Who chopped my lines! - VMS

This is a discussion on Who chopped my lines! - VMS ; To Mr Helbig, I suggest you get the exact filename containing a specific email message and use TPU to edit the file to look at it and move the window to the right. This will tell you whether the contents ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Who chopped my lines!

    To Mr Helbig, I suggest you get the exact filename containing a specific
    email message and use TPU to edit the file to look at it and move the
    window to the right.

    This will tell you whether the contents of the email is intact or has
    had the line ends chopped off.

    If the message content is intact, then you know that it gets truncated
    by the VMSmail client, and that the SMTP transport and the sender are OK.

    If the message is truncated then you have to investigate a bit further.

    It is possible that the SMTP receiver might chop lines at 1000 bytes
    when receiving messages. (consider if its buffer is 1000 bytes long, it
    woudl supply a descriptor with 1000 bytes to write and the rest might be
    discarded).

    There are tracing logicals you can enable to see the exact dialogue that
    goes on when receiving and processing emails.

    if you don't know them, you can look at http://www.vaxination.ca/vms
    there is a TCPIP$SMTP template file that documents various logicals,
    including the tracing ones for both the symbiont and the receiver.

  2. Re: Who chopped my lines!

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    > Actually, I suppose the sender is more likely.

    No, the problem is on the receiver side.

    I see the same problem with variable length log files mailed from a Linux
    system. When the length of a record is over 255 bytes, the line is split
    into multiple records within the .MAI file.

    For example, the following two records are one line on the Linux system:
    (I've deleted the record contents for security reasons.)

    Record number 31 (0000001F), 255 (00FF) bytes, RFA(0006,0000,0100)

    [contents deleted]

    Record number 32 (00000020), 74 (004A) bytes, RFA(0007,0000,0002)

    [contents deleted]

    A test seems to show that same node VMS-to-VMS mail is ok. I created a
    single record 500 bytes long, which survived been mailed to myself, so it
    appears to be the UCX SMTP receiver. (Which, based on my experiences with
    that code, is not exactly a major surprise.)

    > How do newer versions of TCPIP do?

    I'll know that in a few weeks - I have an upgrade cycle planned. :-)

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  3. Re: Who chopped my lines!

    In article <489f4424$0$5410$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    writes:

    > VMSmail, character cell, will only output the first 256 characters of a
    > line. They will wrap around a few lines. The rest of a line is in the
    > mail file but not displayed.

    OK, but should be in the file if I EXTRACT it.

    > VMSmail will truncate lines greater than 256 characters when transported
    > via DECnet.

    No DECnet involved.

  4. Re: Who chopped my lines!

    In article <489fb8cc$0$1827$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    writes:

    > To Mr Helbig, I suggest you get the exact filename containing a specific
    > email message and use TPU to edit the file to look at it and move the
    > window to the right.

    There is nothing missing. Rather, lines longer than 255 are cut into
    multiple lines, i.e. a newline is inserted, all of which (except perhaps
    the last) are 255 characters long.

    > If the message content is intact, then you know that it gets truncated
    > by the VMSmail client, and that the SMTP transport and the sender are OK.

    This doesn't show conclusively whether sender or receiver, though.

  5. Re: Who chopped my lines!

    In article <68z$duuhfZCt@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) writes:

    > No, the problem is on the receiver side.

    > A test seems to show that same node VMS-to-VMS mail is ok. I created a
    > single record 500 bytes long, which survived been mailed to myself, so it
    > appears to be the UCX SMTP receiver. (Which, based on my experiences with
    > that code, is not exactly a major surprise.)

    That's my conclusion as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2