AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E - VMS

This is a discussion on AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E - VMS ; To all, Does anyone have (or a pointer) to the power and thermal specifications for the AlphaStation 200? I would like to check the power and cooling vis-a-vis a RZ29B-E (aka Seagate Barracuda ST15150- N). - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com...

  1. AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E

    To all,

    Does anyone have (or a pointer) to the power and thermal
    specifications for the AlphaStation 200? I would like to check the
    power and cooling vis-a-vis a RZ29B-E (aka Seagate Barracuda ST15150-
    N).

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  2. Re: AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E

    In article
    <2e0f166f-1083-4466-9ac4-aa36b16ad311@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>, Bob
    Gezelter writes:

    > To all,
    >
    > Does anyone have (or a pointer) to the power and thermal
    > specifications for the AlphaStation 200? I would like to check the
    > power and cooling vis-a-vis a RZ29B-E (aka Seagate Barracuda ST15150-
    > N).

    I have several RZ29L-%% disks. IIRC, they run too hot for the
    AlphaStation 200. External SCSI boxes are cheap; why not put the
    disk(s) in an external box? Much easier to swap.

  3. Re: AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >In article
    ><2e0f166f-1083-4466-9ac4-aa36b16ad311@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>, Bob
    >Gezelter writes:
    >
    >> To all,
    >>
    >> Does anyone have (or a pointer) to the power and thermal
    >> specifications for the AlphaStation 200? I would like to check the
    >> power and cooling vis-a-vis a RZ29B-E (aka Seagate Barracuda ST15150-
    >> N).

    >I have several RZ29L-%% disks. IIRC, they run too hot for the
    >AlphaStation 200. External SCSI boxes are cheap; why not put the
    >disk(s) in an external box? Much easier to swap.

    I do have one in an AS200. It's been happily running for years. However,
    they do run hot so I have only one in the AS200 and I modified the mounting
    sled to allow the drive to be mounted in the middle of the space.

    I do not, however, have any thermal documentation to satisfy Bob's initial
    request. Sorry Bob. I do have one of the original specs for mounting the
    Alpha chip and its heat sink. That, I believe, is all that I have with any
    thermal figures/specs.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: AlphaStation 200 and RZ29B-E

    On Jun 11, 9:13 am, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > To all,
    >
    > Does anyone have (or a pointer) to the power and thermal
    > specifications for the AlphaStation 200? I would like to check the
    > power and cooling vis-a-vis a RZ29B-E (aka Seagate Barracuda ST15150-
    > N).
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    Bob, I don't have full specs handy but here's what little I do have.
    This is from the pre-release AS200 user guide:

    100-120VAC Rated Input Current 4A (including outlet)
    220-240VAX Rated Input Current 3A (including outlet)
    Power supply max rating: 180W (no breakdown of max current for
    different voltage supplies)

    Following is for the other (later?) power supply, a 210W unit:

    Auxiliary AC output 2 Amps max at 115 volts (1 Amp at 230 volts)

    DC Outputs Max Load Max Power Ripple (Peak to Peak)
    +3.3 V 35.0 Amp 115.5 W 50 mV
    +5.0 V 30.0 Amp 150.0 W 50 mV
    -5.0 V 0.3 Amp 1.5 W 150 mV
    +12.0 V 4.6 Amp 55.2 W 100 mV
    -12.0 V 0.3 Amp 3.6 W 150 mV
    Total 210 W
    Note: The maximum power from any combination of +3.3 V and +5.0 V
    together does not exceed 150 W.

    Environmental only lists the following:

    Operating temperature range 10C to 40C
    Maximum rate of change 11C per hour
    Relative humidity 20% to 80% with diskette or tape
    Altitude 2400 meters (8000 feet) @36C
    Acoustic - power 4.8 B LWAd (Idle), 4.9 B LWAd (operating)
    Acoustic - pressure 39 dBA LpAm (idle), 40 dBA LpAm (operating)

    Nothing about internal heat or heat/power handling for the drives;
    that would probably be in a tech or service manual that I don't have.

    The RZ29s were Barracuda's weren't they? You could probably find the
    power/heat specs for them online.

    I agree with Phillip; we ran an RZ29 in an AS200 for about 1 week in
    the internal bay; the heat radiating from the top of the case over the
    drive was impressive (the drive touched the case lid).

    We then put it into the CDROM bay with a front cooling fan (the same
    thing we used to do to keep RZ29s alive in a DECAXP PC150) and that
    was OK for the time we had to run it (when we got a newer, thinner,
    cooler, bigger drive to run in the internal bay).

    I would not recommend this drive in the inside bay.

+ Reply to Thread