VMSMail problem - VMS

This is a discussion on VMSMail problem - VMS ; I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared from my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. However, when I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster ...

  1. VMSMail problem

    I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared from
    my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. However, when
    I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am informed
    that the mail folder does not exist.

    GUNN> mail

    MAIL> dir
    %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist

    So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    dir DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=mod/size
    MAIL.MAI;1 6210 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23

    which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    likely receiving mail.

    How do I fix this? Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly delete
    messages.

    Tom

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: VMSMail problem

    On Aug 7, 4:21*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared from
    > my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. *However, when
    > I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am informed
    > that the mail folder does not exist.
    >
    > GUNN> mail
    >
    > MAIL> dir
    > %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist
    >
    > So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    > dir *DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=mod/size
    > MAIL.MAI;1 * * * * * * *6210 * 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23
    >
    > which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    > likely receiving mail.
    >
    > How do I fix this? *Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly delete
    > messages.

    Try doing a MAIL> DIR/FOLDER and see what
    it says. VMS Mail has this somewhat nasty habit
    of "removing" empty folders (unless you use the
    DECWindows DECMail application). I wouldn't
    be surprised if either (1) all your messages are
    in the NEWMAIL folder, or (2) your POP client
    deleted all your messages from VMS Mail.

    -Ken

  3. Re: VMSMail problem

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:34:07 -0700, wrote:

    > On Aug 7, 4:21*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared
    >> from
    >> my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. *However,
    >> when
    >> I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am
    >> informed
    >> that the mail folder does not exist.
    >>
    >> GUNN> mail
    >>
    >> MAIL> dir
    >> %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist
    >>
    >> So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    >> dir *DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=mod/size
    >> MAIL.MAI;1 * * * * * * *6210 * 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23
    >>
    >> which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    >> likely receiving mail.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? *Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly
    >> delete
    >> messages.

    > Try doing a MAIL> DIR/FOLDER and see what
    > it says. VMS Mail has this somewhat nasty habit
    > of "removing" empty folders (unless you use the
    > DECWindows DECMail application). I wouldn't
    > be surprised if either (1) all your messages are
    > in the NEWMAIL folder, or (2) your POP client
    > deleted all your messages from VMS Mail.
    >
    > -Ken

    MAIL> dir/folder
    %MAIL-W-FILEMPTY, file DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]MAIL.MAI has no folders

    MAIL> exit
    GUNN> dir DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=mod/size

    Directory DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]

    MAIL$9AA26FE2000500A6.MAI;1
    2604 7-JUL-2007 16:29:21.79
    MAIL.MAI;1 6210 7-AUG-2008 17:06:01.21

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: VMSMail problem

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared fr=
    >om
    >my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. However, w=
    >hen
    >I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am infor=
    >med
    >that the mail folder does not exist.
    >
    >GUNN> mail
    >
    >MAIL> dir
    >%MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist

    Do

    MAIL> DIR/FOLDER

    to see what folders _do_ exist.

    In VMS MAIL, newly delivered messages go into the NEWMAIL folder; that's
    probably where your POP client is pulling them from. If you didn't
    get any incoming mail, you might not have anything in the NEWMAIL folder
    (depending on whether you have the POP thing configured to leave mail on server
    or not.)

    After you've read a message in VMS MAIL, the message is automatically moved
    to the MAIL folder.

    If you never read messages in VMS MAIL and your POP client downloads the
    messages and doesn't leave them on the server, it's perfectly reasonable
    for you not to have either a NEWMAIL or MAIL folder (because in VMS mail,
    folders don't exist if they're empty).

    >So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    >dir DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=3Dmod/size
    >MAIL.MAI;1 6210 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23
    >
    >which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    >likely receiving mail.
    >
    >How do I fix this? Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly delet=
    >messages.

    See

    MAIL> HELP COMPRESS

    (Although you might want to do a MAIL> PURGE/RECLAIM before you do the
    compress, if you've got stuff in your WASTEBASKET folder.)

    -- Alan

    >-- =
    >
    >PL/I for OpenVMS
    >www.kednos.com

  5. Re: VMSMail problem

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 17:33:43 -0700, Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing
    wrote:

    > In article , "Tom Linden"
    > writes:
    >> I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared
    >> fr=
    >> om
    >> my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. However,
    >> w=
    >> hen
    >> I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am
    >> infor=
    >> med
    >> that the mail folder does not exist.
    >>
    >> GUNN> mail
    >>
    >> MAIL> dir
    >> %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist

    > Do
    >
    > MAIL> DIR/FOLDER
    >
    > to see what folders _do_ exist.
    >
    > In VMS MAIL, newly delivered messages go into the NEWMAIL folder; that's
    > probably where your POP client is pulling them from. If you didn't
    > get any incoming mail, you might not have anything in the NEWMAIL folder
    > (depending on whether you have the POP thing configured to leave mail on
    > server
    > or not.)
    >
    > After you've read a message in VMS MAIL, the message is automatically
    > moved
    > to the MAIL folder.
    >
    > If you never read messages in VMS MAIL and your POP client downloads the
    > messages and doesn't leave them on the server, it's perfectly reasonable
    > for you not to have either a NEWMAIL or MAIL folder (because in VMS mail,
    > folders don't exist if they're empty).
    >

    >> So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    >> dir DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=3Dmod/size
    >> MAIL.MAI;1 6210 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23
    >>
    >> which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    >> likely receiving mail.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly
    >> delet=
    >> messages.

    > See
    >
    > MAIL> HELP COMPRESS

    Size was not the issue, that was a secondary problem. I simply cant can't
    get access to
    any folders, despite the fact that they are apparently storing new mail,
    as judge byt the
    fact that the date and size keep increasing

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: VMSMail problem

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > MAIL> dir
    > %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist

    do a MAIL> SHOW ALL

    This will tell you where mail thinks your MAIL.MAI file should be.

    If your mail profile points to the right file, you may wish to ANA/RMS
    your MAIL.MAI

    you can also try:

    PIPE show dev/files/nosys | search sys$input MAIL.MAI

    This should tell you if your mail file is in use by some application
    which may be locking it for some reason.

  7. Re: VMSMail problem

    Have you tried to be a REAL geek and send yourself an email ?

    If you use command line MAIL to send a message to yourself, you might
    see some error message when MAIL tries to deliver to your mailbox.

  8. Re: VMSMail problem

    On 8 Aug, 00:21, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > I stopped receiving mail middle of the night, at least so it appeared from
    > my Outlook POP client, which talks to MX as the smtp server. *However, when
    > I check mail directly from a session logged in to the cluster I am informed
    > that the mail folder does not exist.
    >
    > GUNN> mail
    >
    > MAIL> dir
    > %MAIL-E-NOTEXIST, folder MAIL does not exist
    >
    > So I troddle off to my mail dir and
    > dir *DISK$COMMON:[USER.TOM.MAIL]/date=mod/size
    > MAIL.MAI;1 * * * * * * *6210 * 7-AUG-2008 16:14:49.23
    >
    > which is pretty big and the date keeps changeing indicating that it is
    > likely receiving mail.
    >
    > How do I fix this? *Any idea why the folder is so big, I regularly delete
    > messages.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    If it's anything like IMAP interaction between VMS and Outlook, it's
    almost terminally broken.
    I had no end of problems with a big mail "folder" on VMS and Outlook
    where Outlook would randomly delete all of the mail messages in my
    mail folders.
    Outlook Express, though functionally crippled, is much better. It has
    (yet) to delete all my mail on me.
    That said, it's using a different account on the VMS box with much
    less email in it.

    I fear if Outlook has done what it has done to me before, the answers
    are either restore the mail directory from a backup or find out what
    the lost messages are (if you can) and then forward them to yourself
    via DECnet mail. Outlook and your POP server should be able to ignore
    the DECnet mail headers and just go on the embedded SMTP headers.

    Steve

  9. Re: VMSMail problem

    In article
    <18baafd3-ef10-484a-be9e-de24fc934a75@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com writes:

    > Try doing a MAIL> DIR/FOLDER and see what
    > it says. VMS Mail has this somewhat nasty habit
    > of "removing" empty folders (unless you use the
    > DECWindows DECMail application).

    Yes, with the "normal" interface, if you delete all messages from a
    folder, then that folder is deleted as well. Note that you can use
    FILE/NOCONFIRM folder-name if you don't want to be asked whether to
    create a new folder (e.g. which might be necessary after having deleted
    all its messages).

+ Reply to Thread