Help needed with / confused by AST routine (VAX,COBOL) - VMS

This is a discussion on Help needed with / confused by AST routine (VAX,COBOL) - VMS ; On Aug 16, 12:51*am, Jeff Campbell wrote: > EVALUATE TRUE *will check the state of the variable the 88 condition > values are defined against. It's a shorthand way of saying: Or any other conditional expression ... evaluate true when ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Help needed with / confused by AST routine (VAX,COBOL)

    On Aug 16, 12:51*am, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > EVALUATE TRUE *will check the state of the variable the 88 condition
    > values are defined against. It's a shorthand way of saying:

    Or any other conditional expression ...

    evaluate true
    when (myvariable = something)
    perform one-routine

    when (anythingelse = somethingelse)
    perform two-routine

    when (yetanotherconditional)
    perform three-routine

    when other
    perform catch-all
    end-evaluate.

    It will evaluate each conditional expression in the WHEN clauses until
    it finds one that is TRUE.

  2. Re: Help needed with / confused by AST routine (VAX,COBOL)

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 04:39:55 -0700, FrankS wrote:

    > On Aug 16, 12:51*am, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >> EVALUATE TRUE *will check the state of the variable the 88 condition
    >> values are defined against. It's a shorthand way of saying:

    > Or any other conditional expression ...
    >
    > evaluate true
    > when (myvariable = something)
    > perform one-routine
    >
    > when (anythingelse = somethingelse)
    > perform two-routine
    >
    > when (yetanotherconditional)
    > perform three-routine
    >
    > when other
    > perform catch-all
    > end-evaluate.
    >
    > It will evaluate each conditional expression in the WHEN clauses until
    > it finds one that is TRUE.

    It is basically a copy of a subset of the PL/I SELECT statement.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread