What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS

This is a discussion on What to do now with a DEC Server 3000? - VMS ; In article , "R.A.Omond" writes: > Are you saying that you still have SETI running on VMS ? > I was under the impression that since the arrival of BOINC this was > no longer possible. You can still run ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    In article <48a3e355$0$90274$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, "R.A.Omond" writes:

    > Are you saying that you still have SETI running on VMS ?
    > I was under the impression that since the arrival of BOINC this was
    > no longer possible.

    You can still run SETI, but since the arrival of BIONC no one may
    be looking at the results.

  2. Re: What to do now with a DEC Server 3000?

    "Jeff Campbell" schreef in bericht
    > ***** charles wrote:
    >> Hi, this seems to be the right group. I came across a DEC Server 3000
    >> FR-K7F4W-AB with a 500MHz alpha chip and one stick of 128M of ram and I
    >> don't know how big the hard drive is yet. I have fired it up, white
    >> letters on a blue background and the final prompt is >>>. I know a bit
    >> about a lot of architectures but this is my first alpha so I am stumped.
    >> The guy that I got it from said it would run VMS but I don't know how to
    >> get it that far if that is true. Any other ideas? I understand that
    >> this machine will go to 1G of ram (2 sitcks of 512M each). Anyone know
    >> where I could get some of this cheap?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....
    >>

    > Some "white box" Alphas are capable of running OpenVMS. The machines
    > were marketed to the Windows NT crowd. Since these machines were
    > competing with PC NT boxes, they had to be priced below what the
    > equivalent Alphas marketed into the OpenVMS and Tru64 UNIX markets were
    > priced at. To protect the higher margin products the WB Alphas were
    > sold unable to run the "native" 8-) OSes.
    >
    > There are 3 Digital Server variants of AlphaServers:
    >
    > AS 800 - DS 330x
    > AS 1200 - DS 530x
    > AS 4100 - DS 730x

    IMO the term "white box alpha's" refers to these models, and these only.
    There are certainly other Alpha based systems that are challenged to run VMS
    or Tru64, e.g. the Multia. However, each Digital Server in this list was
    derived from the corresponding Alpha Server. They all share the same
    problems as a VMS platform:
    1) the console interface is set to ARC, not SRM
    2) two SRM console variables have no proper preset values by default
    3) certain peripherals are not supported by VMS; e.g. the 5305 comes with a
    SCSI controller that is not recognized by VMS.
    4) the manufacturer only supports and services Digital Server models when
    they run Windows NT

    These problems are all fairly easily to solve. Changing the console
    interface as well as a fix for the srm parameters are well documented and
    these solutions are quickly found on the internet. The fix works on the 3300
    and 5305 (personel experiance) while a German hobbyist tried the same
    procedure on a 7305 with good results. (I tried to get a 7305 but failed.
    There was no system near enough unfortunately. OTOH the power bill would be
    a challemge too

    A supported video adapter is not essential because the serial interface
    connects well to a pc and the graphics user interface of VMS or Tru64 may be
    used by installing unix services for Windows, a free download available from
    Microsoft.

    The SCSI adapter is a bit more difficult on the 5305 and 7305 because they
    (rather often) have a split BA cabinet built in so one needs a dual channel
    adapter or two boards. The KZPCM is ideal but until recently rather
    expensive.
    The 3300 has onboard SCSI with support for both SCA and SCSI-2 disks, no
    problem there though the disktrays that are particular for the 3000 are
    getting rare, even on eBay.

    Why bother with these systems? Well, the 5305 fitted with two 5/533 cpu's is
    still an impressive system for a hobbyist with interest in VMS (or one of
    the linux or *bsd derivatives). The 5305 is a *lot* chepaer than an AS1200
    because NT4 is not exactly modern anymore so commercial use for the white
    box alpha's is nill. Thus, easy to come by for a hobbyist who wants to run
    VMS or Tru64 on something faster than a Multia :-)

    Hans

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2