LAT SET PORT problem - VMS

This is a discussion on LAT SET PORT problem - VMS ; Hi. I've got a LAT problem that extensive googling and VMS doc-search hasn't solved. For a specific LTA-number, I can't SET PORT. Below is the output for one port (2312) that works OK and one (2311) that always gives BADPARAM ...

  1. LAT SET PORT problem

    Hi.
    I've got a LAT problem that extensive googling and
    VMS doc-search hasn't solved.

    For a specific LTA-number, I can't SET PORT.

    Below is the output for one port (2312) that
    works OK and one (2311) that always gives
    BADPARAM back. The same command line was used,
    just "recalled" and edited inline to change
    "12" into "11".

    I saw some (very) old entry on some forum where
    there was a note about some earlier problem with
    "some port-numbers". But that was *very* old...

    This site uses 100's of LTA devices, and I do not
    think that they have seen this error before.

    VMS 8.2 on a DS20e using UPDATE-6 patch level.

    Jan-Erik.

    $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2312: /NOLOG
    $ LCP SET PORT LTA2312: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_12
    $

    $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2311: /NOLOG
    $ LCP SET PORT LTA2311: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_11
    %LAT-W-CMDERROR, error reported by command executor
    -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

  2. Re: LAT SET PORT problem

    On Jun 11, 10:51 am, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've got a LAT problem that extensive googling and
    > VMS doc-search hasn't solved.
    >
    > For a specific LTA-number, I can't SET PORT.
    >
    > Below is the output for one port (2312) that
    > works OK and one (2311) that always gives
    > BADPARAM back. The same command line was used,
    > just "recalled" and edited inline to change
    > "12" into "11".
    >
    > I saw some (very) old entry on some forum where
    > there was a note about some earlier problem with
    > "some port-numbers". But that was *very* old...
    >
    > This site uses 100's of LTA devices, and I do not
    > think that they have seen this error before.
    >
    > VMS 8.2 on a DS20e using UPDATE-6 patch level.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.
    >
    > $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2312: /NOLOG
    > $ LCP SET PORT LTA2312: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_12
    > $
    >
    > $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2311: /NOLOG
    > $ LCP SET PORT LTA2311: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_11
    > %LAT-W-CMDERROR, error reported by command executor
    > -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

    My guess is someone renamed the port on the terminal server. We
    normally do this for ports used for reverse LAT so we can tell from
    the terminal server console what "device" is supposed to be at the end
    of the asynch line attached to the port.

    Bill

  3. Re: LAT SET PORT problem

    BHall wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 10:51 am, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >> I've got a LAT problem that extensive googling and
    >> VMS doc-search hasn't solved.
    >>
    >> For a specific LTA-number, I can't SET PORT.
    >>
    >> Below is the output for one port (2312) that
    >> works OK and one (2311) that always gives
    >> BADPARAM back. The same command line was used,
    >> just "recalled" and edited inline to change
    >> "12" into "11".
    >>
    >> I saw some (very) old entry on some forum where
    >> there was a note about some earlier problem with
    >> "some port-numbers". But that was *very* old...
    >>
    >> This site uses 100's of LTA devices, and I do not
    >> think that they have seen this error before.
    >>
    >> VMS 8.2 on a DS20e using UPDATE-6 patch level.
    >>
    >> Jan-Erik.
    >>
    >> $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2312: /NOLOG
    >> $ LCP SET PORT LTA2312: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_12
    >> $
    >>
    >> $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2311: /NOLOG
    >> $ LCP SET PORT LTA2311: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_11
    >> %LAT-W-CMDERROR, error reported by command executor
    >> -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

    > My guess is someone renamed the port on the terminal server. We
    > normally do this for ports used for reverse LAT so we can tell from
    > the terminal server console what "device" is supposed to be at the end
    > of the asynch line attached to the port.
    >
    > Bill

    1. No, it's not renamed (I should/could have said that).

    2. Are you sure that the SET PORT command actualy
    tries to access the term-server ?
    $
    $ mc latcp cre port lta111:
    $ mc latcp set port lta111: /appl /node=xyz /port=abc
    $

    That dosn't report any error even if neither the node
    nor the port exists.

    Jan-Erik.

  4. Re: LAT SET PORT problem

    On Jun 11, 11:58 am, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > BHall wrote:
    > > On Jun 11, 10:51 am, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi.
    > >> I've got a LAT problem that extensive googling and
    > >> VMS doc-search hasn't solved.

    > >> For a specific LTA-number, I can't SET PORT.

    > >> Below is the output for one port (2312) that
    > >> works OK and one (2311) that always gives
    > >> BADPARAM back. The same command line was used,
    > >> just "recalled" and edited inline to change
    > >> "12" into "11".

    > >> I saw some (very) old entry on some forum where
    > >> there was a note about some earlier problem with
    > >> "some port-numbers". But that was *very* old...

    > >> This site uses 100's of LTA devices, and I do not
    > >> think that they have seen this error before.

    > >> VMS 8.2 on a DS20e using UPDATE-6 patch level.

    > >> Jan-Erik.

    > >> $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2312: /NOLOG
    > >> $ LCP SET PORT LTA2312: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_12
    > >> $

    > >> $ LCP CREATE PORT LTA2311: /NOLOG
    > >> $ LCP SET PORT LTA2311: /APPLICATION /NODE=TS23 /PORT=PORT_11
    > >> %LAT-W-CMDERROR, error reported by command executor
    > >> -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value

    > > My guess is someone renamed the port on the terminal server. We
    > > normally do this for ports used for reverse LAT so we can tell from
    > > the terminal server console what "device" is supposed to be at the end
    > > of the asynch line attached to the port.

    > > Bill

    > 1. No, it's not renamed (I should/could have said that).
    >
    > 2. Are you sure that the SET PORT command actualy
    > tries to access the term-server ?
    > $
    > $ mc latcp cre port lta111:
    > $ mc latcp set port lta111: /appl /node=xyz /port=abc
    > $
    >
    > That dosn't report any error even if neither the node
    > nor the port exists.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    Jan-Erik,

    Yes, on an VMS 8.3 system LATCP does not attempt to verify the set
    port definition is valid. Off the top of my head I thought it did at
    one time. I've tried to reproduce your error and can't. Does $latcp
    show port lta2311: look "normal" to you? Did you try deleting the
    port and recreating it?

    Bill

  5. Re: LAT SET PORT problem

    Oh well, should have checked *THAT* first !

    $ show logical port_11
    "PORT_11" = "TNA1101:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
    $

    Now, who the hell have defined *that* logical... :-)

    It's not in any .COM file on the system, so someone
    must have defined it manualy...

    Sorry for the intrusion...

    Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread