Questions i need answered - VMS

This is a discussion on Questions i need answered - VMS ; 1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to call it from the command line 2.How do I add users --Thanks ps:I know I have asked alot of beginner questions lateley, theese will be ...

  1. Questions i need answered

    1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    call it from the command line
    2.How do I add users

    --Thanks

    ps:I know I have asked alot of beginner questions lateley, theese will
    be the last.

  2. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article <1313579e-5877-425b-bb98-0211baea09e4@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, hamilton_n@encompasserve.org writes:
    >1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    >call it from the command line

    From a privileged account do a
    @sys$startup:decw$startup

    >2.How do I add users

    Again from a privileged account do
    mc authorize
    and then use the command "help".
    Please note that there is file called SYSUAF.DAT where all the users are
    stored. You should define a logical SYSUAF to point to this file.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

  3. Re: Questions i need answered

    On Aug 4, 11:22*am, gartm...@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph
    Gartmann) wrote:
    > In article <1313579e-5877-425b-bb98-0211baea0...@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups..com>, hamilto...@encompasserve.org writes:
    >
    > >1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    > >call it from the command line

    > From a privileged account do a
    > * *@sys$startup:decw$startup
    >
    > >2.How do I add users

    > Again from a privileged account do
    > * *mc authorize
    > and then use the command "help".
    > Please note that there is file called SYSUAF.DAT where all the users are
    > stored. You should define a logical SYSUAF to point to this file.
    >
    > Regards,
    > * *Christoph Gartmann
    >
    > --
    > *Max-Planck-Institut fuer * * *Phone * : +49-761-5108-464 * Fax: -80464
    > *Immunbiologie
    > *Postfach 1169 * * * * * * * * Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
    > *D-79011 *Freiburg, Germany
    > * * * * * * * *http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html

    Thank you very much, everything works great.

  4. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article <1313579e-5877-425b-bb98-0211baea09e4@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, hamilton_n@encompasserve.org writes:
    >1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    >call it from the command line

    Call DECwindows? You want a DECwindows X session. That will all depend
    on you supplying some more info on how you are accessing the VMS system.
    If it has a graphics card and a 'tube', you should get a DECwindows dia-
    log to log in if things are properly configured.

    >2.How do I add users

    There are some ADD USER scripts on the net with varying feature levels.
    THere is also on in SYS$EXAMPLES:. Other than that, you would use the
    AUTHORIZE command from a suitably privileged account.

    Simple:

    $ SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM
    $ MCR (or RUN) AUTHORIZE
    UAF> COPY DEFAULT new_user_name /ADD_IDENTIFIER
    You can then:
    UAF> MODIFY new_user_name {...}
    To set defaults, quotas, privileges, etc. See UAF> HELP MODIFY

    You will need to manually create a DEFAULT DIRECTORY for new_user_name
    somewhere on your system with $ CREATE/DIRECTORY [user_dir]
    You should use /OWNER=[new_user_name's identifier] so the user owns the
    directory you will deposit them into upon login.

    >ps:I know I have asked alot of beginner questions lateley, theese will
    >be the last.

    This is better than some of the discussion here!

    Isn't there a VMS Primer which would cover these questions and more for
    Brad?

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  5. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article <4897221f$0$5002$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Isn't there a VMS Primer which would cover these questions and more for
    > Brad?

    I don't think that it's Brad, but another person with the same surname as
    Brad's...

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  6. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article <1313579e-5877-425b-bb98-0211baea09e4@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, hamilton_n@encompasserve.org writes:
    > 1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    > call it from the command line

    You don't. If it is set up properly, it will start on the
    console. If you are trying to access it via a remote graphics
    server, you point it there via "set display".

    > 2.How do I add users

    Read the system manager's manual or you will royally screw up
    the system.

  7. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:

    > Again from a privileged account do
    > mc authorize
    > and then use the command "help".
    > Please note that there is file called SYSUAF.DAT where all the users are
    > stored. You should define a logical SYSUAF to point to this file.

    If that's all he does, his users won't be happy. He really needs to
    see the system manager's manual.

  8. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article <9WNSkRfLN8ev@eisner.encompasserve.org>, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) writes:
    >In article <4897221f$0$5002$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>
    >> Isn't there a VMS Primer which would cover these questions and more for
    >> Brad?

    >I don't think that it's Brad, but another person with the same surname as
    >Brad's...

    So right you are Simon.

    I just ran AUTHORIZE on Eisner and did a SHOW/BRIEF HAMIL*

    Three users with the surname. I'm so used to seeing Brad on Eisner that
    I didn't pay attention to the small _N in the username posting here.

    notice, disclaimer and quotations.

  9. RE: Questions i need answered

    In addition, if you want a Windows based point-click OpenVMS user /disk /
    queue mgmt solution, reference: (free)
    http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvms/products/argus/

    (see sample screen shots on web pages)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  10. Re: Questions i need answered

    hamilton_n@encompasserve.org wrote:
    > 1.How do i call decwindows, I have it installed but I dont know how to
    > call it from the command line

    Normally, DECwindows starts as part of the boot sequence on a workstation.

    MC SYSGEN SHOW

    $ mc sysgen show window_system
    Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit
    Dynamic
    -------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----
    -------
    WINDOW_SYSTEM 1 0 0 2
    Pure-numbe D

    $ mc sysgen
    SYSGEN> HELP SYS WINDOW_SYSTEM

    Sys_Parameters

    WINDOW_SYSTEM

    WINDOW_SYSTEM specifies the windowing system to be used on a
    workstation. Specify one of the following values:

    Value Description

    1 Load the DECwindows Motif for OpenVMS workstation
    environment.
    2 Load the UIS workstation environment.

    WINDOW_SYSTEM is a DYNAMIC parameter.

    Note that you should also incorporate this into the
    SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT file.

    When you boot, the graphics console will initially be text base during
    the boot sequence, and you will then switch to decwidnows with a GUI
    login screen.

    If your VMS box is a server and you wish to have a Decwidnows
    application run on another machine, you still want WINDOW_SYSTEM set to
    1 (it will load various libraries), and then, once you get to a text
    session:

    $SET DISPLAY/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE=10.11.12.13
    $RUN/PROCCESS=CLOCK SYS$SYSTEMECW$CLOCK

    The MC DECW$CLOCK will pop a clock on your remote workstation. Remember
    that the remote system must be set to accept X windows from your system.
    (which si why the DECW$CLOCK is useful for testing)

  11. Re: Questions i need answered

    On Aug 4, 12:59*pm, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    > In addition, if you want a Windows based point-click OpenVMS user /disk /
    > queue mgmt solution, reference: (free)http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvms/products/argus/
    >
    > (see sample screen shots on web pages)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kerry Main
    > Senior Consultant
    > HP Services Canada
    > Voice: 613-254-8911
    > Fax: 613-591-4477
    > kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    > (remove the DOT's and AT)
    >
    > OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.

    While OpenVMS management station ( aka argus) started out as a good
    idea for help desk tasks, etc. several flaws were pointed out to the
    powers that be and as a (bad) result there have been no updates to
    this product in years. I believe it was sent over the pond (from the
    U.S.) somewhere and never heard from again.

  12. RE: Questions i need answered

    Still works fine on my VMS V8.3 home Alphas.

    V3.3 came out in July 2006 timeframe. Reference:
    http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvm...33_Install.pdf

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  13. Re: Questions i need answered

    On Aug 5, 11:31*am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:
> [...]

    Working? Sorta. How about limiting privs to those that need to let's
    say simply reset a password, a common help desk task. How about
    calling a DCL procedure from OMS? No can do. These and several other
    suggestions were submitted and apparently fell upon deaf ears.

  14. Re: Questions i need answered

    In article
    <144bbcc7-362a-43a6-9809-f373f857e1ba@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    DaveG wrote:

    > Working? Sorta. How about limiting privs to those that need to let's
    > say simply reset a password, a common help desk task. How about
    > calling a DCL procedure from OMS? No can do. These and several other
    > suggestions were submitted and apparently fell upon deaf ears.

    There was also no means to print the disk config. Screenshots don't cut
    it for a disk farm.

    --
    Paul Sture

  15. Re: Questions i need answered

    P. Sture wrote:
    > In article
    > <144bbcc7-362a-43a6-9809-f373f857e1ba@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    > DaveG wrote:
    >
    >> Working? Sorta. How about limiting privs to those that need to let's
    >> say simply reset a password, a common help desk task. How about
    >> calling a DCL procedure from OMS? No can do. These and several other
    >> suggestions were submitted and apparently fell upon deaf ears.

    > There was also no means to print the disk config. Screenshots don't cut
    > it for a disk farm.

    A SMOP!
    Try this:
    $DISKLOOP:
    $ DEVICE=F$DEVICE("*", "DISK")
    $ IF DEVICE .EQS. "" THEN GOTO END_DISKLOOP
    $ IF F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "SHDW_MASTER")
    $ THEN
    $ SAY "''DEVICE' is a shadow set with members:"
    $ X = F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "SHDW_NEXT_MBR_NAME")
    $MEMBER_LOOP:
    $ MSG = " ''X' on ''F$GETDVI(X, "HOST_TYPE")' " + -
    "''F$GETDVI(X, "HOST_NAME")'"
    $ IF F$GETDVI(X, "HOST_COUNT") .GT. 1 THEN -
    MSG = MSG + ", Alternate host ''F$GETDVI(X, "ALT
    _HOST_NAME")'"
    $ SAY MSG
    $ X = F$GETDVI(X, "SHDW_NEXT_MBR_NAME")
    $ IF X .NES. "" THEN GOTO MEMBER_LOOP
    $ SAY F$FAO("!15<''DEVICE'!>") + " is an " + -
    F$FAO("!9<''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, FUNC)'!>")
    $ SAY " Host type ''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "HOST_TYPE")' " + -
    "Host Name ''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "HOST_NAME")'"
    $ GOTO DISKLOOP
    $ ENDIF
    $ IF F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "SHDW_MEMBER") THEN GOTO DISKLOOP
    $ SAY F$FAO("!15<''DEVICE'!>") + " is an " + -
    F$FAO("!13<''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, FUNC)'!>") + -
    " on ''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "HOST_TYPE")' " + -
    "''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "HOST_NAME")' with " + -
    "''F$GETDVI(DEVICE, "FREEBLOCKS")' Free Blocks"
    $ GOTO DISKLOOP
    $END_DISKLOOP:

    ALPHA5_$ pwd
    DISK$ALPHAVMS72_1:[DRAGON.COM]
    ALPHA5_$ dir *conf*

    Directory DISK$ALPHAVMS72_1:[DRAGON.COM]

    DO_CONFIG.COM;3 GET_CONFIG.CHK;1 GET_CONFIG.COM;64
    GET_CONFIG.COM;63
    GET_CONFIG.COM;62 GET_CONFIG.COM;61 GET_CONFIG.COM;60
    GET_CONFIG.COM;59
    GET_CONFIG.COM;58 GET_CONFIG.COM;57 GET_CONFIG.COM;56
    GET_CONFIG.COM;55

    Total of 12 files.
    ALPHA5_$ edt get_config.com

    Include file does not exist
    File nameISK$ALPHAVMS72_1:[DRAGON.COM]QUOTE.EDT;
    %RMS-E-FNF, file not found

    $! GET_CONFIG.COM
    $!
    $! Copyright 1995-2001 All rights reserved.
    $! Richard B. Gilbert
    $!
    $!
    $! A license to use and distribute this software is granted under the
    $! following terms and conditions:
    $! 1. You may not sell it. This is not intended to preclude a reasonable
    $! charge for: media, copying, shipping, and handling.
    $! 2. You may not claim you wrote it.
    $! 3. You may not remove or alter my Copyright notice or these terms and
    $! conditions.
    $! 4. You agree that this software is offered without warranty of any
    $! kind whatever. If it's broken, you fix it.
    $! 5. You accept full responsibility for determining that this software
    $! is suitable for your intended uses.
    $! 6. You may not modify this software unless:
    $! a. You make your modifications in such a way that it is clear
    $! which parts of the modified software are your changes and
    $! which are part of the original.
    $! b. You make your changes freely available to all other licensees

    Include file does not exist

  16. Re: Questions i need answered

    On Aug 6, 4:31*pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > $! following terms and conditions:
    > $! 1. You may not sell it. This is not intended to preclude a reasonable
    > $! * *charge for: media, copying, shipping, and handling.
    > $! 2. You may not claim you wrote it.
    > $! 3. You may not remove or alter my Copyright notice or these terms and
    > $! * *conditions.
    > $! 4. You agree that this software is offered without warranty of any
    > $! * *kind whatever. *If it's broken, you fix it.
    > $! 5. You accept full responsibility for determining that this software
    > $! * *is suitable for your intended uses.
    > $! 6. You may not modify this software unless:
    > $! * * *a. You make your modifications in such a way that it is clear
    > $! * * * * which parts of the modified software are your changes and
    > $! * * * * which are part of the original.
    > $! * * *b. You make your changes freely available to all other licensees

    the procedures look fine and I'm sure there are a few more floating
    around, but the point ( I think ) was that OMS cannot do this knda
    stuff - it was suggested that this be added, but to no avail.

    Think help-desk here as they probably (only) know point and click, not
    @whatever green screen.

  17. Re: Questions i need answered

    DaveG wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 11:31 am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    Shame is there used to be a great product that did just this.

    When I worked at Symark we resold a product called UAFMAESTRO and
    X-UAFMAESTRO. You could connect to any node anywhere in your network
    (that had our server portion installed, anyway) and update all sorts of
    things. You could config the product so that "helpdesk" could only
    change passwords, etc. We sold it for a pittance and supported it
    vigorously, but we didn't sell much of it.

    I was even working on a Winders GUI front-end that would talk to the
    back-end servers to allow even the "winders special helmet" folks do
    basic auth fixes without having to figure out how to log into VMS and
    run authorize, etc. (It did diskquotas, rightslists, acls, and a bunch
    of other stuff, too)

    Developer and support salaries (minimal) out stripped sales (lower than
    minimal), and it was canned.

    Lather, rinse, repeat, for just about every third-party product in the
    VMS space. I'd guess HP is suffering from the same problem.

+ Reply to Thread