Memory Usage - VMS

This is a discussion on Memory Usage - VMS ; What is the best way to find out memory usage on an OpenVMS machine? I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a works worth of data. What command would I use ...

  1. Memory Usage

    What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    OpenVMS machine?

    I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    works worth of data. What command would I use in
    that case?

    Thanks,
    Jim O'Shea
    Chicago, IL

  2. Re: Memory Usage

    On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM, James J. O'Shea
    wrote:

    > What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    > OpenVMS machine?
    >
    > I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    > wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    > works worth of data. What command would I use in
    > that case?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim O'Shea
    > Chicago, IL

    There's a free product from HP called T4. And if you ask for it, there's a
    memory monitoring and collection bit that they'll send you (Thanks for
    writing it, Bart!)

    WWWebb

  3. Re: Memory Usage

    On Aug 11, 2:52 pm, "James J. O'Shea"
    wrote:
    > What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    > OpenVMS machine?
    >
    > I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    > wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    > works worth of data. What command would I use in
    > that case?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim O'Shea
    > Chicago, IL

    Jim,

    I would also recommend using the T4 package. The CPU related portions
    of the data recorded are recorded using MONITOR/RECORD. However, it is
    easier to capture the entire suite of data using the pre-packaged T4
    command procedures, and then analyze it with the tools, than it is to
    piece it together yourself.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  4. Re: Memory Usage

    In article <879084.47854.qm@web83904.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>, "James J. O'Shea" writes:
    > What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    > OpenVMS machine?
    >
    > I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    > wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    > works worth of data. What command would I use in
    > that case?

    monitor memory/record/interval=you-pick-it/ending=you-pick-it

    I do the similar to the above either as a 24 hour self-resubmiting batch job,
    with the ending as midnight, or as a detached process started during system
    boot.

  5. Re: Memory Usage

    James J. O'Shea wrote:
    > What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    > OpenVMS machine?
    >
    > I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    > wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    > works worth of data. What command would I use in
    > that case?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim O'Shea
    > Chicago, IL

    I would also recommend it. If you are having problems, it is very easy
    to modify it to capture < 1minute data (done in short durations due to
    resources) to see problems while they are happening.

    I used to manage over 250+ Alpha servers from DS10's to GS1280's with
    the tool and stored it on a SAN device connected to a DS10L that I used
    as the T4Chart web-based utility to display results from any one of the
    systems. My application managers could use this site to view performance
    on their individual servers and if necessary request the data during a
    performance problem. I could then analyze it to see what exactly was
    happening. All of the systems had that late night, early morning spike
    when backups kicked off... but the tool was very good for day to day and
    problem management of the systems. Trending months of data when
    necessary...

    HTH.

  6. Re: Memory Usage

    James J. O'Shea wrote:
    > What is the best way to find out memory usage on an
    > OpenVMS machine?
    >
    > I'm currently using f$getsiy("free_pages") but was
    > wondering if I could use the MONITOR tool to record a
    > works worth of data. What command would I use in
    > that case?

    Jim,

    A VMS system will use just as much or just as little memory as you let
    it based on system parameters and process quotas and the physical resources.

    Whatever you may observe is, because, Virtual Memory System (get the
    hint?) is managing the usage of memory versus the demands.

    The monitoring tools mentioned while yes they do a specific job, are
    only showing you how the system is reacting under the circumstances, so
    you need to understand a little more about all the memory regions and
    how process quotas are determined and put into practice.

    This is WELL outside the scope of a Usenet response!

    If you're unfamiliar with system tuning and so on, if there is no
    performance issue then I would ignore it.

    Cheers, nic.
    --
    nclews at csc dot com aka Mr. CP Charges
    "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour

+ Reply to Thread