OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX) - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX) - VMS ; Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal with AIX. What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right now, ...

  1. OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal
    with AIX.

    What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.

    When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    implementaion).

    The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    us.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    D.J.D.

  2. RE: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    How about a clustered file system?

    Sorry, could not resist.

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  3. Re: OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal
    > with AIX.
    >
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > D.J.D.

    create a user that exist on all hosts, set up rsa/dsa keys (in the
    $HOME/.ssh directory) copy all of the public keys to a file called
    $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys (specified in the sshd config file)

    then

    scp $file $host:$PATH

    Secure and does not require passwords if you have set every thing up
    properly.

  4. Re: OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    Michael Austin wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal
    > > with AIX.
    > >
    > > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    > >
    > > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > > implementaion).
    > >
    > > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > > us.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > >
    > > D.J.D.

    > create a user that exist on all hosts, set up rsa/dsa keys (in the
    > $HOME/.ssh directory) copy all of the public keys to a file called
    > $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys (specified in the sshd config file)
    >
    > then
    >
    > scp $file $host:$PATH
    >
    > Secure and does not require passwords if you have set every thing up
    > properly.

    Well, that would be at the heart of it. I'd still need the automation
    around it to approximate the functionality we have with SET ENVIRONMENT
    in SYSMAN.

    D.J.D.

  5. Re: OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    On Aug 14, 8:03*pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal
    > with AIX.
    >
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > D.J.D.

    Hi David! You might want to try rdist over ssh. Here is some
    information on rdist:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...mds4/rdist.htm

    Back in the PSSP days you would have used supper for the same
    purpose. Anyway, hope this helps!

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  6. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    On Aug 16, 11:47*am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:
> [...]

    AIX supports clustered filesystems with GPFS. : )

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  7. Re: OT: Central Repository - File Distribution Question (AIX)

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Apologies for the OT post. I know some of my fellow VMSers also deal
    > with AIX.
    >
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    You can use mercurial which is a distributed repository and run on many
    platforms including VMS.

    JFP

+ Reply to Thread