where to buy these 2 vms books? - VMS

This is a discussion on where to buy these 2 vms books? - VMS ; I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details, e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another, ...

  1. where to buy these 2 vms books?

    I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot
    find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various
    bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details,
    e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another,
    but ISBNs seem to be correct.

    Could anybody recommend a bookseller
    that might have either books in stock please.

    many thanks
    anton

    OpenVMS Performance Management
    von Hein VanKoelen (Autor), Joginder Sethi (Autor), Hein van Koelen (Autor)
    * Verlag: Digital Press; Auflage: 2nd Ed (30. April 2003)
    * ISBN-10: 1555582753
    * ISBN-13: 978-1555582753

    Writing Open VMS Alpha Device Drivers in C:
    Developer's Guide and Reference Manual (Paperback)
    by Margie Sherlock (Author), Leonard Szubowicz (Author)

    * Paperback: 896 pages
    * Publisher: Digital Press; 2nd Ed edition (31 Jul 1999) or 2003 ?
    * Language English
    * ISBN-10: 1555582095
    * ISBN-13: 978-1555582098

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building

  2. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    On Jun 10, 11:37 am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot
    > find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various
    > bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details,
    > e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another,
    > but ISBNs seem to be correct.
    >
    > Could anybody recommend a bookseller
    > that might have either books in stock please.
    >
    > many thanks
    > anton
    >
    > OpenVMS Performance Management
    > von Hein VanKoelen (Autor), Joginder Sethi (Autor), Hein van Koelen (Autor)
    > * Verlag: Digital Press; Auflage: 2nd Ed (30. April 2003)
    > * ISBN-10: 1555582753
    > * ISBN-13: 978-1555582753

    Available at Amazon (US) http://www.amazon.com/OpenVMS-Perfor.../dp/1555581269
    Amazon IK
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenVMS-Perf...3119058&sr=8-1

    Or from the publisher Elsevier (Formerly Digital Press)
    http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/boo...on#description

    > Writing Open VMS Alpha Device Drivers in C:
    > Developer's Guide and Reference Manual (Paperback)
    > by Margie Sherlock (Author), Leonard Szubowicz (Author)
    >
    > * Paperback: 896 pages
    > * Publisher: Digital Press; 2nd Ed edition (31 Jul 1999) or 2003 ?
    > * Language English
    > * ISBN-10: 1555582095
    > * ISBN-13: 978-1555582098

    Long out of print. You have to search far and wide to find the 2nd
    edition. I got a copy of the 1st edition on Ebay, but Amazon has some
    through it's associate sellers.

    > --
    > Anton Shterenlikht
    > Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    > Mech Eng Dept
    > Bristol University
    > University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    > Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    > Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  3. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    In article <02d1c911-043a-4cc1-8b66-5aee83180306@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" writes:
    >On Jun 10, 11:37 am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    >> I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot
    >> find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various
    >> bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details,
    >> e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another,
    >> but ISBNs seem to be correct.
    >>
    >> Could anybody recommend a bookseller
    >> that might have either books in stock please.
    >>
    >> many thanks
    >> anton
    >>
    >> OpenVMS Performance Management
    >> von Hein VanKoelen (Autor), Joginder Sethi (Autor), Hein van Koelen (Autor)
    >> * Verlag: Digital Press; Auflage: 2nd Ed (30. April 2003)
    >> * ISBN-10: 1555582753
    >> * ISBN-13: 978-1555582753

    >Available at Amazon (US) http://www.amazon.com/OpenVMS-Perfor.../dp/1555581269
    >Amazon IK
    >http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenVMS-Perf...3119058&sr=8-1
    >
    >Or from the publisher Elsevier (Formerly Digital Press)
    >http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/boo...on#description
    >

    >> Writing Open VMS Alpha Device Drivers in C:
    >> Developer's Guide and Reference Manual (Paperback)
    >> by Margie Sherlock (Author), Leonard Szubowicz (Author)
    >>
    >> * Paperback: 896 pages
    >> * Publisher: Digital Press; 2nd Ed edition (31 Jul 1999) or 2003 ?
    >> * Language English
    >> * ISBN-10: 1555582095
    >> * ISBN-13: 978-1555582098
    >>

    >Long out of print. You have to search far and wide to find the 2nd
    >edition. I got a copy of the 1st edition on Ebay, but Amazon has some
    >through it's associate sellers.

    Sue made several copies of Margie's book available and free for the taking
    at Bookcamp. Another benefit of OpenVMS Bootcamp.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <02d1c911-043a-4cc1-8b66-5aee83180306@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" writes:
    >> On Jun 10, 11:37 am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    >>> Writing Open VMS Alpha Device Drivers in C:
    >>> Developer's Guide and Reference Manual (Paperback)
    >>> by Margie Sherlock (Author), Leonard Szubowicz (Author)
    >>>
    >>> * Paperback: 896 pages
    >>> * Publisher: Digital Press; 2nd Ed edition (31 Jul 1999) or 2003 ?
    >>> * Language English
    >>> * ISBN-10: 1555582095
    >>> * ISBN-13: 978-1555582098

    >> Long out of print. You have to search far and wide to find the 2nd
    >> edition. I got a copy of the 1st edition on Ebay, but Amazon has some
    >> through it's associate sellers.

    > Sue made several copies of Margie's book available and free for the taking
    > at Bookcamp. Another benefit of OpenVMS Bootcamp.

    I was under the impression a lot of the information in this book was
    out-of-date anyway. I certainly don't remember any 64-bit information in
    it. Unless it showed up in the 2nd edition and I only saw the first.

  5. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    In article , Ryan Moore writes:
    >On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> Long out of print. You have to search far and wide to find the 2nd
    >>> edition. I got a copy of the 1st edition on Ebay, but Amazon has some
    >>> through it's associate sellers.

    >> Sue made several copies of Margie's book available and free for the taking
    >> at Bookcamp. Another benefit of OpenVMS Bootcamp.

    >I was under the impression a lot of the information in this book was
    >out-of-date anyway. I certainly don't remember any 64-bit information in
    >it. Unless it showed up in the 2nd edition and I only saw the first.

    C'mon! We all know that the definitive documentation is called the source
    listings. I have two copies of the book (one Margie signed for me) and I
    have only used it for cursory reference.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot
    > find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various
    > bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details,
    > e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another,
    > but ISBNs seem to be correct.
    >
    > Could anybody recommend a bookseller
    > that might have either books in stock please.
    >
    > many thanks
    > anton
    >
    > OpenVMS Performance Management
    > von Hein VanKoelen (Autor), Joginder Sethi (Autor), Hein van Koelen (Autor)
    > * Verlag: Digital Press; Auflage: 2nd Ed (30. April 2003)
    > * ISBN-10: 1555582753
    > * ISBN-13: 978-1555582753
    >
    > Writing Open VMS Alpha Device Drivers in C:
    > Developer's Guide and Reference Manual (Paperback)
    > by Margie Sherlock (Author), Leonard Szubowicz (Author)
    >
    > * Paperback: 896 pages
    > * Publisher: Digital Press; 2nd Ed edition (31 Jul 1999) or 2003 ?
    > * Language English
    > * ISBN-10: 1555582095
    > * ISBN-13: 978-1555582098

    If you can't find these volumes on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble (don't
    know the URL) they are probably out of print and no longer available!

  7. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:41:04AM -0700, johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 11:37 am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > > I'm interested in these 2 books, both 2nd edition, but cannot
    > > find any bookseller that have either. The books appear on various
    > > bookseller sites, but all "unavailable". Moreover, the details,
    > > e.g. publication year, differ slightly from one site to another,
    > > but ISBNs seem to be correct.
    > >
    > > Could anybody recommend a bookseller
    > > that might have either books in stock please.
    > >
    > > many thanks
    > > anton
    > >
    > > OpenVMS Performance Management
    > > von Hein VanKoelen (Autor), Joginder Sethi (Autor), Hein van Koelen (Autor)
    > > * Verlag: Digital Press; Auflage: 2nd Ed (30. April 2003)
    > > * ISBN-10: 1555582753
    > > * ISBN-13: 978-1555582753

    > Available at Amazon (US) http://www.amazon.com/OpenVMS-Perfor.../dp/1555581269
    > Amazon IK
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenVMS-Perf...3119058&sr=8-1
    >
    > Or from the publisher Elsevier (Formerly Digital Press)
    > http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/boo...on#description

    no, that's the 1st edition. I need the 2nd edition, from 2003.

    thanks
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  8. Re: where to buy these 2 vms books?

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > C'mon! We all know that the definitive documentation is called the source
    > listings. I have two copies of the book (one Margie signed for me) and I
    > have only used it for cursory reference.

    Lenny's book (he provided the technical content; Margie was the technical
    writer) is very much out of date. If you are unfamiliar with the VMS device
    driver model and the various data structures involved (UCB, IRP, DDT, FDT, DPT,
    etc.), reading this book can be a good first step in seeking to understand
    this stuff.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

+ Reply to Thread