[Related topic] Question about NTP.CONF master and local-mastercommands - VMS

This is a discussion on [Related topic] Question about NTP.CONF master and local-mastercommands - VMS ; Hello, What is the point of the local-master and master commands? Can't you just use the server command to point nodes to the "local-master"? Suppose I have a fleet of VAX systems in London and another in NYC and a ...

  1. [Related topic] Question about NTP.CONF master and local-mastercommands

    Hello,

    What is the point of the local-master and master commands? Can't you
    just use the server command to point nodes to the "local-master"?

    Suppose I have a fleet of VAX systems in London and another in NYC and
    a non-VMS NTP server in our NYC office. Can't I just have each London
    VAX point to a particular London VAX and have that particular London
    VAX point to a set of VAX systems in NYC or even our NTP server (which
    is NOT a VAX system). And then if the WAN goes down, all the London
    VAX systems would then sync off the "local-master" London VAX?

    local-master in London (node A):
    server NYC VAX system NY1 prefer
    server NYC VAX system NY2

    local-master in London (node A):
    server NYC VAX (or NYC NTP source)

    Other London VAX systems:
    server node-A prefer
    server node-B

    NY1 and NY2:
    server non-VAX NTP-system

    Wouldn't this work? Why would I need a local-master or master commands
    anywhere, and if so where and how?

    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've been looking on the net
    and in the FM and still don't see the point.

    BTW, I'm running TCPware 5.3-3.

    Thanks!

    AEF

  2. Re: Question about NTP.CONF master and local-master commands

    On Jul 3, 11:58 am, AEF wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is the point of the local-master and master commands? Can't you
    > just use the server command to point nodes to the "local-master"?
    >
    > Suppose I have a fleet of VAX systems in London and another in NYC and
    > a non-VMS NTP server in our NYC office. Can't I just have each London
    > VAX point to a particular London VAX and have that particular London
    > VAX point to a set of VAX systems in NYC or even our NTP server (which
    > is NOT a VAX system). And then if the WAN goes down, all the London
    > VAX systems would then sync off the "local-master" London VAX?
    >
    > local-master in London (node A):
    > server NYC VAX system NY1 prefer
    > server NYC VAX system NY2
    >
    > local-master in London (node A):
    > server NYC VAX (or NYC NTP source)
    >
    > Other London VAX systems:
    > server node-A prefer
    > server node-B
    >
    > NY1 and NY2:
    > server non-VAX NTP-system
    >
    > Wouldn't this work? Why would I need a local-master or master commands
    > anywhere, and if so where and how?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've been looking on the net
    > and in the FM and still don't see the point.
    >
    > BTW, I'm running TCPware 5.3-3.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > AEF

    This was cross-posted to comp.os.vms. Prefer response there.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread