Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function? - VMS

This is a discussion on Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function? - VMS ; Greetings all, I have been trying my hand at the PHP implementation of Apache on an Alpha with VMS 8.3. I find the documentation on getting things working very lacking. Currently I am having trouble determining what allows and disallows ...

  1. Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    Greetings all,

    I have been trying my hand at the PHP implementation of Apache on an
    Alpha with VMS 8.3. I find the documentation on getting things
    working very lacking.

    Currently I am having trouble determining what allows and disallows
    certain fuctions, with the latest sticking point being the "glob()"
    function.

    When I try to use "glob" in a php script, I get the "Fatal Error: Call
    to undefined function glob()" ...

    I've been searching all around with google and this is usually solved
    by going to PHP 4.3.0 - but the VMS implementation of PHP states that
    it is 4.3.10, so it would seem that it should support this function.

    In the end what I wanted to do was implement the free photo sharing
    software called "Gallery" which is based on mysql and PHP with Apache
    (at least, in my implementation). This function is the latest hurdle
    and I've reproduced the error with a simple call to:

    foreach (glob("*.txt") as $filename) ...

    -- jls

    P.S. I have put a "php_flag safe_mode off" in my php.ini file, just
    fyi.

  2. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    > I have been trying my hand at the PHP implementation of Apache on an
    > Alpha with VMS 8.3. I find the documentation on getting things
    > working very lacking.
    >
    > Currently I am having trouble determining what allows and disallows
    > certain fuctions, with the latest sticking point being the "glob()"
    > function.
    >
    > When I try to use "glob" in a php script, I get the "Fatal Error: Call
    > to undefined function glob()" ...

    Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.

    You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

  3. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:50:52 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    wrote:

    > Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    > didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    > works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    > linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    > there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    > message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    > function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.

    > You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    > come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    > to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    > sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    > can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    > decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    Why can't he add glob to his version of the crtl?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:50:52 -0500, "Craig A. Berry"
    wrote:

    >> I have been trying my hand at the PHP implementation of Apache on an
    >> Alpha with VMS 8.3. I find the documentation on getting things
    >> working very lacking.
    >>
    >> Currently I am having trouble determining what allows and disallows
    >> certain fuctions, with the latest sticking point being the "glob()"
    >> function.
    >>
    >> When I try to use "glob" in a php script, I get the "Fatal Error: Call
    >> to undefined function glob()" ...

    >Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    >didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    >works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    >linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    >there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    >message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    >function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.
    >
    >You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    >come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    >sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    >can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    >decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    3 years old? The PHP 1.3 ECO2 kit is from April 2008.

    I have no experience porting code from other platforms, so if anyone
    else has worked on a VMS/PHP port, it'd be nice to see what they have
    done so far.

  5. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:11:21 -0700, "Tom Linden"
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:50:52 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    >> didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    >> works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    >> linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    >> there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    >> message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    >> function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.

    >> You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    >> come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    >> sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    >> can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    >> decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    >Why can't he add glob to his version of the crtl?

    I'm already running VMS 8.3, which *should* include the glob()
    function.... so it would seem as though the HP implementation of PHP
    may not have that function activated.

    How active are they working on it? The latest ECO is from April
    2008.... is there any chance they'll be working on an update to
    include this?

    Unfortunately, I am just a hobbyist, so don't have a support contract
    to contact them directly.

  6. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    none wrote:

    > "Craig A. Berry" wrote:
    >> You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, [...]

    > 3 years old? The PHP 1.3 ECO2 kit is from April 2008.

    ....and the release notes state that it only corrects various errors.

    The original CSWS_PHP 1.3 kit was published in November 2005.

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  7. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM, none wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:11:21 -0700, "Tom Linden"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:50:52 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    >>> didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    >>> works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    >>> linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    >>> there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    >>> message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    >>> function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.

    >>> You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    >>> come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >>> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    >>> sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    >>> can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    >>> decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    >>Why can't he add glob to his version of the crtl?

    If you look at the on line PHP manual for the glob() function
    you will see a number of replacements for
    the function that people have written (scroll through the user
    comments). I just tried the one called safe_glob and it worked fine on
    my VMS machine. OpenVMS 7.3-2 running the lastest PHP.

    Ken

  8. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    Martin Vorlaender wrote:
    > none wrote:
    >> "Craig A. Berry" wrote:
    >>> You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >>> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, [...]

    >> 3 years old? The PHP 1.3 ECO2 kit is from April 2008.

    > ...and the release notes state that it only corrects various errors.
    >
    > The original CSWS_PHP 1.3 kit was published in November 2005.

    And it is based on PHP 4.3 which was first released in December
    2002.

    And the PHP team will stop developing security patches for PHP 4
    tomorrow (August 8th).

    A PHP 5 port for VMS is long overdue !

    Arne

  9. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    none wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:11:21 -0700, "Tom Linden"
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:50:52 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    >> wrote:
    >>> Most likely the glob() in PHP depends on the glob() in the CRTL, which
    >>> didn't come along until OVMS v8.2. The PHP kit for Alpha states that it
    >>> works on OVMS Alpha v7.3-2 or later, which would typically mean it was
    >>> linked on v7.3-2 or at least against 7.3-2 run-time libraries, where
    >>> there would be no glob() function to link to. So most likely the error
    >>> message you are getting is telling you the truth, i.e., the glob()
    >>> function really is unimplemented in the PHP kit you have.
    >>> You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    >>> come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >>> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    >>> sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    >>> can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    >>> decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    >> Why can't he add glob to his version of the crtl?

    > I'm already running VMS 8.3, which *should* include the glob()
    > function.... so it would seem as though the HP implementation of PHP
    > may not have that function activated.

    Which could be because the code is intended to also run on
    versions older than 8.2 !

    Arne

  10. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:50:52 -0700, Craig A. Berry
    >> You probably won't like any of your options, but these are the ones that
    >> come to mind. You can log a call with HP and see if they have any plans
    >> to update their three-year-old PHP kit, you can build it yourself from
    >> sources (which various people have reported difficulty doing), or you
    >> can ditch PHP and use Perl, which implemented its own glob() on VMS a
    >> decade or more before anyone saw fit to add it to the CRTL.

    > Why can't he add glob to his version of the crtl?

    He would still need to rebuild PHP with glob enabled.

    And "add to CRTL" ??

    Arne

  11. Re: Apache 2.1-1 and PHP 1.3 - no "glob" function?

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:58:14 -0400, Arne Vajh°j
    wrote:

    >A PHP 5 port for VMS is long overdue !

    Yeah, I'd guess so!
    I've never done any porting work.... doubt I could accomplish such a
    monumental task myself.

    When I look at the way that application builds are created in the UNIX
    world I cringe at the thought.

+ Reply to Thread