TAM (Terminal Access Monitor) - VMS

This is a discussion on TAM (Terminal Access Monitor) - VMS ; I'm supporting a VMS environment where something called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used. It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT terminals. The available docs are from Digital and dated 1981-something. I'm mainly interested in if this tool had any ...

  1. TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    and dated 1981-something.

    I'm mainly interested in if this tool had any
    wider usage within the VMS community.

    Google didn't know anything about it, b.t.w.

    Jan-Erik.

  2. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    > called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    > It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    > terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    > and dated 1981-something.

    Three years before I was VAXinated! There may be/have been such a
    product but I never encountered it or even any mention of it!

  3. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >> I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    >> called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    >> It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    >> terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    >> and dated 1981-something.

    > Three years before I was VAXinated! There may be/have been such a
    > product but I never encountered it or even any mention of it!

    Maybe I should have mentioned that the TAM-manual
    (a printout of an Runoff file) is a combined
    RSX and VMS manuall... :-)

    TAM *might* have been a local "product" written at
    the Digital office in Sweden.

    Anyway, still in heavy use on Alpha 8.2 with 100's
    of users.

    Jan-Erik.

  4. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Jan-Erik Söderholm <
    jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com> wrote:

    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    >>> called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    >>> It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    >>> terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    >>> and dated 1981-something.
    >>>

    >> Three years before I was VAXinated! There may be/have been such a product
    >> but I never encountered it or even any mention of it!
    >>

    > Maybe I should have mentioned that the TAM-manual
    > (a printout of an Runoff file) is a combined
    > RSX and VMS manuall... :-)
    >
    > TAM *might* have been a local "product" written at
    > the Digital office in Sweden.
    >
    > Anyway, still in heavy use on Alpha 8.2 with 100's
    > of users.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    To those of us in the US, TAM will always stand for "Technical Account
    Manager" even though the guys who used to be them have different job titles
    now.

    WWWebb

  5. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    William Webb wrote:

    > On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > > wrote:
    >
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    > I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    > called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    > It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    > terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    > and dated 1981-something.
    >

    > Three years before I was VAXinated! There may be/have been such
    > a product but I never encountered it or even any mention of it!
    >

    > Maybe I should have mentioned that the TAM-manual
    > (a printout of an Runoff file) is a combined
    > RSX and VMS manuall... :-)
    >
    > TAM *might* have been a local "product" written at
    > the Digital office in Sweden.
    >
    > Anyway, still in heavy use on Alpha 8.2 with 100's
    > of users.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.
    >

    > To those of us in the US, TAM will always stand for "Technical Account
    > Manager" even though the guys who used to be them have different job
    > titles now.
    >
    > WWWebb

    Yes, that's what Google told me also. :-)
    In this case, it *is* "Terminal Access Mmonitor".

    Jan-Erik.

  6. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    In article , jan-
    erik.soderholm@telia.com says...
    > William Webb wrote:
    > >

    > > On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > >
    > > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    > > called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    > > It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    > > terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    > > and dated 1981-something.
    > >

    > > Three years before I was VAXinated! There may be/have been such
    > > a product but I never encountered it or even any mention of it!
    > >

    > > Maybe I should have mentioned that the TAM-manual
    > > (a printout of an Runoff file) is a combined
    > > RSX and VMS manuall... :-)
    > >
    > > TAM *might* have been a local "product" written at
    > > the Digital office in Sweden.
    > >
    > > Anyway, still in heavy use on Alpha 8.2 with 100's
    > > of users.
    > >
    > > Jan-Erik.
    > >

    > > To those of us in the US, TAM will always stand for "Technical Account
    > > Manager" even though the guys who used to be them have different job
    > > titles now.
    > >
    > > WWWebb

    > Yes, that's what Google told me also. :-)
    > In this case, it *is* "Terminal Access Mmonitor".
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    This sounds like TAM from my company, Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

    It does screen managment (for many types of terminals), using a
    high level language to describe the layout, field validations,
    etc.

    Originally written for RSTS/E, ported to RSX and VMS.

    I believe at one time DEC was a customer. However, if they were
    distributing it without proper attribution (and payment and
    license agreements), they were in violation of their license
    agreement with us.

    Contact support@egh.com for more information. We still have
    some people who are familiar with the product.

    --
    John

  7. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    Jan-Erik Söderholm skrev:
    > I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    > called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    > It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    > terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    > and dated 1981-something.
    >
    > I'm mainly interested in if this tool had any
    > wider usage within the VMS community.
    >
    > Google didn't know anything about it, b.t.w.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    I have a tape with TAM for RSX here. It looks like something locally done at
    Digital Sweden, but I haven't properly looked through all the stuff in there.

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  8. Re: TAM (Terminal Access Monitor)

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm skrev:
    >> I'm supporting a VMS environment where something
    >> called TAM, Terminal Access Mmonitor, is used.
    >> It's a screen/forms/terminal tool to manage VT
    >> terminals. The available docs are from Digital
    >> and dated 1981-something.
    >>
    >> I'm mainly interested in if this tool had any
    >> wider usage within the VMS community.
    >>
    >> Google didn't know anything about it, b.t.w.
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.

    > I have a tape with TAM for RSX here. It looks like something locally
    > done at Digital Sweden, but I haven't properly looked through all the
    > stuff in there.
    >
    > Johnny

    Yes, that sounds more like the TAM that's used at the
    site I'm supporting. In this case VMS on Alpha. My guess
    is that this TAM-thing would be a "Itanium-problem"... :-)

    Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread