Re: DS10L clock battery question - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: DS10L clock battery question - VMS ; From: JF Mezei > With a DS10L "soft" powered off > > Aka: hardware button is "ON", but system is OFF, with the RMC active on > serial port, > > Does this status result in external power being used ...

  1. Re: DS10L clock battery question

    From: JF Mezei

    > With a DS10L "soft" powered off
    >
    > Aka: hardware button is "ON", but system is OFF, with the RMC active on
    > serial port,
    >
    > Does this status result in external power being used to keep the
    > motherboard's clock alive ?

    If it's talking to a serial port, then (all) the power's not really
    off, is it? Or do you think that the RMC is running off the battery? I
    know nothing, but this sounds unlikely. And if there's some power, it
    might be running the clock. too.

    > AKA: if the system remains in this state for a long period of time, will
    > it draw down the clock's battery as it would if it were unplugged ?

    I'd assume not, but if you're worried, measure the current. I'd
    assume that a suitable probe could be constructed from a bit of paper
    and two bits of aluminum foil. Faster and easier than finding anyone
    who actually knows the answer (a priori). And more reliable.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: DS10L clock battery question

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:

    > If it's talking to a serial port, then (all) the power's not really
    > off, is it?

    But the definition of "not really off" is what counts here...

    If the RMC gets a unswitched 5VDC feed from the main power supply, and
    controls a relay inside the power supply on whether main power to the
    motherboard is applied or not, then it depends on whether the clock
    battery is supplied with power from the unswitched or the switched
    portion of the power supply ("switched" in the on/off context, not in a
    "switching power supply" context)

    > and two bits of aluminum foil. Faster and easier than finding anyone
    > who actually knows the answer (a priori). And more reliable.

    I figured/hoped/counted-on/bet-my-life someone here might know :-)

    Because the clock/battery are supposedly integrated into a single chip
    on the DS10 (non replaceable if I recall), it becomes hard to know where
    to stick probes in to see if power is being applied or not.

+ Reply to Thread