DSPP & OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on DSPP & OpenVMS - VMS ; Save for the yearly nuisance renewals of OpenVMS PAKs and the occasional unreadable email, what benefits do DSPP provide to the OpenVMS community? -- VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM .... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled ...

  1. DSPP & OpenVMS

    Save for the yearly nuisance renewals of OpenVMS PAKs and the occasional
    unreadable email, what benefits do DSPP provide to the OpenVMS community?

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  2. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    In article <00A7E17B.48A1842E@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >Save for the yearly nuisance renewals of OpenVMS PAKs and the occasional
    >unreadable email, what benefits do DSPP provide to the OpenVMS community?

    Off the top of my head:

    Significant discounts on hardware (which must be dedicated to development, not
    production, for some period of time).

    Downloadable binaries.

    Access to employee pricing on HP consumer products.

    -- Alan

  3. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    In article <00A7E1AD.491C93B4@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing) writes:
    >In article <00A7E17B.48A1842E@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>Save for the yearly nuisance renewals of OpenVMS PAKs and the occasional
    >>unreadable email, what benefits do DSPP provide to the OpenVMS community?

    >Off the top of my head:
    >
    >Significant discounts on hardware (which must be dedicated to development, not
    >production, for some period of time).
    >
    >Downloadable binaries.

    My c.o.v. posting got me the answer I was seeking.

    Seems I always need to go this route to get a response.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  4. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM, wrote:

    > In article <00A7E1AD.491C93B4@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
    > winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing)
    > writes:
    > >In article <00A7E17B.48A1842E@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-

    > @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > >>Save for the yearly nuisance renewals of OpenVMS PAKs and the occasional
    > >>unreadable email, what benefits do DSPP provide to the OpenVMS community?

    > >Off the top of my head:
    > >
    > >Significant discounts on hardware (which must be dedicated to development,

    > not
    > >production, for some period of time).
    > >
    > >Downloadable binaries.

    > My c.o.v. posting got me the answer I was seeking.
    >
    > Seems I always need to go this route to get a response.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional
    > protection
    > no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be.
    > (NJSC)
    >
    > Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. Publication of _this_ usenet article
    > outside
    > of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this
    > copyright
    > notice, disclaimer and quotations.

    Perhaps you just don't know the right people at HP to ask.

    WWWebb

  5. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    In article <8660a3a10808142123y6bd344c5ydde2f7ec6225f37@mail.g mail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >Perhaps you just don't know the right people at HP to ask.

    For technical questions, I ask engineering. As for the rest of HP, since
    they took over I have felt isolated. I have no adea where to turn to and
    I've posted more than a few episodes of my dealings with HP here. Remem-
    ber me trying to get the rack mount kit for my Itanium? ... which Proliant
    model is that Itanium server??? I used to get source listings too. I'd
    faxed (what a crazy mechanism that is) off my CC info to the point of con-
    tact about 2 or 3 years ago. I never received any source listings update
    nor have I been contacted SINCE to renew the update! Where does one go?

    I was trying to get V8.3-1H1 for testing purposes. Several email off to
    the DSPP folks went unanswered. I did finally get a response yesterday.
    Apparently, as a DSPP, I can order media from the DSPP site. Thankfully,
    the email guided me through the site to where I'd order it. I would never
    have found it otherwise.

    The problem, as I see it, is that HP wants only to deal with the million
    dollar corps and not the million cent ISVs.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    In article <00A7E234.2282A65E@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > The problem, as I see it, is that HP wants only to deal with the million
    > dollar corps and not the million cent ISVs.

    That is very true. It seems that even though HP told me that they wanted to
    deal with me directly even when just buying one Alpha or IA64, the reality
    is very different.

    I'm currently trying to get configuration, pricing and licensing information
    out of HP UK for a IA64 or Alpha server after been pointed to the HP UK team
    from elsewhere within HP.

    Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales people within
    HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales team, they still
    can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even though it's been
    promised several times now. :-(

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  7. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Simon Clubley
    wrote:
    > In article <00A7E234.2282A65E@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >> The problem, as I see it, is that HP wants only to deal with the million
    >> dollar corps and not the million cent ISVs.
    >>

    > That is very true. It seems that even though HP told me that they wanted to
    > deal with me directly even when just buying one Alpha or IA64, the reality
    > is very different.
    >
    > I'm currently trying to get configuration, pricing and licensing information
    > out of HP UK for a IA64 or Alpha server after been pointed to the HP UK team
    > from elsewhere within HP.

    Have you looked at the HP Product Bulletin at
    .

    It's a downloadable PC application that includes Quickspecs and
    prices. I don't know if it works in the UK.

    Ken

  8. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Aug 15, 3:44*pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    (Simon Clubley) wrote:
    > In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, * VAXman- *@SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >

    > Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales people within
    > HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales team, they still
    > can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even though it's been
    > promised several times now. :-(

    As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within Dec/
    Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:

    1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    2. Contact same
    3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    iterations.

    Mike
    http://alpha.mike-r.com

    > Simon.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    > Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  9. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    Mike R wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 3:44 pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    > (Simon Clubley) wrote:
    >> In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>

    >> Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales people within
    >> HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales team, they still
    >> can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even though it's been
    >> promised several times now. :-(
    >>

    > As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within Dec/
    > Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:
    >
    > 1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    > 2. Contact same
    > 3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    > iterations.

    Remember when you could just ask to speak with the "Manager on Duty"??
    Those were the "good old days"!

  10. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    In article <7dd80f60808150605s20d1e47ei1f56b18f14405c9a@mail.g mail.com>, "Ken Robinson" writes:

    > Have you looked at the HP Product Bulletin at
    > .
    >
    > It's a downloadable PC application that includes Quickspecs and
    > prices. I don't know if it works in the UK.

    Now that link is interesting; I didn't know about that application.

    I'll give it a go next week.

    Thanks,

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  11. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    Mike R wrote:

    > As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within Dec/
    > Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:
    >
    > 1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    > 2. Contact same
    > 3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    > iterations.

    Isn't it simpler to just contact Sue and give her the info and let it
    flow from the top to the bottom instead of the other way around ?

  12. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote:

    > Mike R wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 15, 3:44 pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    >> (Simon Clubley) wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
    >>> @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>>

    >>> Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales people
    >>> within
    >>> HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales team, they still
    >>> can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even though it's been
    >>> promised several times now. :-(
    >>>

    >> As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within Dec/
    >> Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:
    >>
    >> 1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    >> 2. Contact same
    >> 3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    >> iterations.
    >>

    > Remember when you could just ask to speak with the "Manager on Duty"??
    > Those were the "good old days"!

    You still can, if you have the right level of support.

    I did it recently for the second time in almost twenty years.

    WWWebb

  13. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    William Webb wrote:

    > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Richard B. Gilbert
    > > wrote:
    >
    > Mike R wrote:
    >
    > On Aug 15, 3:44 pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    > (Simon Clubley) wrote:
    >
    > In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
    > @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >

    > Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales
    > people within
    > HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales
    > team, they still
    > can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even
    > though it's been
    > promised several times now. :-(
    >

    > As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within
    > Dec/
    > Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:
    >
    > 1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    > 2. Contact same
    > 3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    > iterations.
    >

    > Remember when you could just ask to speak with the "Manager on Duty"??
    > Those were the "good old days"!
    >

    > You still can, if you have the right level of support.

    The last time I tried, the person I was talking to hadn't a clue what I
    was talking about. H-P person rather than DEC/Compaq person. I
    eventually got through to someone who knew what I was talking about and
    was able to kick the right butts to get my problem solved.

  14. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > William Webb wrote:
    >

    >> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Richard B. Gilbert <
    >> rgilbert88@comcast.net > wrote:
    >>
    >> Mike R wrote:
    >>
    >> On Aug 15, 3:44 pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    >> (Simon Clubley) wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
    >> @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>

    >> Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales
    >> people within
    >> HP have had the hard work done from them by the presales
    >> team, they still
    >> can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even
    >> though it's been
    >> promised several times now. :-(
    >>

    >> As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within
    >> Dec/
    >> Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:
    >>
    >> 1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    >> 2. Contact same
    >> 3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    >> iterations.
    >>

    >> Remember when you could just ask to speak with the "Manager on Duty"??
    >> Those were the "good old days"!
    >>

    >> You still can, if you have the right level of support.
    >>

    > The last time I tried, the person I was talking to hadn't a clue what I was
    > talking about. H-P person rather than DEC/Compaq person. I eventually got
    > through to someone who knew what I was talking about and was able to kick
    > the right butts to get my problem solved.

    Another of the magic words is "escalate". Even if the person you're
    speaking with has no familiarity with the MOD concept, if you keep repeating
    "escalate", eventually you'll get where you need to be.

    WWwebb

  15. Re: DSPP & OpenVMS

    On Aug 16, 4:17*pm, "William Webb" wrote:
    > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote:
    >

    > > William Webb wrote:

    > >> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Richard B. Gilbert <
    > >> rgilber...@comcast.net > wrote:

    > >> * *Mike R wrote:

    > >> * * * *On Aug 15, 3:44 pm, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
    > >> * * * *(Simon Clubley) wrote:

    > >> * * * * * *In article <00A7E234.2282A...@SendSpamHere.ORG>, * VAXman-
    > >> * * * * * * @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > >> * * * *

    > >> * * * * * *Technical presales were excellent, but even though the sales
    > >> * * * * * *people within
    > >> * * * * * *HP have had the hard work done from them by thepresales
    > >> * * * * * *team, they still
    > >> * * * * * *can't be bothered to put together a quote for me, even
    > >> * * * * * *though it's been
    > >> * * * * * *promised several times now. :-(

    > >> * * * *As a longtime DEC (ex-)customer, and with some experience within
    > >> * * * *Dec/
    > >> * * * *Compaq/HP allow me to recommend:

    > >> * * * *1. Find the non-responsive person's manager
    > >> * * * *2. Contact same
    > >> * * * *3. If results are unsatisfactory, goto 1. Give up only after 3-4
    > >> * * * *iterations.

    > >> * *Remember when you could just ask to speak with the "Manager on Duty"??
    > >> * *Those were the "good old days"!

    > >> You still can, if you have the right level of support.

    > > The last time I tried, the person I was talking to hadn't a clue what Iwas
    > > talking about. *H-P person rather than DEC/Compaq person. *I eventually got
    > > through to someone who knew what I was talking about and was able to kick
    > > the right butts to get my problem solved.

    > Another of the magic words is "escalate". *Even if the person you're
    > speaking with has no familiarity with the MOD concept, if you keep repeating
    > "escalate", eventually you'll get where you need to be.
    >
    > WWwebb

    Note: In HP terminology the meanings of "escalate" and "elevate" are
    the reverse of what they used to be in DEC. So if "escalate" does not
    work for you, try "elevate"

    HP Glossary:
    escalate - move to a higher managerial level - great if youve got
    LOTS of time
    elevate - move to a more qualified technical level

    Mike
    http://alpha.mike-r.com

+ Reply to Thread