Re: SSH - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: SSH - VMS ; From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= > Just setup SSH on my system. VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.6 > > Using "Reflection for UNIX and VMS" > version 14.0 on the client (Win-XP). > > One session is just fine, but when I open a ...

  1. Re: SSH

    From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    > Just setup SSH on my system. VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.6
    >
    > Using "Reflection for UNIX and VMS"
    > version 14.0 on the client (Win-XP).
    >
    > One session is just fine, but when I open a new
    > reflection Windows and try to login, both
    > sessions are logged off.

    What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: SSH

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=
    >

    >> Just setup SSH on my system. VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.6
    >>
    >> Using "Reflection for UNIX and VMS"
    >> version 14.0 on the client (Win-XP).
    >>
    >> One session is just fine, but when I open a new
    >> reflection Windows and try to login, both
    >> sessions are logged off.

    > What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    > VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    > the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    I enabled SSH Client also.

    Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...

    But as sson as as tried to create a second
    Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    says "".

    Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    think also supports SSH.

    Jan-Erik.

  3. Re: SSH

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:03:44 -0700, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:

    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=
    >>

    >>> Just setup SSH on my system. VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.6
    >>>
    >>> Using "Reflection for UNIX and VMS"
    >>> version 14.0 on the client (Win-XP).
    >>>
    >>> One session is just fine, but when I open a new
    >>> reflection Windows and try to login, both
    >>> sessions are logged off.

    >> What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    >> VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    >> the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    >> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    > I enabled SSH Client also.
    >
    > Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    > SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >
    > But as sson as as tried to create a second
    > Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    > says "".
    >
    > Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    > think also supports SSH.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    What does reflection give you that PuTTY doesn't offer, which works
    well for me. Running eXcursion on my laptop allows me tunnel back
    to run, e.g. emacs

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: SSH

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > What does reflection give you that PuTTY doesn't offer, which works
    > well for me. Running eXcursion on my laptop allows me tunnel back
    > to run, e.g. emacs

    Not much. Slightly better VT emulation. Some scripting capabilities.

    But if it is part of the full Reflection package you also gets X.

    Arne

  5. Re: SSH

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:03:44 -0700, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >>> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    >>> What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    >>> VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    >>> the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?
    >>>
    >>> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >>> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >>> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    >> I enabled SSH Client also.
    >>
    >> Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    >> SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >>
    >> But as sson as as tried to create a second
    >> Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    >> says "".
    >>
    >> Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    >> think also supports SSH.
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.

    > What does reflection give you that PuTTY doesn't offer, which works
    > well for me. Running eXcursion on my laptop allows me tunnel back
    > to run, e.g. emacs

    The same look-n-feel as I've had, well must be
    over 20 yrs now.

    The look-n-feel of PuTTY is "freeware"...

    Jan-Erik.

  6. Re: SSH

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=
    >>

    >>> Just setup SSH on my system. VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.6
    >>>
    >>> Using "Reflection for UNIX and VMS"
    >>> version 14.0 on the client (Win-XP).
    >>>
    >>> One session is just fine, but when I open a new
    >>> reflection Windows and try to login, both
    >>> sessions are logged off.

    >> What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    >> VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    >> the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    >> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    > I enabled SSH Client also.
    >
    > Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    > SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >
    > But as sson as as tried to create a second
    > Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    > says "".
    >
    > Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    > think also supports SSH.

    Just tried with PuTTY. *It* can open multiple SSH sessions
    to my 8.2 VMS system. No problem. Reflections still
    terminates the first session when the second is started,
    ends up with both sesions terminated. The PyTTY sessions
    are uneffected and are still connected and logged in.

    The SSH log files still have :

    > Thu 07 23:02:30 ERROR: FATAL ERROR: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > dsa10:[sys0.syscommon.][sysexe]tcpip$ssh_sshd2.exe[38229]:
    > FATAL: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > %TCPIP-F-SSH_FATAL, non-specific fatal error condition

    Well, I'm lost, I guess. I'll try to see if it's
    possible to find some mail address to Attachemate...

    Jan-Erik.

  7. Re: SSH

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:11:26 -0700, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:

    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >>> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    >>> What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    >>> VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    >>> the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    >>> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >>> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >>> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    >> I enabled SSH Client also.
    >> Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    >> SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >> But as sson as as tried to create a second
    >> Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    >> says "".
    >> Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    >> think also supports SSH.

    > Just tried with PuTTY. *It* can open multiple SSH sessions
    > to my 8.2 VMS system. No problem. Reflections still
    > terminates the first session when the second is started,
    > ends up with both sesions terminated. The PyTTY sessions
    > are uneffected and are still connected and logged in.
    >
    > The SSH log files still have :
    >
    > > Thu 07 23:02:30 ERROR: FATAL ERROR: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > > dsa10:[sys0.syscommon.][sysexe]tcpip$ssh_sshd2.exe[38229]:
    > > FATAL: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > > %TCPIP-F-SSH_FATAL, non-specific fatal error condition

    As I said before, PuTTY with eXcursion works fine. What
    additional functionality do you require not provide by this
    combo?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: SSH

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:11:26 -0700, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    >>> I enabled SSH Client also.
    >>> Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    >>> SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >>> But as sson as as tried to create a second
    >>> Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    >>> says "".
    >>> Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    >>> think also supports SSH.

    >> Just tried with PuTTY. *It* can open multiple SSH sessions
    >> to my 8.2 VMS system. No problem. Reflections still
    >> terminates the first session when the second is started,
    >> ends up with both sesions terminated. The PyTTY sessions
    >> are uneffected and are still connected and logged in.
    >>
    >> The SSH log files still have :
    >>
    >> > Thu 07 23:02:30 ERROR: FATAL ERROR: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    >> > dsa10:[sys0.syscommon.][sysexe]tcpip$ssh_sshd2.exe[38229]:
    >> > FATAL: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    >> > %TCPIP-F-SSH_FATAL, non-specific fatal error condition

    > As I said before, PuTTY with eXcursion works fine. What
    > additional functionality do you require not provide by this
    > combo?

    I do not need "X" at all. Never used it and I do not
    see any reason since I mostly support VMS systems
    over long distance, DSL, NAT'er lines. Plain "VT"
    usualy works just fine.

    And Reflection is just "better". No macro-language
    in PuTTY, is there ?

    And I happen to have a new licensed Reflection 14.0
    distribution.

    And it seems as PuTTY are lacking some emulation setup
    options. Can't point at anything particular right now,
    it's more of a "feeling".

    And no "keyboard-window" in PuTTY, nice when using
    full-VT-kayboard-apps from my laptop.

    We'll see what the Attachemate support says next week.

    Jan-Erik.

    >> Well, I'm lost, I guess. I'll try to see if it's
    >> possible to find some mail address to Attachemate...
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.

  9. Re: SSH

    Hi Jan-Erik,

    > I do not need "X" at all. Never used it and I do not
    > see any reason since I mostly support VMS systems
    > over long distance, DSL, NAT'er lines. Plain "VT"
    > usualy works just fine.

    Just FYI, If you'd like to debug your User Action Routines in-situ in your
    Tier3 Execution Servers, while they're running remotely, then it can be
    advantageous to be running some form of X. (See T3$EXAMPLESEMO_UARS.COB
    for more) I personally find the DECWindows-style debugger to be extremely
    useful whe running on a PC!

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. When is FireBug going to be available for FireFox 3 (And why doesn't
    someone tell you it's not available *before* you upgrade :-)

    -

    > >> Just tried with PuTTY. *It* can open multiple SSH sessions
    > >> to my 8.2 VMS system. No problem. Reflections still
    > >> terminates the first session when the second is started,
    > >> ends up with both sesions terminated. The PyTTY sessions
    > >> are uneffected and are still connected and logged in.
    > >>
    > >> The SSH log files still have :

    > > As I said before, PuTTY with eXcursion works fine. What
    > > additional functionality do you require not provide by this
    > > combo?

    > I do not need "X" at all. Never used it and I do not
    > see any reason since I mostly support VMS systems
    > over long distance, DSL, NAT'er lines. Plain "VT"
    > usualy works just fine.
    >
    > And Reflection is just "better". No macro-language
    > in PuTTY, is there ?
    >
    > And I happen to have a new licensed Reflection 14.0
    > distribution.
    >
    > And it seems as PuTTY are lacking some emulation setup
    > options. Can't point at anything particular right now,
    > it's more of a "feeling".
    >
    > And no "keyboard-window" in PuTTY, nice when using
    > full-VT-kayboard-apps from my laptop.
    >
    > We'll see what the Attachemate support says next week.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.
    >

    > >> Well, I'm lost, I guess. I'll try to see if it's
    > >> possible to find some mail address to Attachemate...
    > >>
    > >> Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: SSH

    In article , "Richard Maher" writes:
    >Hi Jan-Erik,
    >
    >> I do not need "X" at all. Never used it and I do not
    >> see any reason since I mostly support VMS systems
    >> over long distance, DSL, NAT'er lines. Plain "VT"
    >> usualy works just fine.

    >Just FYI, If you'd like to debug your User Action Routines in-situ in your
    >Tier3 Execution Servers, while they're running remotely, then it can be
    >advantageous to be running some form of X. (See T3$EXAMPLESEMO_UARS.COB
    >for more) I personally find the DECWindows-style debugger to be extremely
    >useful whe running on a PC!

    A matter of personal preference. I, personally, loathe the DECwindows
    debugger. I prefer the character cell debugger and, of course, DELTA
    and XDELTA. You can do the same debugging you do with the DECwindows
    debugger with proper definition of DBG$INPUT and DBG$OUTPUT.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  11. Re: SSH

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >>> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    >>> What happens if you use some other SSH client (like, say, SSH on the
    >>> VMS system or on some handy UNIX-like system)? Does the fault lie with
    >>> the VMS SSH server or with the Reflection client?

    >>> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    >>> 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    >>> Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    >> I enabled SSH Client also.
    >>
    >> Then made some "SSH localhost" to create new
    >> SSH sessions localy, and *that* worked at least...
    >>
    >> But as sson as as tried to create a second
    >> Relfection session, they all "died". Reflection
    >> says "".
    >>
    >> Tomorrow I'll try with the Putty emulator which I
    >> think also supports SSH.

    > Just tried with PuTTY. *It* can open multiple SSH sessions
    > to my 8.2 VMS system. No problem. Reflections still
    > terminates the first session when the second is started,
    > ends up with both sesions terminated. The PyTTY sessions
    > are uneffected and are still connected and logged in.
    >
    > The SSH log files still have :
    >
    > > Thu 07 23:02:30 ERROR: FATAL ERROR: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > > dsa10:[sys0.syscommon.][sysexe]tcpip$ssh_sshd2.exe[38229]:
    > > FATAL: GETPTY ast_pending:1
    > > %TCPIP-F-SSH_FATAL, non-specific fatal error condition

    > Well, I'm lost, I guess. I'll try to see if it's
    > possible to find some mail address to Attachemate...
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    OK, problem solved.

    Got a mail from the Attachemate support suggesting to
    un-check the "reuse existing connection if available"
    in the SSH config of Reflection. I guess that this has
    something to do with not having to make the SSH login
    a second time for the second (and later) session(s).

    Anyway, un-checking this made the second session
    login just fine.

    I also guess that PuTTY doesn't use (or support ?)
    session re-use at all, since it "worked" with
    PuTTY per default.

    According to Attachemate support, if you're running
    a 100% openSSH implementation, session reuse *usualy*
    works.

    No big deal, one can just as well run with this
    disabled.

    Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread