HP buys EDS - VMS

This is a discussion on HP buys EDS - VMS ; On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote: > Anybody here care to comment on wether this recent acquisition by > HP will bode well for VMS? EDS may actually be a large scale VMS > user ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: HP buys EDS

    On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > Anybody here care to comment on wether this recent acquisition by
    > HP will bode well for VMS? EDS may actually be a large scale VMS
    > user and may have a vested interest in seeing it survive. They
    > are, at least, a company that understands software and marketing.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > billg999@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    The answers to your questions, at least as of 2004 when I got laid off from
    the U.S. Postal account when they took management of our cluster back
    in-house, are no, no and no.

    I have written previously about how USPS uses VMS- they *are* a large-scale
    VMS customer- again, my direct knowledge is somewhat indirect and dated, as
    the large usage was in operations (route calculation, mail sorters) and not
    finance, which was what our cluster did.

    Sorry.

    WWWebb

  2. Re: HP buys EDS

    In article <6g8jpiFen8kbU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > I offer as an example a case quite some time ago of a company paid to
    > create a simulator for the F16. In the testing phase a someone climbed
    > into the ****pit, hit the raise landing gear switch and watched the
    > simulator crash on the the simulated surface. Of course, everyone
    > immediately argued that this was a major bug, until they found out that
    > performing the same action in a real F16 had the same result!! Thankfully,
    > they they fixed both of them.

    Failure to review lessons learned. During the Korean War, the F86
    had the same bug.

    Which cost cutter left out the squat switch?

  3. Re: HP buys EDS

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > HP knows that to reach the same size as IBM, it needs to grow its
    > services business.

    You must have missed it, but HP passed IBM a year or two ago to become
    the highest-annual-revenue technology company in the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2