problem to backup and delete files - VMS

This is a discussion on problem to backup and delete files - VMS ; Dear Sir, I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive. Secondly, When ...

  1. problem to backup and delete files

    Dear Sir,

    I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.

    Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    error messages are as below.

    %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....

    I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me to solve the
    above mentioned problems. Thank You.

  2. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    In article <99bc26e2-f723-4965-ad87-9a22d8b79455@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, chewep@gmail.com writes:
    >Dear Sir,
    >
    >I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    >was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    >MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.

    If MKA400 was the name assigned to the old tapedrive make sure that the
    replacement refurbished tape drive has its unit number set to 4.

    >Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    >me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    >error messages are as below.
    >
    >%DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    >-RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    >-SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....

    If you are deleting a directory tree with something like

    DEL USER:[username...]*.*;*

    then you will get this error message because VMS will not delete directories
    which aren't empty - however the command will have deleted files in those
    directories. If you rerun the command multiple times it will then delete the
    directories (The number of times you need to rerun it depends upon how many
    levels of directories contained within directories you have).

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me to solve the
    >above mentioned problems. Thank You.

  3. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:39 AM, wrote:
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    > was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    > MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.

    Did you reboot your system after changing the tape drive?

    > Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    > me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    > error messages are as below.
    >
    > %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    > -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    > -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....

    VMS will, normally, not delete a directory that is not empty.

    To solve the above, make sure that the directory is empty before
    trying to delete the directory file itself.

    Please give us more details -- what version of VMS are you running?

    Ken

  4. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    chewep@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    > was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    > MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.
    >
    > Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    > me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    > error messages are as below.
    >
    > %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    > -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    > -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....
    >

    > I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me to solve the
    > above mentioned problems. Thank You.

    I'm assuming that the refurb'd tape drive allows you to set the SCSI ID.
    The refurb tape drive is probably not set to SCSI ID 4. Try to ask
    the seller how to set the SCSI ID, or post more details, including tape
    drive model number, and someone here might be able to help.

    For the second problem, you need to keep repeating the DELETE command,
    to delete the directory files that are emptied by the "previous" delete
    command. Delete does not delete directories "automatically".

    You seem to be new to the "game". Check out FAQ's and training
    resources for inexperienced folks. Searching the archives of this
    newsgroup will bring many helpful pointers. Google Groups maintains an
    extensive archive.

  5. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    wrote in message
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    > was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    > MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.
    >
    > Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    > me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    > error messages are as below.
    >
    > %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    > -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    > -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....
    >
    > I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me to solve the
    > above mentioned problems. Thank You.

    As far as the second one is concerned, it is what VMS is telling you. You
    can't delete a directory file if the directory isn't empty. You need to
    delete the files within the directory first, then you can delete the
    directory.
    --
    David Biddulph

  6. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    chewep@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    > -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    > -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....
    >

    > I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me...

    VMS can help you :

    $ help /message DIRNOTEMPTY

    DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty

    Facility: SYSTEM, System Services

    Explanation: The directory you attempted to delete cannot be
    deleted because it contains files.

    User Action: Be certain that you want to delete the directory.
    Then, delete all the files in the directory first.
    If the directory is corrupt, use the DCL command
    SET FILE/NODIRECTORY to remove its status as a
    directory.

  7. Re: problem to backup and delete files

    chewep@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I just got a refurbished Tape drive to replace a broken one. When I
    > was doing backup for OpenVMS. The system prompted me something like
    > MKA400 not ready or not mounted. MKA400 is the Tape drive.
    >
    > Secondly, When I wanted to delete archived files. The system prompted
    > me some errors, none of the files were deleted on the system. The
    > error messages are as below.
    >
    > %DELETE-W-FILNOTDELETE , error deleting USER:[.....]
    > -RMS-E-MKD, ACP could not mark file for deletion ....
    > -SYSYEM-F-DIRNOTEMPTY, directory file is not empty ....
    >
    > I would very much appreciated if someone can instruct me to solve the
    > above mentioned problems. Thank You.

    As others have mentioned, you need to empty the directories first before
    you can delete them.

    This command will delete all the files in the tree without complaining
    about non-empty directories:

    $ DELETE [...]*.*;*/EXCLUDE=*.DIR

    Then, you can try deleting the directories. Since it always starts from
    the top of the tree, you really can't avoid the DIRNOTEMPTY errors
    without doing some scripting.

    I can post my DELTREE.COM file, if you want it, or Google this group for
    DELTREE to find multiple options.

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread