HELP text error for ANALYZE/MEDIA - VMS

This is a discussion on HELP text error for ANALYZE/MEDIA - VMS ; Hello everyone, I've just discovered an error in the help text for the ANALYZE/MEDIA command (the bad block locator utility) on both Alpha and Itanium V8.3 releases. There are two almost identical copies of the same text, except for some ...

  1. HELP text error for ANALYZE/MEDIA

    Hello everyone,

    I've just discovered an error in the help text for the ANALYZE/MEDIA command
    (the bad block locator utility) on both Alpha and Itanium V8.3 releases.

    There are two almost identical copies of the same text, except for some slight
    changes: different case for the BAD acronym and the sentence "This manual is
    posted with other archived manuals on the OpenVMS Documentation website" added
    to the second copy.

    I think it's not a serious error, but it makes difficult to search for command
    subtopics because ANALYZE/MEDIA is considered ambiguous.

    I'm a Hobbyist, so I do not have any support contract. How can I signal this
    problem to HP Engineering to have it corrected?

    Thanks,
    G. (not english native, sorry for any errors)

  2. Re: HELP text error for ANALYZE/MEDIA

    gerry77@no.spam.mail.com wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've just discovered an error in the help text for the ANALYZE/MEDIA command
    > (the bad block locator utility) on both Alpha and Itanium V8.3 releases.
    >
    > There are two almost identical copies of the same text, except for some slight
    > changes: different case for the BAD acronym and the sentence "This manual is
    > posted with other archived manuals on the OpenVMS Documentation website" added
    > to the second copy.
    >
    > I think it's not a serious error, but it makes difficult to search for command
    > subtopics because ANALYZE/MEDIA is considered ambiguous.
    >
    > I'm a Hobbyist, so I do not have any support contract. How can I signal this
    > problem to HP Engineering to have it corrected?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > G. (not english native, sorry for any errors)

    Note also that ANALYZE/MEDIA is, for the most part, obsolete. Only very
    old media do not provide for bad block replacement local to the drive.

    For modern SCSI and FC disks, low-level format is the preferred way to
    verify/refresh the device's bad block list.

    D.J.D.

  3. Re: HELP text error for ANALYZE/MEDIA

    On Jul 5, 11:22*pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > gerr...@no.spam.mail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone,

    > > I've just discovered an error in the help text for the ANALYZE/MEDIA command
    > > (the bad block locator utility) on both Alpha and Itanium V8.3 releases..

    > > There are two almost identical copies of the same text, except for someslight
    > > changes: different case for the BAD acronym and the sentence "This manual is
    > > posted with other archived manuals on the OpenVMS Documentation website" added
    > > to the second copy.

    > > I think it's not a serious error, but it makes difficult to search for command
    > > subtopics because ANALYZE/MEDIA is considered ambiguous.

    > > I'm a Hobbyist, so I do not have any support contract. How can I signalthis
    > > problem to HP Engineering to have it corrected?

    > > Thanks,
    > > G. (not english native, sorry for any errors)

    > Note also that ANALYZE/MEDIA is, for the most part, obsolete. Only very
    > old media do not provide for bad block replacement local to the drive.
    >
    > For modern SCSI and FC disks, low-level format is the preferred way to
    > verify/refresh the device's bad block list.
    >
    > D.J.D.

    try posting a message using the feedback form on the HP VMS site
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_business.html

    I use ANAL/MEDIA/EXER=FULL as a way of erasing disks or as a way of
    testing them.

+ Reply to Thread