
    PC at the moment.) If so, change "current" to "active" and avoid the
    reboot. :-) :-)

    --
    John

  6. Re: Disk remains in HostUnavailable for a very long time

    John Santos wrote:
    > In article <1219219494_339@isp.n>, n8wxs@arrl.net says...
    >> JF Mezei wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are there SYSGEN parameters on VAX (7.3) or on Alpha that might result
    >>> in the Alpha realising that the VAX's disks are available again ?

    >> $ mcr sysgen
    >> SYSGEN> use current
    >> SYSGEN> set mystic_vision true
    >> SYSGEN> write current
    >> SYSGEN> ^Z

    > Isn't this a dynamic parameter? (I'd check for the "D" but I'm on my
    > PC at the moment.) If so, change "current" to "active" and avoid the
    > reboot. :-) :-)

    No, it's not dynamic. When would the system manager know to turn it
    off? And why?

    8-) 8-)