What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS

This is a discussion on What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS ; Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000 FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white letters
    on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that I
    got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far if
    that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    this cheap?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    On Aug 13, 4:15*pm, "***** charles" wrote:
    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. *I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. *I have fired it up, white letters
    > on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. *I know a bit about alot
    > of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. *The guy that I
    > got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that farif
    > that is true. *Any other ideas? *I understand that this machine will go to
    > 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). *Anyone know where I could get some of
    > this cheap?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Have a look at
    http://montagar.com/~patj/vbegin.htm

    Mike
    http://alpha.mike-r.com

  3. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "Mike R" wrote in message
    On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, "***** charles" wrote:
    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    > letters
    > on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    > of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that
    > got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far
    > if
    > that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    > 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    > this cheap?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Have a look at
    http://montagar.com/~patj/vbegin.htm

    Mike
    http://alpha.mike-r.com

    Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better I
    could give it a whirl.

    thanks,
    charles....

  4. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    ***** charles wrote:

    > Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better...

    Define "better" !

    Jan-Erik.

  5. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    In article , "***** charles" writes:
    >"Mike R" wrote in message
    >On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, "***** charles" wrote:
    >> Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    >> FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    >> don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    >> letters
    >> on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    >> of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that
    >> got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far
    >> if
    >> that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    >> 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    >> this cheap?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....

    >Have a look at
    >http://montagar.com/~patj/vbegin.htm
    >
    >Mike
    >http://alpha.mike-r.com
    >
    >Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better I
    >could give it a whirl.

    It's not only better; it's the best!

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  6. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    I have some sitting in boxes - 128MB if you want it it's yours if you pay
    shipping

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "***** charles" wrote in message
    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    > letters on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit
    > about a lot of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped.
    > The guy that I got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to
    > get it that far if that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this
    > machine will go to 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I
    > could get some of this cheap?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

  7. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    ***** charles wrote:
    > "Mike R" wrote in message
    > On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, "***** charles" wrote:
    >> Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    >> FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    >> don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    >> letters
    >> on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    >> of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that
    >> got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far
    >> if
    >> that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    >> 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    >> this cheap?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....

    > Have a look at
    > http://montagar.com/~patj/vbegin.htm
    >
    > Mike
    > http://alpha.mike-r.com
    >
    > Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better I
    > could give it a whirl.

    Better or worse is a question that could be, and has been, argued for
    years!!! OpenVMS is VERY different from Unix/Linux. Some of us love
    it. I don't recall that we've converted many Unix/Linux people to VMS!

    The command language (DCL) tends to use English words related to the
    function of the command; e.g. PRINT, TYPE, RUN, DELETE, SET, SHOW,
    ASSIGN, etc, etc. Any command is guaranteed unique at four characters.
    Some commands can be abbreviated to as few as two characters.

    Files specifications are considered baroque by Unix/Linux types; e.g.
    DKA0:[GILBERT.COMMAND_FILES]GET_CONFIG.COM;13 in which DKA0 is the name
    of the (SCSI) disk device [GILBERT.COMMAND_FILES] is the directory
    specification, GET_CONFIG is the file name, and .COM is the file
    extension which tells us that the file is a DCL (Digital Command
    Language) script and the ;13 says it's the 13th version of the file.
    Multiple versions may exist in the same direction; if you don't specify
    a version, you get the most recent one (highest version number).

    Give it a try. The HELP command is your friend. If you like it,
    welcome aboard. If not, please go away quietly!

  8. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white letters
    > on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    > of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that I
    > got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far if
    > that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    > 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    > this cheap?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Some "white box" Alphas are capable of running OpenVMS. The machines
    were marketed to the Windows NT crowd. Since these machines were
    competing with PC NT boxes, they had to be priced below what the
    equivalent Alphas marketed into the OpenVMS and Tru64 UNIX markets were
    priced at. To protect the higher margin products the WB Alphas were
    sold unable to run the "native" 8-) OSes.

    There are 3 Digital Server variants of AlphaServers:

    AS 800 - DS 330x
    AS 1200 - DS 530x
    AS 4100 - DS 730x

    There are 2 "consoles" the machines may be set up to power up into.
    To boot Windows NT the machine must be set to use the Alphabios console.
    To boot OpenVMS the machine must be set to use the SRM console.

    The Alphabios console is a GUI interface PC users are more likely to
    be comfortable with. 8-)

    The SRM console is text based. The SRM prompt is the ">>>" you noted
    above.

    The SRM console user interface is based on a UNIX variant. Things like
    "ps" and "more" are available at the ">>>" prompt. Enter "help" at the
    ">>>" prompt to see the console commands available.

    You can pipe commands together. Enter "show | more" to see the full
    configuration paged.

    There is some information about OpenVMS (and Tru64 UNIX) on WB Alphas
    in this newsgroup. Google is your friend. 8-)

    Jeff

  9. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    ***** charles schreef:
    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white letters
    > on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    > of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that I
    > got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far if
    > that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    > 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    > this cheap?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    A 3000 is the white box equivalent of the Alpha Server 800. It can run
    VMS with a small software modification.
    For details ; http://home.zonnet.nl/hvlems
    Hans

  10. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    H Vlems wrote:

    > [...snip...]
    >
    > A 3000 is the white box equivalent of the Alpha Server 800. It can run
    > VMS with a small software modification.
    > For details ; http://home.zonnet.nl/hvlems
    > Hans

    Hans, that's a very impressive list of systems you have.
    Easily beats my collection ;-)

    Question:

    "The system now runs SETI workpackages in nearly the same time as a
    uniprocessor Digital Server 5305. The 5/533 takes a little more than 8
    hours, the 5/500 8.5 hours. The 5/533 processor has 4 MB cache, which
    the 5/500 does not have and that might explain the difference."

    Are you saying that you still have SETI running on VMS ?
    I was under the impression that since the arrival of BOINC this was
    no longer possible.

  11. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    On 13 aug, 20:32, "***** charles" wrote:
    > "Mike R" wrote in message

    > On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, "***** charles" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > > don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    > > letters
    > > on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit about a lot
    > > of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped. The guy that
    > > got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to get it that far
    > > if
    > > that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that this machine will go to
    > > 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know where I could get some of
    > > this cheap?

    > > thanks,
    > > charles.....

    > Have a look athttp://montagar.com/~patj/vbegin.htm
    >
    > Mikehttp://alpha.mike-r.com
    >
    > Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better I
    > could give it a whirl.
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles....

    Memory must be installed in sets of 4 identical DIMMs.
    With a 1 GB memory limit, the system accepts 128 MB DIMMs at most. The
    other alternative are 16 or 64 MB DIMMs.

  12. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    On 14 aug, 09:48, "R.A.Omond" wrote:
    > H Vlems wrote:
    >
    > > [...snip...]

    > > A 3000 is the white box equivalent of the Alpha Server 800. It can run
    > > VMS with a small software modification.
    > > For details ;http://home.zonnet.nl/hvlems
    > > Hans

    > Hans, that's a very impressive list of systems you have.
    > Easily beats my collection ;-)
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > "The system now runs SETI workpackages in nearly the same time as a
    > uniprocessor Digital Server 5305. The 5/533 takes a little more than 8
    > hours, the 5/500 8.5 hours. The 5/533 processor has 4 MB cache, which
    > the 5/500 does not have and that might explain the difference."
    >
    > Are you saying that you still have SETI running on VMS ?
    > I was under the impression that since the arrival of BOINC this was
    > no longer possible.

    Roy, that part of the webpage is outdated, there's no support for
    classic SETI anymore.
    I tried to get BOINC for VMS but couldn't find it and did not have the
    time to start fooling around with the code.
    The AS1200's were not as fast as the latest Intel processors, but my
    AS1200 and DS3000 kept me in the top 10 of my "day group" (users that
    started SETI on the same day). For a while because running two Alpha
    24x7 is an expensive hobby :-(

    The collection seems to grow all by itself... Spare parts are my main
    concern so I'm inclined to accept gifts. Given the build quality of
    VAX and Alpha systems those spare parts usually boot and work well. I
    own one AS1000A that stopped working at my place.

  13. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "Jan-Erik Söderholm" wrote in message
    > ***** charles wrote:
    >
    >> Was thinking of running Debian but if OpenVMS is better...

    > Define "better" !

    When the OS supports the hardware with more drivers, better drivers.
    I have fooled around with sparc and power and I have found that the
    Linux side doesn't work with the hardware nearly as well as the unixes
    that come from the hardware manufacturers themselves. So in this case
    Solaris and AIX run better and work better with sparc and power
    systems.

    later,
    charles.....

  14. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    > If you like it, welcome aboard. If not, please go away quietly!

    I am not a computer hardware, software or whatever
    bigot. I use whetever works best for the problem
    domain. I suspect there are VMS bigots too. It seems
    at the moment if I can get OpenVMS to install that
    would be the "best": choice.

    later,
    charles.....

  15. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    > Memory must be installed in sets of 4 identical DIMMs.
    > With a 1 GB memory limit, the system accepts 128 MB DIMMs at most. The
    > other alternative are 16 or 64 MB DIMMs.

    I would like to put 1G of ram in it but the opportunity cost seems
    aughfully high. "They" want $35 - $50 for a 32M stick so the
    128M sticks must be atrociaous. Any idea where I can get them
    cheap? Plus I would like 8 of them.

    thanks,
    charles.....

  16. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "David" wrote in message
    news:wgGok.10470$vX2.9219@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    >I have some sitting in boxes - 128MB if you want it it's yours if you pay
    >shipping

    What a guy, how much would shipping be for 8 to 76059 insured?

    thanks,
    charles....

  17. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "Jeff Campbell" wrote in message
    > ***** charles wrote:
    >> Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    >> FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    >> don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    >> letters on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit
    >> about a lot of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped.
    >> The guy that I got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to
    >> get it that far if that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that
    >> this machine will go to 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know
    >> where I could get some of this cheap?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....
    >>

    > Some "white box" Alphas are capable of running OpenVMS. The machines
    > were marketed to the Windows NT crowd. Since these machines were
    > competing with PC NT boxes, they had to be priced below what the
    > equivalent Alphas marketed into the OpenVMS and Tru64 UNIX markets were
    > priced at. To protect the higher margin products the WB Alphas were
    > sold unable to run the "native" 8-) OSes.
    >
    > There are 3 Digital Server variants of AlphaServers:
    >
    > AS 800 - DS 330x
    > AS 1200 - DS 530x
    > AS 4100 - DS 730x
    >
    > There are 2 "consoles" the machines may be set up to power up into.
    > To boot Windows NT the machine must be set to use the Alphabios console.
    > To boot OpenVMS the machine must be set to use the SRM console.
    >
    > The Alphabios console is a GUI interface PC users are more likely to
    > be comfortable with. 8-)

    I like the command line, more powerfull.

    > The SRM console is text based. The SRM prompt is the ">>>" you noted
    > above.
    >
    > The SRM console user interface is based on a UNIX variant. Things like
    > "ps" and "more" are available at the ">>>" prompt. Enter "help" at the
    > ">>>" prompt to see the console commands available.
    >
    > You can pipe commands together. Enter "show | more" to see the full
    > configuration paged.
    >
    > There is some information about OpenVMS (and Tru64 UNIX) on WB Alphas
    > in this newsgroup. Google is your friend. 8-)
    >
    > Jeff

    Putting OpenVMS on this thing is probably what I will try.

    later,
    charles.....

  18. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "David" wrote in message
    news:wgGok.10470$vX2.9219@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    >I have some sitting in boxes - 128MB if you want it it's yours if you pay
    >shipping

    I think I missunderstood you. You said 128M total (4x32) and I thought you
    ment 8x128M=1G. please clarify, if they are the 32Meggers I only can handle
    4 more.

    thanks,
    charles.....

  19. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, "***** charles" wrote:

    > Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    > FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    > don't know how big the hard drive is yet.

    also try comp.sys.dec

  20. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    > Better or worse is a question that could be, and has been, argued for
    > years!!! OpenVMS is VERY different from Unix/Linux. Some of us love
    > it. I don't recall that we've converted many Unix/Linux people to VMS!

    I do. But I also recall many who haven't "seen the light".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast